Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

bbc 4 tv center close down

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I used to work there, and my brother-in-law did until last week, so straight from the horses mouth - the majority of TV Centre will be redeveloped. Stage 5, the newest building, will be refurbished and continue to be rented out as office space for the BBC. Two of the studios will be refurbished and hired by the BBC as studio space starting in 2015. The famous doughnut, the original centrepiece of the site, will be converted into a hotel whilst the rest of the site will be demolished and turned into flats.

The problem with the future use of the studios for making programmes is that the plans state 2015, but the nearest flats being built to the studios will only be constructed after the studios have come back into use. Considering that no-one is currently allowed to use a drill near to the studios when filming is taking place (because of the noise) I'm not entirely sure how the developers plan on demolishing buildings and constructing flats. No-one at the BBC would be surprised if they never get around to moving back to the studios there.

The scandal in all of this is that the BBC have sold TV Centre for 200million quid and then spent a billion (double the original costings) on Broadcasting House. So they've lost a genuinely iconic building, for peanuts, and spent a fortune on a building that only BBC News cares about. Unfortunately, News has always had way too much influence with management at the Beeb and they've done their level best to screw everyone else whilst getting an expensive refurbishment for themselves.

btw The BBC lease on Salford ranges from 2-10 years. And pretty much everyone who's working there agrees that the set up is poor, from facilities through to equipment. And Peel are massively overcharging on every single item they provide. So I'd not be surprised if they move on in ten years time to somewhere else.

I wonder if you can help me

what are those white discs on the side of the wall?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I go past sometimes on the Hammersmith and City line on my way to the office .I'll have a look and try to see what they are.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I go past sometimes on the Hammersmith and City line on my way to the office .I'll have a look and try to see what they are.

you are very kind
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

From memory they're lights, but I may be wrong.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959