RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Spot The Telegraph UK's balls up... Sports 'Journos' not knowing what sport they're watching?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

http://www.telegraph...pt-failure.html

"Visiting Sydney’s Olympic Park on Monday night, it was impossible not to be struck by how comfortably an Australian rules football match between the Rabbitohs and the Sharks sat alongside installations for the forthcoming Royal Easter Show."

In the published version yesterday they even had a big picture of the Rabbitohs with the caption 'Aussie Rules players' or something about 'Aussie Rules'.

It beggers belief!
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

In the published version yesterday they even had a big picture of the Rabbitohs with the caption 'Aussie Rules players' or something about 'Aussie Rules'.

It beggers belief!

A perfect illustration of British sports journalism.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Their Rugby League section even says 'Related Sections: Rugby Union'... :huh:
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#4 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Don't take the telegraph but has anyone put them right? Fight the good fight an all that.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#5 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

they dont want word getting out that RL is actually a big sport in Australia. I've met several rugger fans who havent known that

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

they dont want word getting out that RL is actually a big sport in Australia. I've met several rugger fans who havent known that

The experienced and trusted (by the general public) BBC sports journalist John Inverdale once informed viewers that Rugby Union is the national sport of Australia. So it must be true, right? :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've Tweeted him the error of his ways.
People called Romans they go the house

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

The experienced and trusted (by the general public) BBC sports journalist John Inverdale once informed viewers that Rugby Union is the national sport of Australia. So it must be true, right? :P

Is that John Inverdale the merchant banker?

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

He's not the only so called sports journalist from the Telegraph who is stealing a living. During the Olympics the abysmal Jonathan Liew wrote a column saying that he was not impressed by the choice of BBC pundits wondering why they had gone for an obscure American athlete that he had never heard of. Here are the relevant paragraphs. :D

"These days, of course, cycling is far from an obscure sport, so who had the BBC assembled on its nightly highlights programme to discuss Great Britain’s failure in the men’s road race? John McEnroe, Dame Kelly Holmes and a former 400-metre runner I had never heard of. It was like asking Gazza, Robbie Williams and Snooki from Jersey Shore to judge the Booker Prize.....

The third pundit, by the way, was a man called Michael Johnson. Apparently he won Olympic gold at both the 200 metres and 400 metres, and broke the 200m world record in Atlanta. He weighs 12st 2lb and carried the London 2012 torch through Wiltshire. Amazing tool, Wikipedia. Amazing." :blink:
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

He's not the only so called sports journalist from the Telegraph who is stealing a living. During the Olympics the abysmal Jonathan Liew wrote a column saying that he was not impressed by the choice of BBC pundits wondering why they had gone for an obscure American athlete that he had never heard of. Here are the relevant paragraphs. :D

"These days, of course, cycling is far from an obscure sport, so who had the BBC assembled on its nightly highlights programme to discuss Great Britain’s failure in the men’s road race? John McEnroe, Dame Kelly Holmes and a former 400-metre runner I had never heard of. It was like asking Gazza, Robbie Williams and Snooki from Jersey Shore to judge the Booker Prize.....

The third pundit, by the way, was a man called Michael Johnson. Apparently he won Olympic gold at both the 200 metres and 400 metres, and broke the 200m world record in Atlanta. He weighs 12st 2lb and carried the London 2012 torch through Wiltshire. Amazing tool, Wikipedia. Amazing." :blink:

Now that is world-class ignorance! :D

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Don't take the telegraph but has anyone put them right? Fight the good fight an all that.

I've just used the contact form on their site

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I've just used the contact form on their site

Or you could just go on various social media sites and take the mickey. :D

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I assume his sports editor passed this off for publication? Or do they simply take their journos word for it?

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

I assume his sports editor passed this off for publication? Or do they simply take their journos word for it?

Why wouldn't they? If the Sports 'Journo' is clueless too who Michael Johnson is then obviously they shouldn't be in their job BUT the Sports Editor wouldn't edit their article to make it sound like the clueness so'n'so knows who he is.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think the article name is pretty apt!

"Australia Learns How To Accept Failure"

Still, I suppose you could always ask Mo Farah if he's ever ran before...
Posted Image

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Why wouldn't they? If the Sports 'Journo' is clueless too who Michael Johnson is then obviously they shouldn't be in their job BUT the Sports Editor wouldn't edit their article to make it sound like the clueness so'n'so knows who he is.

If I made a huge mistake at work I'd be given the mother of all bollockings and watched like a hawk to ensure I didn't make the same mistake again.If I was dumb enough to make the same mistake again then I'd be sacked, end of.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think the article name is pretty apt!

"Australia Learns How To Accept Failure"

Still, I suppose you could always ask Mo Farah if he's ever ran before...

That was a belter!

I thought Mo was very gracious in his response.

#18 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think that reference to MJ was tongue in cheek from Liew. His observation about the ex-sports people commenting on sports they knew nothing about during the Olympics was spot on; it was cringe making at times. Obviously the presenters asked for their contributions.

#19 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

It beggers belief!

Yup, I spotted it straight away. Looks like the sub-editor didn't.

The Torygraph frequently get the names of RU players who are in photographs wrong for some reason, particularly non- English players. It's a farce and insult!
;) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users