Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

worth a gamble

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Performances have been mediocre? Apart from dews and the eagles we have put 40 plus on every other team we've played so far. I wouldn't call that mediocre myself.

Maybe so but weve done the spadework in the first 40 in most of them games, playing downhill in the second 40 we drew with barrow 12-12 and lost to hunslet 18-16 games where we perhaps should have done a lot better and we havent especially as we were at home, mediocre no, but not satisfying either

Edited by elppaxr2i, 27 March 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#42 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Maybe so but weve done the spadework in the first 40 in most of them games, playing downhill in the second 40 we drew with barrow 12-12 and lost to hunslet 18-16 games where we perhaps should have done a lot better and we havent especially as we were at home, mediocre no, but not satisfying either

I agree but when you've won the game at HT its hard to come out in the second half and perform as you know the games won. That's not an excuse by the way as pro players should still come out and play their best but I can also understand why they didn't/ haven't too.Even the fax fans are saying their team as been playing mediocre too but they haven't lost a game. I'm just saying its hard to please everyone fans will always want more from their team.

Edited by thundergaz, 27 March 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#43 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

I agree but when you've won the game at HT its hard to come out in the second half and perform as you know the games won. That's not an excuse by the way as pro players should still come out and play their best but I can also understand why they didn't/ haven't too.Even the fax fans are saying their team as been playing mediocre too but they haven't lost a game. I'm just saying its hard to please everyone fans will always want more from their team.

There's another thread ongoing about incompetent referees. I'm not suggesting it happens, but when a team is running up a cricket score I myself would find it difficult to penalise the losing side over something marginal or silly, but I might find it easy to penalise the winning side. And we all know that refs like to even up the penalty count at the end of a game that has a foregone conclusion.

#44 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

There's another thread ongoing about incompetent referees. I'm not suggesting it happens, but when a team is running up a cricket score I myself would find it difficult to penalise the losing side over something marginal or silly, but I might find it easy to penalise the winning side. And we all know that refs like to even up the penalty count at the end of a game that has a foregone conclusion.

Mr hewer didn't even it up Steve 😉.

#45 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Mr hewer didn't even it up Steve .

But that game wasn't over until the last minute TG!

#46 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Its a long time since Hepworth played stand off to be honest, for me he's more of a loose forward.

Maybe and I really hope that I am wrong, and we find the key to break down defences against the better sides when it counts. Can't see it though to be honest.

Its essentially the same job when Heppy plays 13, well it is really, 6 plays right of Finn and 13 plays left of Finn.

Im starting to think having more than 2 on the field is becoming stifling to our creativity because were hitting the deep runner and hes got the winger outside him and theyve covered it. Forgot the last time Finn attacked far left of the pitch.

Cummins Out.

#47 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Forgot the last time Finn attacked far left of the pitch.

His try against sheff?

#48 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

His try against sheff?

Yeah true. The problem we have I think is the constant changing of positions. We need a stable 17 unless injuries hit of course. The sooner we get hardman back to full back and briggsy constantly at 6 and kainy at 9 the better we will be IMO. Too many players playing out of position and their comfort zones at the minute but there is no better time to try these things out than through the league campaign so when it comes to the crunch we will know who can and can't play where.

#49 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Jesus H Arkwright. ..... here's a thing. A post from thundergaz that I actually totally agree with and can't find any room for criticism! !!
Don't think it'll last gaz. Enjoy the moment :wink: :wink:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#50 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Jesus H Arkwright. ..... here's a thing. A post from thundergaz that I actually totally agree with and can't find any room for criticism! !!
Don't think it'll last gaz. Enjoy the moment :wink: :wink:

Wow robin there's always a first time for everything like us winning the NRC this year for a change 😄😄😄.

#51 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow robin there's always a first time for everything like us winning the NRC this year for a change .

so, we have the best hooker in this division and you both think Kainy should have his shirt.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#52 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Andy Ellis n Kainy at 9 for me old fella.
Briggsy to 6
The side has much more balance to it in that format for me......however, it's not up to me!

#53 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

so, we have the best hooker in this division and you both think Kainy should have his shirt.

No I meant kainy off the bench OR to replace Ellis.

#54 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Andy Ellis n Kainy at 9 for me old fella.
Briggsy to 6
The side has much more balance to it in that format for me......however, it's not up to me!

Yes exactly what you said robin. That's what I meant.

#55 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

kainy, heppy n briggsy have no bigger fans than me, but, give the shirt to the man in form, whoever it is. i'm not ben kayes biggest fan, but if he's the man in form give him the shirt, (he's not tho). the cream will rise to the top.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#56 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

It's to be expected. We lose a game get rid of Andy Kain. This has been goimg on for a while now. We signed Grimshaw from Hunslet no doubt to replace Andy and through no fault of his, he couldn't give what was required. So we were stuck with Andy. Who was the best stand of in our league that year? Andy Kain. He has been outstanding for us and everybody wants to put him on the bench. Briggsy hasn't been the player who left us since he came back. I realise he has had injury problems but if it's not broken dont change it.

#57 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

It's to be expected. We lose a game get rid of Andy Kain. This has been goimg on for a while now. We signed Grimshaw from Hunslet no doubt to replace Andy and through no fault of his, he couldn't give what was required. So we were stuck with Andy. Who was the best stand of in our league that year? Andy Kain. He has been outstanding for us and everybody wants to put him on the bench. Briggsy hasn't been the player who left us since he came back. I realise he has had injury problems but if it's not broken dont change it.

Neither me or robin said to get rid of kainy. If it was up to me he would of been stand off against the eagles. DP is trying new things and I don't blame him one bit.If we don't win the league who cares the league games are trial games all season to get the team ready for the NRC and GF. You don't win owt really for winning the league anyway. DP is trying new things so when it comes to the crunch we have options which IMO we haven't really had in past seasons when injuries hit. I would swap winning the league for the NRC or the GF any day. I will admit however I don't like the tinkering as I think a team needs a constant 17 every week to gain momentum but if all this tinkering that DP is doing wins us the NRC and GF when it really matters then who cares if we finish 2nd 3rd 4th 5th etc.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 March 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#58 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

Get rid of kainy? ?? Why on earth would anyone advocate that? He's one that can turn a game. One of the leagues best players!!

#59 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

exactly, kainy is the form player and should have the shirt.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#60 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

exactly, kainy is the form player and should have the shirt.

I'm not arguing with that OR. As he is the in form player. But if you play kainy at 6 you either after add Ben Kaye to the squad or have bussey at hooker or someone else. I just feel personally that we would be a better team with Briggs at 6 and kainy off the bench or even kainy start at hooker and Ellis off the bench. I've got nothing against Ben Kaye as I think he is probably one of our best defensive players but his attacking game is poor. Looking forward to seeing what materialises over the season to be honest. Maybe having all these options isn't a bad thing. Looking forward to seeing lamont in the centre position today too it could be a master stroke from DP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users