Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

bbc 4 tv center close down

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

madness going down a storm now, brilliant stuff.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Good innit?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

looking forward to Richard Thompson in BBC4 at 10.30
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Madness just joined on stage by Wilko. :)

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Madness just joined on stage by Wilko. :)

I hope I get to see him on tour

bloody hel the tours over.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 22 March 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Keeping it local

#6 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

that was a top turn. :D

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

that was a top turn. :D

not normally keen.

but that was rather fun
Keeping it local

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

not normally keen.

but that was rather fun

That's the thing with Madness.

They're just bloody good fun.

#9 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

That's the thing with Madness.

They're just bloody good fun.

thats so true they look like they are enjoying themselves unlike most groups now who seem to think they are doing us a favour playing.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss

#10 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Madness were terrific (Suggs born in Hastings), the tribute after on BBC4 was also pretty good, lots of nostalgia, but, they still need to close it down, there was undue critique of moving to Salford by Danny (I've never been outside the M25) Baker, who said there had never been a decent programme made regionally. Who let him on? Bigot. The BBC stands for the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, Not the Baker B.C., nor should it be biased towards London like Baker suggested. There is more talent in the "Regions" than in London.

There will still be excellent, award winning programmes made by the Beeb, just because it's no longer based in W12, exclusively, doesn't mean that ideas will dry up, a lot of briliant ideas came from outside London.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#11 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Madness were terrific (Suggs born in Hastings), the tribute after on BBC4 was also pretty good, lots of nostalgia, but, they still need to close it down, there was undue critique of moving to Salford by Danny (I've never been outside the M25) Baker, who said there had never been a decent programme made regionally. Who let him on? Bigot. The BBC stands for the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation, Not the Baker B.C., nor should it be biased towards London like Baker suggested. There is more talent in the "Regions" than in London.

There will still be excellent, award winning programmes made by the Beeb, just because it's no longer based in W12, exclusively, doesn't mean that ideas will dry up, a lot of briliant ideas came from outside London.

I hope David Attenborough reminded him that the natural history programmes have been made in Bristol for the last 50 years ...

#12 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

looking forward to Richard Thompson in BBC4 at 10.30

Yeah, that was good. (Apart from the traditionally awful BBC TV sound production). Quite impressed by the stuff from his new album. Bit scary how much his daughter Kami looks like her mother, though.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

The staff dancing at the windows while Madness played. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wrong end of the stick, what he said was people don't give a stuff if things are regional or not which is right. People don't say "That was good, it was regional". Outside of news, It's an irrelevance to anyone who isn't bound by a quota at the BBC.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

And anyway, the BBC will be making programmes at Television Centre for a fair while yet. They are taking out a 15 year lease to carry on using studios and office space there.

Edited by Futtocks, 26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

And anyway, the BBC will be making programmes at Television Centre for a fair while yet. They are taking out a 15 year lease to carry on using studios and office space there.

So it was akin to a Stacey Jones retirement party?!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I used to work there, and my brother-in-law did until last week, so straight from the horses mouth - the majority of TV Centre will be redeveloped. Stage 5, the newest building, will be refurbished and continue to be rented out as office space for the BBC. Two of the studios will be refurbished and hired by the BBC as studio space starting in 2015. The famous doughnut, the original centrepiece of the site, will be converted into a hotel whilst the rest of the site will be demolished and turned into flats.

The problem with the future use of the studios for making programmes is that the plans state 2015, but the nearest flats being built to the studios will only be constructed after the studios have come back into use. Considering that no-one is currently allowed to use a drill near to the studios when filming is taking place (because of the noise) I'm not entirely sure how the developers plan on demolishing buildings and constructing flats. No-one at the BBC would be surprised if they never get around to moving back to the studios there.

The scandal in all of this is that the BBC have sold TV Centre for 200million quid and then spent a billion (double the original costings) on Broadcasting House. So they've lost a genuinely iconic building, for peanuts, and spent a fortune on a building that only BBC News cares about. Unfortunately, News has always had way too much influence with management at the Beeb and they've done their level best to screw everyone else whilst getting an expensive refurbishment for themselves.

btw The BBC lease on Salford ranges from 2-10 years. And pretty much everyone who's working there agrees that the set up is poor, from facilities through to equipment. And Peel are massively overcharging on every single item they provide. So I'd not be surprised if they move on in ten years time to somewhere else.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#18 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. A couple of weeks back Vernon Kay was spotted by security trying to remove the number from his dressing room door. A little keepsake I suppose. They stopped him leaving and, in front of everybody else, made him screw the number back on.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#19 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Madness were terrific (Suggs born in Hastings), the tribute after on BBC4 was also pretty good, lots of nostalgia, but, they still need to close it down, there was undue critique of moving to Salford by Danny (I've never been outside the M25) Baker, who said there had never been a decent programme made regionally.

Presumably he doesn't watch the BBC's excellent natural history programmes, which are made in Bristol and have been for years!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Presumably he doesn't watch the BBC's excellent natural history programmes, which are made in Bristol and have been for years!

See Amber Avenger's clarification post. That wasn't the point Baker was making.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users