Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Good Friday.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

First 30 mins was absolutely dreadful and we were totally outclassed by Rochdale who should have been at least 30-0 up. As soon as Files came on I thought we looked a lot better and gained the lead through his try mid way through the second half. He continually got out of dummy half making yards, breaks and putting others through holes. To take him off when we were in front and on top was one of the worst decisions you will likely see from a coach.

Our half backs were absolutely terrible throughout the game and can hardly moan if either of them are dropped next week for Ratty. Poor kicking in comparison to Crook. No direction of the team until Files took control and completely ignored both half backs to make inroads down the centre backed up by Lepori.

Team selection also seemed very iffy to me. Three hookers in the team. No back rowers on the bench. Hobson getting injured in the warm up then playing only 25 mins never to return when we had Samuel ready to play. Very strange decisions all round from the coaches.

For Rochdale I thought they got their tactics spot for the first 30 mins and last 20. Short side raids took the advantage out of the slope and constant snipes from McClurg kept us pinned back backed up with pin point kicking from Crook with the wind. They lost there way but when they went behind recovered and deservedly won and should really have denied us a bonus point.

A terribly disappointing day and it seems like we already face a hug task to finish in the upper echelons of the league.

#42 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

rochdale were better than we were. i heard rochale were owned by their fans, if so good luck to them. We need to improve

#43 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

We didn't even get that...664

#44 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Once again we get all the pre season hype about how good our players are. What we need is a few experienced players to guide the young players throughout the match. It is not the right strategy to have a young under 20,s side until you sort out a good first team.

#45 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

By the end of May we will have played Gloucester Away, Oxford Home, Hemel Home and Gatesead Away. We need to win all those matches by over 12 points to ensure they don't get a bonus point. If we don't then we will be playing catch up big style. AS far as the challenge cup is concerned this season we don't want an extended run as the league as to take priority.

#46 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Lets just worry about Gloucester try and take 3 points from that game and get the season up and running

#47 OldhamGal

OldhamGal
  • Coach
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

1187 at rangers v head
Ain't it funny how you think you're gonna be OK
Till you remember things are never gonna be the same again?
Ain't it crazy how you think you've got your whole life planned
Just to find that it was never ever in your hands?

My Facebook :)

#48 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I was one of them and thoroughly enjoyed the game, Waterhead dominant first half of a sometimes fierce always competetive match, game hinged on one incident yellow card then further abuse, I was right next to it, He talked himself into a red sadly, then second half very tight and for most of it Waterhead fought like tigers with 12 men and I thought they had done enough, At the bitter end after a string of penalties the Rangers nicked it at the death, a hard full on uncompromising game, a credit to the league, not always lots of flowing footy but a proper intense arm wrestle, for £2.50p I couldnt fault it!
Many thanks indeed to those two sets of players for their endeavours!

Saddleworth Rangers have a young wiry playmaker who came on part way through the match that had a bit of the young Gregg McNally about him , he looks like a fresh faced kid but he was brave and inventive, he went off with an ankle injury...one to watch!

Think it was a Mr Josh Bradbury!

Edited by eclecticsheep, 30 March 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#49 2013leaguer

2013leaguer
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

If anyone watched the U20's they would see that there is promise in that squad and a couple of lads should be given the chance in the first team.

#50 old bird

old bird
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

664 crowd when Saddleworth pull over 1,000 shame on oldham and makes wonder what the RFL are giving to CH

Rugby in oldham is alive and kicking problem is people wont go and watch our pro team why that's the question

#51 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

like i suggested the other day...ORLFC are'nt even the biggest club in oldham anymore :(

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#52 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

like i suggested the other day...ORLFC are'nt even the biggest club in oldham anymore :(

With a better stadium/facilities

#53 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

With a better stadium/facilities

And may I beg to suggest a different owner/owners?

Friday's display was dismal.
In the key positions of 6, 7, 9 and 13 the selected players were not good enough. Files improved things and the rest worked manfully. Don't understand why Roden was not playing. Promising displays in NRC blown out of the water. Hornets fully deserved their win.

#54 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not normally one to bag players, but I thought Palfrey single handedly cost us the game. Two tries scored in his defensive channel in the first half and when we got in front and had chance to put more pressure on them, he kicked the ball straight into touch giving them good starting field position, which they scored from. One thing, i do not think those tries would have been scored if Roden had have been on to defend in that position.
the mention of the game changing for the better when Files came on. Also think Tyrer had a big impact when he was introduced, giving us go forward we had been lacking.

#55 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Attendances are a major problem for all clubs. Just look at Good Friday's Championship attendendances :

Batley v Hunslet 671
Keighley v Barrow 783
Swinton v Leigh 1172
York v Featherstone 945
Workington v Whitehaven 1648

These figures put some perspective on the issue.

#56 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

The only perspective it puts on the issue Is, how can a pro club in a town so steeped in Rugby Lesgue be in such a lowly position in the game? How can the club be in such a poor state that it can only pull 600 on Good Friday? Rank bad management?

#57 Special One

Special One
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

And may I beg to suggest a different owner/owners?

Fantastic suggestion.

#58 Karen88

Karen88
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Id like to put things into prospective Yorkshire like :wub: Thas them that don't go to games on ere and complain,Thas them them that blag they do and complain,Then thas us lot who don't complain and pay fur privy.Owdham Folk, thez nowt so stranger!!!!! EEEHH its that Yorkshire tea tha knows had two many many cups hic hic hic
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

#59 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I love the Hamilton's haters and our forums distastefuls that display there comments on ere Lass.cud I have a cup of that tea yur drinking lol
Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#60 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

The only perspective it puts on the issue Is, how can a pro club in a town so steeped in Rugby Lesgue be in such a lowly position in the game? How can the club be in such a poor state that it can only pull 600 on Good Friday? Rank bad management?

Theres only a few hundred posts onn here already said the same ............ but to no affect ......... still rank bad management
Posted Image