More Australian innovations

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm just watching the Eels v Tigers game from earlier today.
The Australians have come up with a couple of innovations.
1/ the tackler never touches the ball in the attackers hands and keeps his hands well away from the ball when rising.
2/ more controversially the attacking player when he has been tackled puts the ball on the floor and kicks it back with his foot!

They do this every time.
I wonder if it will catch on over here? Or is this just another example of different rules for different hemispheres?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Bearman the rule is when a player is tackled is he puts the ball down and play it back with his foot. But since MR CUMMINGS got in charge of our ref,s they have been told that just as long as the player makes an attempt that will do.That is why our play the ball as become a farce ????

#3 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Bearman the rule is when a player is tackled is he puts the ball down and play it back with his foot. But since MR CUMMINGS got in charge of our ref,s they have been told that just as long as the player makes an attempt that will do.That is why our play the ball as become a farce ????

I've not seen an NRL game yet but this seems more sensible.
A player should make a proper attempt to play the ball, and the tackler should get his hands away from the ball once the tackle has been completed.
This is one I'm in favour of the Aussies having different rules to us. It equalises out in that the attacker gets to PTB quicker because the defender isn't trying to make him commit a knock-on and then the attacker takes slightly longer to execute the PTB by making sure his foot touches it.
And it also gives Stevo less reason to go on about the refs and PTB's which can only be good.
Didn't Jamie Peacock get penalised last week for not playing the ball correctly.

#4 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Get your dictionary out and look up the word "Irony"
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#5 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've not seen an NRL game yet but this seems more sensible.
A player should make a proper attempt to play the ball, and the tackler should get his hands away from the ball once the tackle has been completed.
This is one I'm in favour of the Aussies having different rules to us. It equalises out in that the attacker gets to PTB quicker because the defender isn't trying to make him commit a knock-on and then the attacker takes slightly longer to execute the PTB by making sure his foot touches it.
And it also gives Stevo less reason to go on about the refs and PTB's which can only be good.
Didn't Jamie Peacock get penalised last week for not playing the ball correctly.

Yes Peacock was pulled up for it and he looked shocked that a referee should have the temerity to apply a law of the game to him.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

a referee pinged one of our U14's for not touching the ball with his foot in a game recently!

I mentioned this on another thread recent;y, about the players not having hands on the ball, and in the couple of games ive seen so far, it is working really well.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

In the Leeds game, the following 3 play of the balls by Wigan after the penalty were the same as Peacock's that he was penalised for. That's not a moan by the way, I just personally see it as a pointless rule. It doesn't affect play in any way whatsoever. As long as the ball goes through the legs in a controlled motion then I don't see a problem. The attacking team doesn't gain any advantage.

Hands in at the ruck is the one that annoys me though. It was bad in Australia too until they got the pocket ref too, so they had problems. Difference is, they sorted it. Our ruck is the same now as it was 10 years ago.

Edited by Harrigan, 23 March 2013 - 01:08 AM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Ablett always has his hands not only all over the ball but in and around players faces in every tackle.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

In the Leeds game, the following 3 play of the balls by Wigan after the penalty were the same as Peacock's that he was penalised for.

No they weren't. I remember watching for it as well, and Peacock's was just a shocker. He just stepped over the ball. There was no attempt to play it at all. The Wigan PTBs were not touched by the foot but an attempt was made to play it.

Peacock was just lazy and rightly pulled up for it.
Posted Image

#10 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

In the Leeds game, the following 3 play of the balls by Wigan after the penalty were the same as Peacock's that he was penalised for. That's not a moan by the way, I just personally see it as a pointless rule. It doesn't affect play in any way whatsoever. As long as the ball goes through the legs in a controlled motion then I don't see a problem.

The rule is there and should be applied. Tired players can make mistakes and just occasionally they accidentally kick the ball forwards. Waving a foot in the general direction of the ball negates this, and so does give an advantage.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

The rule is there and should be applied. Tired players can make mistakes and just occasionally they accidentally kick the ball forwards. Waving a foot in the general direction of the ball negates this, and so does give an advantage.

An interesting point. When a player accidentally nudges the ball forward with his foot but then plays it backwards to the DH exactly which rule is being broken?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

The rule is there and should be applied.

It should be applied or removed from the rule book.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

An interesting point. When a player accidentally nudges the ball forward with his foot but then plays it backwards to the DH exactly which rule is being broken?

The rule where your not allowed to play the ball forward anymore.

#14 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Spot on
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#15 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Like the feed at the scrum.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#16 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

In the Leeds game, the following 3 play of the balls by Wigan after the penalty were the same as Peacock's that he was penalised for. That's not a moan by the way, I just personally see it as a pointless rule. It doesn't affect play in any way whatsoever. As long as the ball goes through the legs in a controlled motion then I don't see a problem. The attacking team doesn't gain any advantage.

Same here, I don't get why it matters so much. I feel the same way about the recent over emphasis in the NRL on binding properly in scrums. I don't know why people care, if a guy has his arms by his side or two guys are niggling each other a little bit just let them get on with it, the effect on the game is minimal to non existant. It's too pedant for me

#17 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

One part of the play the ball that needs cracking down on is when players get up and step to the side. It should be a straighg up sin binning offence.

#18 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

No they weren't. I remember watching for it as well, and Peacock's was just a shocker. He just stepped over the ball. There was no attempt to play it at all. The Wigan PTBs were not touched by the foot but an attempt was made to play it.

Peacock was just lazy and rightly pulled up for it.

Hes been doing it for years

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

We do not have rule book to have rules removed from.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Same here, I don't get why it matters so much. I feel the same way about the recent over emphasis in the NRL on binding properly in scrums. I don't know why people care, if a guy has his arms by his side or two guys are niggling each other a little bit just let them get on with it, the effect on the game is minimal to non existant. It's too pedant for me

pedantic
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users