Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Make-do-and-mend: is it a thing of the past?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Re recycling:

We try our best, but in the winter (and our most recent summer for that matter) I have ended up chucking all the cardboard etc in the bin as our council don't collect it as a separate recyclable item and if we try and save it to take to the tip for recycling it ends up a soggy smelly mess which I don't really want mucking my car up.

We are allowed to put our cardboard in the green bin with garden waste. There is a pink bag for plastic, blue for papers and a plastic box for bottles and cans. Other rubbish goes in the brown bin. Over in Wigan, I think they have five wheelie bins.

#42 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Over in Wigan, I think they have five wheelie bins.

That's not a lot for a town the size of Wigan. Maybe there's not a lot of waste there. ;)

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Over in Wigan, I think they have five wheelie bins.

That's nothing - in Twickenham, they can fill an 80,000 seater stadium with complete garbage several times a year. :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

That's not a lot for a town the size of Wigan. Maybe there's not a lot of waste there. ;)

But many wasters! :rolleyes: Better not tell my Wigan relatives!

#45 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

We are allowed to put our cardboard in the green bin with garden waste. There is a pink bag for plastic, blue for papers and a plastic box for bottles and cans. Other rubbish goes in the brown bin. Over in Wigan, I think they have five wheelie bins.

We just get a green box for bottles & cans and a blue bag for paper. So the cardboard and plastic is down to us to sort out ourselves/chuck in the bin.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#46 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

You can tell the oldies on here when they reminisce about finding bikes left in a skip, nowadays if it isn't bolted down (actually, no that doesn't matter) then it's probably being "transited" away by jolly nice fellows who did it without even needing to be asked.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

You can tell the oldies on here when they reminisce about finding bikes left in a skip, nowadays if it isn't bolted down (actually, no that doesn't matter) then it's probably being "transited" away by jolly nice fellows who did it without even needing to be asked.

I found that bike less than 10 years ago, BTW.

Mind you, in some areas, if you need to get rid of anything metal and can't be bothered to go to the dump, leaving it outside will mean it disappears within the half hour. Quite convenient, last time our business moved premises and we needed to get rid of a load of old filing cabinets.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I found that bike less than 10 years ago, BTW.

Mind you, in some areas, if you need to get rid of anything metal and can't be bothered to go to the dump, leaving it outside will mean it disappears within the half hour. Quite convenient, last time our business moved premises and we needed to get rid of a load of old filing cabinets.

Correct. I left a gas fire that was unrepairable outside the house and it was gone inside 10 minutes.

#49 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Bury council have furnished us with wheelie bins for garden and food, cardboard and glass and plastic recycling in addition to general waste. The recycling bins are collected once a month and the normal bin every two weeks.
Fides invicta triumphat

#50 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Back in the early 20th century, Winston Churchill spoke of tackling poverty, Today, politicians, church leaders and charities still highlight the need to tackle poverty. You can listen to debates and arguments on and on, but is it really as serious as it's said? Do you know anyone people living in poverty? I know people who are struggling but do get by.

Speaking of the fifties/sixties, did anyone play matchbox rugby? Such a simple game but endless hours of enjoyment.

#51 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Back in the early 20th century, Winston Churchill spoke of tackling poverty, Today, politicians, church leaders and charities still highlight the need to tackle poverty. You can listen to debates and arguments on and on, but is it really as serious as it's said? Do you know anyone people living in poverty? I know people who are struggling but do get by.

Speaking of the fifties/sixties, did anyone play matchbox rugby? Such a simple game but endless hours of enjoyment.

Child poverty is classified by the government as being in a household where the income is less than 60% of average wages. By that simple means of analysis, it could never be eliminated, unless everyone has exactly the same income. -_-

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#52 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yes, people still live in poverty, particularly those who have worked in low paid jobs and then experience illness, physical, or mental. Many children still live in poverty as their parents are in the low wage economy, are made redundant etc. There are also those who have parents who are ill, or who have acquired a disability, and those who have parents with alcohol and drug problems, who will experience poverty. Some of those are the same old problems of course.

As we all know though, it is not an absolute concept and our idea of what constitutes material poverty changes with time.

Yes, I played lots of matchbox rugby when I was a kid, as we were lucky enough to have a dining table and a matchbox of course. Great fun. We also played indoor rugby with cushions and broke a few windows with our heads, arms etc doing so.

#53 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yes, people still live in poverty, particularly those who have worked in low paid jobs and then experience illness, physical, or mental. Many children still live in poverty as their parents are in the low wage economy, are made redundant etc. There are also those who have parents who are ill, or who have acquired a disability, and those who have parents with alcohol and drug problems, who will experience poverty. Some of those are the same old problems of course.

As we all know though, it is not an absolute concept and our idea of what constitutes material poverty changes with time.

Yes, I played lots of matchbox rugby when I was a kid, as we were lucky enough to have a dining table and a matchbox of course. Great fun. We also played indoor rugby with cushions and broke a few windows with our heads, arms etc doing so.

I needed to be very quiet when playing indoors lest I disturbed my grandad who quite often snoozed off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users