TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh enter partnership with Wigan (merged threads)

Club media release

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

There must of been a changed to the rules aren't Saints linked to two clubs and neither are in expansion areas. Unless you count Cumbria as one.

Yes Cumbria is counted as expansion for these purposes. It's called making-it-all-up-as-you-go-along

#62 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Any promising Leigh lads will primarily be spotted by the Superleague scouts at their amateur club before they get to any Leigh junior set up. Leigh as a town produces the odd top class player like Hunslet do but the aim of SL clubs will be to snap them up not wait for them to be developed by "their" ;) local CC club.

This idea that the CC partner is a "feeder" club, is pretty groundless, as the years pass Superleague clubs scout the amateur game directly. Once upon a time Jimmy Lowes and Kelvin Skerrett may have joined Hunslet first, today Carl Ablett and Paul McShane go directly to Leeds academy and would not play for Hunslet until they go over the age limit for the academy and are retained.

The status of the Championship club then becomes not a feeder but in reality an SL under 23 team, or an "A" team if you take older players' The club will try to be all things to all men. They are classed in the PR speak as equal "partners" in an arrangement that suits both and that can as Lobby thinks be "ripped up"once the Leigh club is ready for Superleague in 2015.

But as Blackpool Hawk indicates the underlying (this is all IMHO before the forum lawyers start) fundamental of these arrangements is that the partnership is an economic necessity for the CC club which proves they don't have any money to be even able to afford to have an SL application drawn up, nor do they have a meaningful junior player production line because any player on their books registered to Leigh alone has already been judged as not worthy of an SL place by professional coaches.

This arrangement does not enhance the clubs chances of Superleague, it does not merely temporarily diminish them, it signals a total lack of money (we have been kindly told Warrington turn over 5.5M, we have been told Leigh only spend £235K in wages, so a SKY SL payment of £1.2M leaves the Leigh board a cool £3-4,000,000 A YEAR short of Superleague, worth reading that a few times over until it sinks in regarding the grand canyon style chasm between SL and CC)

It also signals a lack of ambition on the pitch. Whilst the coaches may talk of having "better players" and the need to "win games" to keep fan interest up, the ambition is clearly defined as a desire to be successful in the Championship, not Superleague. Indeed the playing side of things becomes dedicated to their local ex-rival's success in SL.

Leigh have no money and are not looking to develop any SL players, yet still their name is bandied around for Superleague. I suppose this is fair enough, fans often talk of being able to "dream" but the realities become more stark by the day. Fans take solace in the idea that this arrangement is "temporary" and can be "ripped up" and that in any case they are still in solidarity with Featherstone Rovers because they won't play "over 23's". That's OK then move on nothing to see Leigh are still going for SL2015.

The third fundamental will be fan reaction. OK the "fans will never watch Wigan". But as I have found in Leeds that's not the point at all. When you are so far down the order in comparison with your neighbour and rival, and have become subservient in the eyes of the new and casual fan in the wider area, then only the "we'll support you evermore brigade" remain and they die out. Again I stood with 150 fans average age 60 trying to save Hunslet, most notably Leigh's chairman speaks of the ageing demographic of the Leigh fan. No doubt Wigan's season ticket bus will be parking up in Leigh this autumn.

Leighs second place finish last year saw crowds react to a great seson by dropping from 2250 to 1700. Quite the reverse direction to the Superleague crowd criteria. Will Wigan starlets boost the crowds? Well if Hunslet are anyone to go by last year we had a number of 400 crowds. Boosted by half a team of Leeds stars we are still able to get 400 crowds. The blind optimist in us may say that the dual registration partnership has arrested the decline, and therefore the only way is up - Superleague here we come.

Ripped up DR's all round.....

Only one reason for crowd drop - Leigh fans want to watch meaningful games with the reward of promotion. They know when theyve been sold a pup. Winning the championship without promotion is like being entered in a Readers Digest competition

#63 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

RL really is the saddest sport in the world, isn't it?

An agreement that could do Leigh the world of good, and all people can talk about is betrayal.

It's embarrassing.

Will Wigan be helping us to develop as a club and better prepare for SL? If not it is a betrayal

#64 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yes Cumbria is counted as expansion for these purposes. It's called making-it-all-up-as-you-go-along

In the finest traditions of RL I should of known.

#65 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

There must of been a changed to the rules aren't Saints linked to two clubs and neither are in expansion areas. Unless you count Cumbria as one.

Yeah, it is. Embarrassing, isn't it ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#66 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

If Leigh fans are not even willing to help the club by turning up to watch games, why should you expect anyone else to help you?

Hypocrisy is reaching its zenith here.

Why should they? There is nothing to play for. Its the RFL fault for removing promotion by right

#67 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

If Leigh fans are not even willing to help the club by turning up to watch games, why should you expect anyone else to help you?

Hypocrisy is reaching its zenith here.

I don't think it is hypocritical.

At the end of the day, the fans support their club as it has certain values that they like, and if they change their values then fans may not want to continue to support it. You are no less a fan if you believe that the club is going against your values.

Leigh fans have ambitions to get in to SL. This decision needs to be either helping their ambitions or at least not harming them. The fans shouldn't have to blindly follow their club regardless.
Posted Image

#68 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

its not so much that leigh fans have ambitions to get into SL....first and foremost they wanna see 17 lads fully committed to the leigh cause!!....not 13 lads plus some wigan players that need a run out...

thats what it all boils down too...

our coach,scott naylor, said the other week before the rochdale game that he would'nt use DR players for this game cos he wants 17 oldham players fully committed to a local derby.....

that says everything whats wrong with the whole system

Edited by roughyedspud, 23 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Only one reason for crowd drop - Leigh fans want to watch meaningful games with the reward of promotion. They know when theyve been sold a pup. Winning the championship without promotion is like being entered in a Readers Digest competition

I can't work that one out Lobby.

Featherstone Rovers crowds are actually nicely on the up so that doesn't match your explanation of why Leigh crowds are going down.

What does match it may be Leigh fans believe the SL ambitions are not serious.

#70 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

The guy said that fans had already decided they weren't going to follow Leigh well before this agreement was announced, so that doesn't make any sense at all.

Just like the rest of the UK. Waiting around for someone to rescue them.

Do you follow a SL club?

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Will Wigan be helping us to develop as a club and better prepare for SL? If not it is a betrayal

To me it's the same as Leeds-Hunslet.

Wigan are helping you to survive as a club full stop.

If fans continue to walk away which is their choice then your club will go further away from the cup and championship winning club I once knew. Wigan will just go on continuing to help you survive.

Which may mean providing more DR players to cut your wage bill.

As I say above Wigan will stop you developing any SL players for yourself, they won't provide the £3-4 Million a year you need for SL, and they won't help your crowds grow, their involvement will signal to potential new RL fans around the wider areas of Leigh/Wigan etc that there's only one club to watch.

I know you aren't listening mate, but that's how it is.....

#72 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I can't work that one out Lobby.

Featherstone Rovers crowds are actually nicely on the up so that doesn't match your explanation of why Leigh crowds are going down.

What does match it may be Leigh fans believe the SL ambitions are not serious.

More like that fans think we have little chance of being "drawn out of the hat" by the panel.

With Fev, up to now they have momentum and their fans think theyll get picked. This will snowball further if they win another trophy this year, but will drop off if they have a poor year and the uncertainty factor or even despair creeps in with their fans Also Fev are more fortunate geographically than Leigh in that their two SL local rivals are the weakest heartland teams overall in SL in my opinion and one is likely to be dropped. Also helps that they have been claiming that they are wealthy

#73 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

To me it's the same as Leeds-Hunslet.

Wigan are helping you to survive as a club full stop.

If fans continue to walk away which is their choice then your club will go further away from the cup and championship winning club I once knew. Wigan will just go on continuing to help you survive.

Which may mean providing more DR players to cut your wage bill.

As I say above Wigan will stop you developing any SL players for yourself, they won't provide the £3-4 Million a year you need for SL, and they won't help your crowds grow, their involvement will signal to potential new RL fans around the wider areas of Leigh/Wigan etc that there's only one club to watch.

I know you aren't listening mate, but that's how it is.....

If that were the case, I'd rather us switch to RU as an independant club. Hopefully it isnt. Big difference between us and Hunslet is that we have a stadium fit for SL

#74 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

More like that fans think we have little chance of being "drawn out of the hat" by the panel.

With Fev, up to now they have momentum and their fans think theyll get picked. This will snowball further if they win another trophy this year, but will drop off if they have a poor year and the uncertainty factor or even despair creeps in with their fans Also Fev are more fortunate geographically than Leigh in that their two SL local rivals are the weakest heartland teams overall in SL in my opinion and one is likely to be dropped. Also helps that they have been claiming that they are wealthy

So it's actually because you reckon Fev have a better chance than you. Nothing to do with promotion by right.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

1. More like that fans think we have little chance of being "drawn out of the hat" by the panel.

2. With Fev, up to now they have momentum and their fans think theyll get picked.

3. Also Fev are more fortunate geographically than Leigh in that their two SL local rivals are the weakest heartland teams overall in SL in my opinion and one is likely to be dropped.

4. Also helps that they have been claiming that they are wealthy

1. I see your point.

2. I see that point they are hot favourites IF anyone is picked. SL has to stay at 14 first.

3. Another point I take

4. Well they aren't wealthy, they are not making any profits. The investment so far is not enough for SL survival but Mr. Nahaboo is promising a three year full salary cap so I see your point again.

Joining up with Wigan may not see you get the lost fans back or get any new ones.?

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

If that were the case, I'd rather us switch to RU as an independant club. Hopefully it isnt. Big difference between us and Hunslet is that we have a stadium fit for SL

Not sure about switching to RU, you'd best look at Sale's struggles.

Yes you are not comparable to Hunslet, but by your definition you are comparable to Doncaster.

One major SL criteria IS ticked for sure.

#77 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

So it's actually because you reckon Fev have a better chance than you. Nothing to do with promotion by right.

The two are related. Yes at the moment I think Fev have a better chance but there is still more than a year to go - the chicken and egg situation puts fans off they think the chances are small. Hopefully we'll win the playoff this year and build up momentum. However fans know that we could also win everything and still not get the nod. This also puts fans off that would otherwise watch the team if promotion was for the winners

#78 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Why rugby union? Why not football or tiddlywinks?

Surely your club has more chance of getting to the SL as a rugby league club than into the Aviva Premiership as an RU club?
Posted Image

#79 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Over the year's I used to like to listen to the Leyther's dislike of Wigan.Its sad that rivalry is now disappearing
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#80 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Time to stand up and be counted, Lobby. Lead by example. The is clearly so much wrong, in your opinion, with Rugby League, the club you claim to support has betrayed you, your view is shared by so few people and this isn't the first time that you have declared a preference for rugby union so wouldn't it be better to give in to your inner desire now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users