Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Good Friday.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

As Oldham Rugby League fans you should demand an input. If you all came together you could make a positive impact on the running of the club

#62 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

As Oldham Rugby League fans you should demand an input. If you all came together you could make a positive impact on the running of the club

So do you not class yourself as an Oldham RL fan?

#63 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I DO CLASS MYSELF AS AN OLDHAM RUGBY LEAGUE FAN BUT I THINK ITS A BIT RICH AFTER GOING TO ONE GAME WHEN YOU LOT HAVE KEPT THE CLUB GOING FOR 16 YEARS TO CLASS MYSELF IN THE BRACKET. ID JUST LIKE TO SEE THE FANS HAVE A GREATER SAY IN THE CLUB

#64 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I DO CLASS MYSELF AS AN OLDHAM RUGBY LEAGUE FAN BUT I THINK ITS A BIT RICH AFTER GOING TO ONE GAME WHEN YOU LOT HAVE KEPT THE CLUB GOING FOR 16 YEARS TO CLASS MYSELF IN THE BRACKET. ID JUST LIKE TO SEE THE FANS HAVE A GREATER SAY IN THE CLUB

I've always thought a fans remit was to cheer the team on, and the board looks after the business side of things.
I maybe wrong and things are changing. Who knows next we may be singing "Bring out the spreadsheet".

#65 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

I've always thought a fans remit was to cheer the team on, and the board looks after the business side of things.
I maybe wrong and things are changing. Who knows next we may be singing "Bring out the spreadsheet".

100% agree with you that fans should watch and the board looks after the business side, but right now, there is no business side the fans are not coming to watch in the number they use to.

Complete this sentence ''Chris Hamilton is an asset to ORLFC because .........'' If the only answer than people can come up with is because he saved/started the club in 1996 then it time he went, and seeing as there isnt a massive cue of people willing to buy semi-pro rugby clubs in poor stadiums id guess its upto the fans who are really the only people i can see keeping the club going with their support both financial at the gate and in time through volunteering.

If you win the next 15 games 100-0 and win the Division the club will not get promoted in its current gound. I ready in October/November the improvement were going to the planners? were are they? its been 3 years next month.

As far as i can see if Oldham fans really want to support their team and help take it forward, they need to come together and remove Chris Hamilton. If not you will get only want you have had in the last 16 years and then what happens?????

#66 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

The problem as I see it isn't down to one individual, but being in charge, CH will always be an easy target to most. He isn't the reason people are staying away, however, if you asked the stayaways, they will target him as the answer. The same way the stayways used Watersheddings as an excuse.
Oldham RLFC lost their home, and were nomads and were passed from pillar to post, until three years ago. We have a home, albeit embarrassing as a so called professional club. Poor playing surface and poor changing facilities are the killer for me, the facilities for spectators are poor in general, but adequate for the support we have been getting. Priorty for me is creating a surface fit for professional rugby and changing facilities to be worthy of a professional arena. If the players feel like a professional, they will play like a professional. Amateur facilities (and I use that term loosely), and you will get amateur performances. Players need to feel worthy of their professional status to get the best out of them, and poor facilites do not help that motivation grow and develop. To be fair, our training facilities are top drawer, and CH must take some credit for aquiring those for the club. But again can be rewarded with little credit from most.
However, low crowds are everywhere, even at the bottom of SL. It's not just unique at Oldham. The whole sport has gone to pot, as there are no rewards for champion sides anymore, and you are rewarded for failiure. P&R is determined on location, and which Championship Club a SL can get its teeth into and disect. In all, P&R is built on sinking sand, and to be fair, even the most ardant fans are getting fed up. Look at the differentials of the results this Easter period, landslide embarrasing wins for Wigan, Huddersfield & Warrington show the sport for what it is at the moment. Look at the results in Championship to see a fairer reflection in competive games.
The whole game from grassroots upwards is heading into the abyss, with hidden agendas, and selfish greed the motivators. Rugby league for me is alot poorer than it has ever been, and needs change right across the board.

Edited by oldhamer, 02 April 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#67 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

The P&R issue is irrelevant to Oldham at the moment they are in a league were if they are the best or win the playoffs they will get promoted. However they will have to turn it down because the owner hasnt got the facilities upto scratch. They are the simple facts. Has he told the fans how much it will cost? He begging for £10 to sponser some grass.I dont trust id see that money spent on the ground so why should i give it him?

#68 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

There are 2 PRs one is up and down the other is Talk to people

#69 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

P&R is relevant to every single club outside SL. Fans do not turn up anymore because there are no real goal at the end of the season. Yes, there is promotion from Championship 1, and relegation from the Championship, but every fan wants to see their team compete in SL, and as it stands now, its more or less a closed shop, irrespective of how people bully up the franchise system. Featherstones crowds are low, dispite being the form team over the past two/three seasons - they have nothing to play for, like everyone else.

The franchise system was put in place to offer stability to clubs, and look how that has effected Bradford, Salford, London, Celtic, Wakefield etc. Money has been pumped into clubs by SL, and has purely gone on players wages. They cannot have the financial resources anymore to run teams below the first team anymore, albeit a skeleton scholarship program.

#70 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think the clubs in the championship and champ 1 should forget about SL and hope there is someone out there who has a plan B.The future of clubs surviving on crowds of 1000 and less dosnt look good .Inspiration is needed from somwhere.Is there anyone who has the energy/passion out there ?
Just an opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users