League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham v South Wales

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

The Championship One Season kicks off this Friday and their is no room for error with a only 16 game league season.

With only 9 teams competing in the campaign this season, the pressure to get a good start will be intense. Teams can't afford to have a dip in form especially if they want to gain automatic promotion. The competition also boasts three new teams, which are an unknown quantities, well Oxford RLFC doesn't hold too many surprises tho! The team who can pick up points on the road have to be favorites. With long road trips to South Wales, Gloucestershire, London x 2, Gateshead and Oxford the away games will be difficult, North Wales will be the bookies favorites, the away trip to South Wales is always tricky and I believe this season London will be very difficult to beat, throw in two derby matches against Rochdale and you can see that teams have to maintain an high standard for all the entire 16 game season.

The play off's will be as equally difficult, London may be the surprise package in 2013.......

The 14 team Championship is an excellent league and Oldham NEED to be in it.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#22 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Win the league and play next seasons games at Boundary Park seems to be the only realistic scenario to me Oldham13?

Any alternatives you can think of?

#23 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Their are a lot of variables to consider before we look forward to the 2014 season, The league is going to be very tight this season and at this stage I wouldn't like to say who will win it.

The NW Crusaders have a very strong championship winning team, London Skolars, South Wales will be difficult games away and Rochdale will be strong both home and away. The play off winning team will have to hit form at the right time to gain promotion.

A realistic scenario about the ground will depends on which division the football club are playing in, Can we afford to "Rent BP" but the current ground is not fit for purpose for the Championship, so Whitebank is either brought up to standard or we look for an alternative ground share, both scenario's have issues attached to them.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#24 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't think we need fear anyone in this division but I agree it's going to be tough. Especially with such a small squad compared to other clubs. As for the ground, who knows?

#25 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Their are a lot of variables to consider before we look forward to the 2014 season, The league is going to be very tight this season and at this stage I wouldn't like to say who will win it.

The NW Crusaders have a very strong championship winning team, London Skolars, South Wales will be difficult games away and Rochdale will be strong both home and away. The play off winning team will have to hit form at the right time to gain promotion.

A realistic scenario about the ground will depends on which division the football club are playing in, Can we afford to "Rent BP" but the current ground is not fit for purpose for the Championship, so Whitebank is either brought up to standard or we look for an alternative ground share, both scenario's have issues attached to them.

Ha Ha I like that bit about renting BP .........can Mr. Hamilton aford to mend the showers never minsd owt else ......... forget about BP, there would not be enough there to fill the press box

Edited by Roughyedz, 27 March 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

i disagree....

the biggest factor in the drop in attendances is the state of whitebank and its lack of facilities....

build a main stand with the associated facilities...or indeed go back to bp....and attendances will rise...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

i disagree....

the biggest factor in the drop in attendances is the state of whitebank and its lack of facilities....

build a main stand with the associated facilities...or indeed go back to bp....and attendances will rise...

Seconded. There are many die hard roughyeds who are too frail in the bones to survive the rigueurs of Whitebank. So they don't come. Neither do the people who bring them nor the associated kids and grandkids. Get a half decent stand up and attendances will increase.

#28 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

If we are staying at Whitebank (which it seems we are) then we should have the smarteslt little ground around. After all there isn't a lot of facilities to maintain/tidy etc. So agree 100% with a stand and smartening up the parking and access would surely bring in more fans. The pathways at the ground are too narrow for someone with walking difficulties (old and young) to navigate.
One for all and all for the one

#29 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

That's why we get more fans going to spotland for the away fixture than we do forthe same home fixture.

#30 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

a very basic mainstand...capacity around 1300

Posted Image

AFC wimbledon have just built a goal end version of this....with a capacity of just under a 1000

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 March 2013 - 12:48 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#31 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

a very basic mainstand...capacity around 1300

Posted Image

AFC wimbledon have just built a goal end version of this....with a capacity of just under a 1000

How much?

#32 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

the only figures i can find shows the FA gave them £150,000 towards the build....and the FA set the limit of the grants to no more than 50% of the cost of the build....so the total cost has to be £300,000+

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#33 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Nowt has happend now in .......eeeer 4 or 5 years is it .........and there are no working showers ( supposedly ) so I think this is cuckooland

Have to agree with the posts about the state of the stadium though . In the summers we have here you will be P*** Wet Through watchin any match, not to mention freezing , and not being able to see anything .............

Edited by Roughyedz, 28 March 2013 - 12:38 AM.

Posted Image

#34 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

We cannot even have the ability to access behind the sticks at the bottom end or over on the farside next to the golf course.Surely that cant be a big fix but it seems to beyond our means, dream on about the Salford stand.

#35 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

not sure we even have the salford stand anymore??

OLDHAM RLFC

#36 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Whitebank will never be developed to any standard

#37 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

but it easily could...thats the frustrating thing...

OLDHAM RLFC

#38 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

How do you know Spud that Whitebank can be developed? That's the million dollar question.
Why couldn't Oldham Town develop the ground further? My guess is, is that piece of land is a planning nightmare, as there are too many issues to deal with. That's probably why it has taken so long for planning to be submitted, as any normal request would be knocked back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users