Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should the Magic Weekend be for the Challenge Cup?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

What about free entry to cc quarters and semis for anyone who attended an earlier round? Gives fans a reason to attend early rounds and makes rl look like a must see event to the masses watching on the bbc. Half empty grounds in the latter rounds tells the auidience that rl is not an event worth bothering with given that even hardcore rl fans cant be bothered to attend

Things that are free have no value. People won't be that bothered if they miss out on it as they paid nothing.

You don't grow events by chucking free tickets about. That's how you lose money.
Posted Image

#22 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

We are losing money now. And the current pricing structure is hardy packing them in. Casual fans who see empty stadiums for big games only draw one conclusion

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

We are losing money now. And the current pricing structure is hardy packing them in. Casual fans who see empty stadiums for big games only draw one conclusion

But giving away tickets won't solve that problem. All it will do us devalue the competition. It's the problem clubs are having after having cheap season tickets. How do you bump then back up to normal price again?

Posted Image

#24 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

superb idea wellsey, i like the sound of it. the challenge cup needs revitalising and your idea could be just the fillip it needs.

To be honest it's the sort of thing that if tried and didn't come off, would probably kill off the cup - and the magic concept - for good. Personally I have little interest in going to a massive stadium to watch a load of cup games at once (although I do like the magic weekend as it is), for me the cup -in the early rounds- is about visiting teams and unique grounds you wouldn't do during the course of the league and experiencing the real spirit of the sport. I know there is an element of that in Wellsy's idea, but it's not quite the same.

On a practical level, the fixtures would be a massive problem. One good thing about the current Magic setup is the fixtures are evenly balanced. By it's nature the 5th round draw is unbalanced and the prospect of sitting through drubbing after drubbing just because the draw might throw up another Cas vs Fev or even Wigan vs Saints is a very tough sell.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 26 March 2013 - 10:05 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users