Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

worth a gamble

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

reading p&c today DP looking at a loan player or full signing what about paul cook at doncaster ??? he seems to get the headlines every week for them i know he has had his troubles in the past but so did ben cockaine and look how he turn out for us !!! in the past paul cook was a match for any player in sl good football brain played at the highest level surely you dont loose all that talent overnight

Absolute class last night. 32 years of age, an showed a good old head. Tremendous right to left passes and one step in the second half that sent the Rovers defence the wrong way.

#62 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

everybody shot me down with this idea but you dont loose class overnight he's been at the top and still got it in my eyes

#63 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

everybody shot me down with this idea but you dont loose class overnight he's been at the top and still got it in my eyes

I think someone also called him fat. They obviously didn't sit between me and my mate last night. Paul's got three young ens now and has turned his life around. Everybody deserves a second chance. Rugby League is a game all about redemption. Without it one of my favorite current Rover's players may never have played for us.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 12 April 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#64 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

But could he play in the side as Liam Finn, Andrew? Would they both want to be the chief play-maker? Some sides have the scrum half doing this role, others have the stand-off. Kain played scrum half the last time we had a play-making stand-off (Iestyn Harris). 

I think someone also called him fat. They obviously didn't sit between me and my mate last night. Paul's got three young ens now and has turned his life around. Everybody deserves a second chance. Rugby League is a game all about redemption. Without it one of my favorite current Rover's players may never have played for us.

#65 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

No, I'm not saying for us Steve, I just thought that he looked a cut above for them, he says good things about our team and coach as well.

Would you say Briggs was not a playmaker?

Edited by Andrew Vause, 12 April 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#66 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

No, I'm not saying for us Steve, I just thought that he looked a cut above for them, he says good things about our team and coach as well.

Would you say Briggs was not a playmaker?

I've not been Cooky's biggest fan. But he "owd man'd" us a fair bit last night. He took Donny around the park very well and at times looked the star of the show. For a 32 yr old bloke with an alleged alcohol/weight problem, he looked good enough to me last night.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#67 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

was'nt everybody saying the same about johny hep when we signed him out of the game playing union ?? nobody can say cooky is'nt as good as him

#68 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

was'nt everybody saying the same about johny hep when we signed him out of the game playing union ?? nobody can say cooky is'nt as good as him

You have to remember though cooky is a good player in a bad team so he will stand out more. He isn't good enough to play for us at this present time. Look at rangi at c@s the Aussies think he's poor but at c@s he stands out like a world beater because they are a poor team. If rangi was to play for the likes of Wigan. Leeds Etc he wouldn't get half as much attention I bet. I'm not saying cooky wasn't a good player or isn't a good player I just don't think he's good enough to get in our team.

#69 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I didn't say owt about him getting in our f heck in team, i just said he'd a good game last night, he's not fat and the lad's turned his life around. Their Physio looked very efficient but I don't want her to get Rob's job of cutting the lawn.

#70 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

I didn't say owt about him getting in our f heck in team, i just said he'd a good game last night, he's not fat and the lad's turned his life around. Their Physio looked very efficient but I don't want her to get Rob's job of cutting the lawn.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#71 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Oh I do so like this :-))))
Im Fev and im proud

#72 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

My post wasn't aimed at your comments Andrew it was at plugs who stated we should sign him. I agree he had a good game last night and by far donnys best player. Mr crossley for us had a cracker too I thought he was outstanding and James did 2 big hits too which I felt in the stands 😄😄😄.

#73 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

It's all a bit of fun, this speculation, but an attitude is creeping in amongst the supporters that I hated from rival fans in days gone by. It reminds me of something I heard on the terraces from a Hull fan back in the early eighties. They had just paid a fortune for Trevor Skerrett from Wakefield, and Steve Evans had just broken through their ranks for the umpteenth time:
"He's a good player that Evans........We ought to buy him!"
I often wonder what rival Championship fans think of us when our supporters adopt the same attitude

#74 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

It's all a bit of fun, this speculation, but an attitude is creeping in amongst the supporters that I hated from rival fans in days gone by. It reminds me of something I heard on the terraces from a Hull fan back in the early eighties. They had just paid a fortune for Trevor Skerrett from Wakefield, and Steve Evans had just broken through their ranks for the umpteenth time:"He's a good player that Evans........We ought to buy him!"I often wonder what rival Championship fans think of us when our supporters adopt the same attitude

+1 We haven't a God given rite to sign anyone. Especially when a player like Paul Cooke seems settled in a team in which the loyal spectators of his club helped to secure his services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users