Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super XIII - Is It Still Happening in France?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Wondering if any of our French insiders know what's going on with the proposed full time league in France? Last I heard (about 6 months ago) it was to include 13 teams and start in 2014. Is it still going ahead? What's the latest news on it? What teams are likely to be included?
Posted Image

#2 fcl

fcl
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

the project is apparently not completely buried but almost
football clubs that were to be the new clubs are also in crisis and there is no TV broadcasters for this super XIII.
I think that this project was not really realistic and the situation of France elite league is critical
www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

It did seem a bit ambitious. To go from 9 part time clubs (a few of which are struggling) to 13 full time clubs was always a huge step.
Posted Image

#4 fcl

fcl
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

And clubs emerging in areas where there is no rugbyleague culture

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

What happened to Bein Sport's interest? Is it still there?

What clubs were they looking at to join the league, and which ones were realistic?
Posted Image

#6 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I always thought this was a great idea but it was too much too soon. French league should aim for its own pro league but to try and do this in the space of one year was a tad over ambitious. I could also see a conflict between this pro league and french pro clubs in super league such as Catalan & Toulouse. Which league would the average french sports fan gravitate towards?this is a dillema.
In the short term I would, and I think this is Carlos' strategy, build a contingent of french clubs in Super League but also strengthen the Elite 1 league, building stronger clubs with better management and then merge the two into one french pro league.
Once Toulouse (touch wood) get into super league then I would look at pushing Avignon into SL, until you have maybe 4 pro french teams, these 4 teams could merge with 4-6 of the best managed teams in Elite for a pro league, but it will take time to do this.

#7 fcl

fcl
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

What happened to Bein Sport's interest? Is it still there?

What clubs were they looking at to join the league, and which ones were realistic?

Dayan spoke of Strasbourg, Nantes, Valenciennes, Lens, Paris
I believe no realistic project is possible in these cities
More interesting projects are in Bordeaux ( with the local football club), a merger club of the Tarn's clubs of the Tarn (Albi and Lescure), another merger between the clubs St Gaudens and Sauveterre. Montpellier, Carpentras, Toulon ( has a small club already)

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

How many current Elite clubs have a realistic chance of running a sustainable and competitive SL club though if they had some funding?

Carcassonne, Limoux and Lezignan are within 30mins of each other and are pretty small individually but share an area of 300,000 people. Maybe a chance for them if they pool their resources together like was rumoured previously.

Toulouse is a no-brainier. Huge area. Big history.

Avignon is a fair sized area, and they've shown they can back big games.

Villeneuve is another small town but sits in a fair sized department on their own from other RL towns in France.

Lescure D'Albigeois again is a other small town, but Tarn is a big place and not too close to Toulouse. There's Albi on their doorstep as well.

Pia are on the doorstep of Catalans, in a village with only 7,000 residents. Then there's also UTC who are the Catalans' feeder club.

So 5 possible clubs there in Toulouse, Aude (Carcassonne, Limoux, Lezignan), Tarn (Lescures), Avignon and Villeneuve from the Elite 1. In Elite 2, they're all pretty much in these areas other than Lyon, so maybe 6 clubs from traditional areas. Not really enough to create a league so you'd always have to look to new areas.

Posted Image

#9 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

How many current Elite clubs have a realistic chance of running a sustainable and competitive SL club though if they had some funding?

Carcassonne, Limoux and Lezignan are within 30mins of each other and are pretty small individually but share an area of 300,000 people. Maybe a chance for them if they pool their resources together like was rumoured previously.

Toulouse is a no-brainier. Huge area. Big history.

Avignon is a fair sized area, and they've shown they can back big games.

Villeneuve is another small town but sits in a fair sized department on their own from other RL towns in France.

Lescure D'Albigeois again is a other small town, but Tarn is a big place and not too close to Toulouse. There's Albi on their doorstep as well.

Pia are on the doorstep of Catalans, in a village with only 7,000 residents. Then there's also UTC who are the Catalans' feeder club.

So 5 possible clubs there in Toulouse, Aude (Carcassonne, Limoux, Lezignan), Tarn (Lescures), Avignon and Villeneuve from the Elite 1. In Elite 2, they're all pretty much in these areas other than Lyon, so maybe 6 clubs from traditional areas. Not really enough to create a league so you'd always have to look to new areas.

Your right with most of those, also add to that as FCL mentioned Bordeaux FC are in talks with Carlos about restarting the club and you also have Lyon which has a rich history in the league below not forgetting Nantes X111. Carlos is also trying to facilitate a merger of the Comminges clubs. I would remodel Villenueve as Leopards of Aquitaine opening up their catchment area, they could play games in larger nearby towns/cities.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Dayan spoke of Strasbourg, Nantes, Valenciennes, Lens, Paris
I believe no realistic project is possible in these cities
More interesting projects are in Bordeaux ( with the local football club), a merger club of the Tarn's clubs of the Tarn (Albi and Lescure), another merger between the clubs St Gaudens and Sauveterre. Montpellier, Carpentras, Toulon ( has a small club already)

Strasbourg - Pretty much as far North East you could go in France!
Lens and Valenciennes - Pretty much the furthest North you could go!
Paris - Obvious why they'd say there.
Nantes - Large west city. Would love to see it having played their local side home and away but can't see it happening!

Basically just picking some random cities on a map as far away from the heartlands as possible. Was never going to happen!

Montpellier, Marseille and Toulon have had clubs in the past haven't they?
Do Bordeaux have much history in RL?
Would a Saint Gaudens/Sauveterre merger have much potential or identity?
Isn't Carpentras pretty close to Avignon?

Posted Image

#11 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Strasbourg - Pretty much as far North East you could go in France!
Lens and Valenciennes - Pretty much the furthest North you could go!
Paris - Obvious why they'd say there.
Nantes - Large west city. Would love to see it having played their local side home and away but can't see it happening!

Basically just picking some random cities on a map as far away from the heartlands as possible. Was never going to happen!

Montpellier, Marseille and Toulon have had clubs in the past haven't they?
Do Bordeaux have much history in RL?
Would a Saint Gaudens/Sauveterre merger have much potential or identity?
Isn't Carpentras pretty close to Avignon?

You would have to add those 4-5 northern teams including Lille to the 5-6 southern teams in order to make a pro league, it's possible but it will take time, they have the right man in place, Carlos Zalduendo who would be capable of bringing this vision to the table.

#12 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Existing clubs areas which could maintain a pro team

Catalan
Toulouse
Avignon
Aude
Albi/Union Treiziste Tarn
Leopards of Aquitaine (Villenueve)

Existing clubs which need a kick up the backside

Lyon
Nantes

Northern areas where teams could/should be started

Paris
Strasbourg
Lille
Lens

#13 fcl

fcl
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I dont think a team Aude is possible
Its the same problem you have in England with the cumbria (Whitehaven, Barrow and Workington)

#14 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I dont think a team Aude is possible
Its the same problem you have in England with the cumbria (Whitehaven, Barrow and Workington)

Some Treizistes actually argue that you could make two pro teams from Aude, with Lezignan playing at and incorporating Narbonne & Limoux/Carcassone merging.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Existing clubs areas which could maintain a pro team

Catalan
Toulouse
Avignon
Aude
Albi/Union Treiziste Tarn
Leopards of Aquitaine (Villenueve)

Existing clubs which need a kick up the backside

Lyon
Nantes

Northern areas where teams could/should be started

Paris
Strasbourg
Lille
Lens

Aren't Nantes just an amateur club though?

It's the mergers that would need to be made as well as the expansion clubs that would need to be invented that makes me think this wouldn't happen.

Could always go the Magners League route and merge some counties leagues together.
A French-Welsh league with a pro Scorpions side and Crusaders side... (Getting a bit far fetched I know, but the France vs Wales game would be a lot spicier!).
Posted Image

#16 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

The elite level is struggling, I've heard lescure want to go back to elite 2 and villeneuve may drop out too, the gap between elite 1 and 2 is enormous so you can't really promote any teams,the better teams in elite 2 are from areas that are close to teams that are already in elite 1.

The game is struggling, the dragons brought the interest back but it's dropping again,

I'm involved with a under 7's team and an open age lower level team in the aude so I'm not just being a doom merchant I'm someone actively trying to help out,

Must say though, lezignan is rl through and through, the mayor refused to allow the creation of a union team in the village because there is enough sport in the village with rl and football!

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Must say though, lezignan is rl through and through, the mayor refused to allow the creation of a union team in the village because there is enough sport in the village with rl and football!

That's good to hear!

Makes you wonder how important Toulouse would be to SL to give French RL another kick start. But then how much damage would it cause to the Elite 1 to lose Toulouse and most likely a lot of the league's best players with them? (However this may also close the gap if the top clubs lose their best players).
Posted Image

#18 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Good to see this morning, I'm at a kids tournament at Carcassonne and there's 1200 kids playing, from 6 to 12 years old, so maybe it's not that bad!

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

The elite level is struggling, I've heard lescure want to go back to elite 2 and villeneuve may drop out too, the gap between elite 1 and 2 is enormous so you can't really promote any teams,the better teams in elite 2 are from areas that are close to teams that are already in elite 1.

The game is struggling, the dragons brought the interest back but it's dropping again,

I'm involved with a under 7's team and an open age lower level team in the aude so I'm not just being a doom merchant I'm someone actively trying to help out,

Can't say I'm easy with the mayor of lezignan not allowing the creation of a union team, could you imagine the outcry if a mayor refused the creation of a league team in any other village/town and city?

#20 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Can't say I'm easy with the mayor of lezignan not allowing the creation of a union team, could you imagine the outcry if a mayor refused the creation of a league team in any other village/town and city?

It happens all the time over here, they don't stop. you they just don't let you use the council stadiums,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users