Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More Australian innovations

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

We do not have rule book to have rules removed from.

Here you go

http://www.therfl.co...?section=INTRO1

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Here you go

Padge likes "Laws of the game", just like a derby isn't a derby.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

If a player has to think thta he has to concentrate and set himself up to play th eball properly it will take longer. It would also ensure that no momentum applied to the ball by the hand to propel it backwards should be reduced or eliminated.
It may only be less than a second but it will be longer. Either we have the rule/law and apply it or we don't.
I'd also penalise those who step forward or sideways off the point of tackle to hopefully catch the defender out for being not square. Let the ref police this an not the player.
Then the ref can spend his time looking for hands on the ball and who is using spoiling tactics by the defenders, so that both sides are cleaner.
It will end pointless repeat shots of whether defenders hands/arms sqeezed the ball out, instead of getting on with the game.

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I assume the hands on the ball by a tackler rule only relates to tackles involving two or more players?

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Once the ref has called held, then regardless of the number of tacklers, it should be hands off the ball.

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Here you go

That's not the rules.

There are the "Laws of the Game", but they bear only a vague resemblance to the laws of the game as it is played.

In my view, the PTB should be done properly. If a defending team is penalised for slowing down the PTB illegally to gain an advantage then the attacking team should be penalised for trying to speed it up illegally.

If the rule is going to be that the PTB involves rolling the ball back under your foot with no requirement to touch it with your foot, then that's what the rule should state.

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Was listening to a Rah Rah game (Sarries v Quins) on the wireless at work t'other day and Brian Moore was lambasting the referee for not applying the laws of the game, particularly in the scrum, and saying that they are thus spoiling the game. So refs are much the same in both codes.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#28 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

There's been a definite change in the way this season's NRL is being refereed. Finally they're addressing the play the ball, and in particular hand on the ball by the tackler. The number of penalties for this has been noticable in the first few weeks. I think that the end result will be more of each match being played in the red zone, and so possibly more tries. Aside from excellent defence, low penalty counts and slow PTBs are a factor in lower scoring games.

One area I'd like to see cleared up is the business of lending weight, which occurs in most if not all games. It seems that it's not ok to lend weight in the act of scoring a try, but it is ok in the act of preventing a team mate being taken into touch. Case in point Eels v Warriors - Thomas Leului try disallowed as player helped him to the ground, then not 5 minutes later an Eels player (can't remember who) is being forced to the side line (not dragged) and Loco, the Eels centre, virtually tackles his own man to stop him going out - result = PTB.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

The rule where your not allowed to play the ball forward anymore.

Not allowed to play the ball forward to yourself that is, but simply touching it forwards by accident then heeling it backwards - what rule/law/regulation does that break?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Not allowed to play the ball forward to yourself that is, but simply touching it forwards by accident then heeling it backwards - what rule/law/regulation does that break?

Its breaks no rule but now seems to be a knock-on or a scrum

#31 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Just to be clear, an accident does not get an exception in the rules (and laws are rules too, a strange thing for people to wrongly make a fuss over). The ball should be placed or dropped on the ground then must be heeled backwards, if it is knocked forwards then it is an incorrect play-the-ball. While referees and their controllers may chose an "interpretation" of letting it go unpunished, it is illegal in the rules by virtue of being a deviation from the prescribed manner of putting the ball back in play.

#32 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Probably none but as Steve May states the law book is out of date and is not accurate to how the game is played now. My guess is they penalise ot firstly to tidy the PTB up. The PTB/tackle is also the most important part of the game so maybe it's in there for a bit of balance so that attacking teams have to have a bit of control. If they rush it and make a mistake they are penalised.
Doesn't the law book also state that you should place or drop the ball at the PTB. You wouldn't get away with dropping it anymore but it's there.*

* that's if it is still there and they haven't up dated it.

#33 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

You wouldn't get away with dropping it anymore but it's there.*

* that's if it is still there and they haven't up dated it.

Just to be clear, you are right. It is still there, and it would be interpreted as a knock-on. But the rule book also still defines the attack and defence territorially rather than by possession, it is long overdue being properly updated and various interpretations codified.

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just to be clear, you are right. It is still there, and it would be interpreted as a knock-on. But the rule book also still defines the attack and defence territorially rather than by possession, it is long overdue being properly updated and various interpretations codified.

Now that would be fun. I'd love to see the threads on here when/if that task is undertaken.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Now that would be fun. I'd love to see the threads on here when/if that task is undertaken.

I think it should be done as a matter of urgency, and I think it would be brilliant fun on here!

That's me.  I'm done.

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Just to be clear, you are right. It is still there, and it would be interpreted as a knock-on. .

Would or should?

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

No - not alowed to play it forward full stop.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've actually suggested to Cummings in the past that we should review all the laws to see whether we still need them - especially at the ptb. We started from a 16 man scrum, worked our way through a contested two man scrum to where we are today.

Had we started from the uncontested two man scrum we have now, would we have had all these rules ? Probably not.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#39 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Do you not feel like an annoying Pillok after a while saying "just to be clear"

Edited by AndyCapp, 30 March 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#40 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

More rules from oz, apparently it is ok to hold on to your opponent in the scrum after the ball is out, not allowing them to get back onto the line, creating gaps for the backs...
Slaters first try should not of been allowed imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users