RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who is the best referee in Super League?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

League Express Poll: Who is the best referee in Super League?

Thierry Alibert
Phil Bentham
James Child
Steve Ganson
Robert Hicks
Tim Roby
Richard Silverwood
Ben Thaler

Vote online at www.totalrl.com

Posted Image

League Express, Mon 25 March: In shops now (weather permitting! ) or beat the snow and get it online.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Isn't that like voting for your favourite dictator. :ph34r:

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#3 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Is there such a thing?😄😄😄

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Ben Thaler.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ben Thaler.

Agree.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Gav Wilson
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

At the moment there isn't a good one and on principle I wouldn't endorse any of them by giving them a vote.

Here's the positive bit, I think the referees have been very poorly lead by Stuart Cummins and have adopted a position where they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not. Why is that positive, because Cummins stepping down affords us the opportunity to change the ethos within the referees and rescue some of the potential within a number of our current referees while also preventing the next generation of young refs from being ruined. Unfortunately I think a number of the current refs are too far gone and set in their ways to to change and I would be looking for ways to move them on as soon as possible.

I'm not undervaluing the importance of referees in any way but they are not the third team on the pitch. They don't need their own entrance music or a snazzy kit design, they should be the first people out on the field and not have the teams waiting for them to make their entrance to the field of play.

In any sport the quality of a referee is often best judged by how little he is noticed, the best games are those in which the officials let the game flow as uninterrupted as possible.
We currently have referees who beleive they know the rule book word for word, letter for letter even full stop for full stop, the problem here is that they seem to want to demonstrate their knowledge and ruin the game whilst doing so.

I look forward to a different mindset under new leadership.

Edited by OMEGA, 25 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#8 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thaler

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not.

Agreed: the ref is the most important person on the field.

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Wow,
I ask the ref haters, if they have ever given it a go for themselves!

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

Agree with all that - and about Ganson.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Some daft comments.....hopefully in jest though......when we were kids our coach would always tell us to thank a ref and shake his hand after the match as without him, there'd have been no game

#13 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

And I'd prob pick Ganson or Bentham

#14 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

And I'd prob pick Ganson or Bentham

Agree with that. I think them 2 are the best at this moment in time. I probably favour ganson more though because he lets the game flow more and encourages a fast paced game.

#15 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

No jesting from me, yes I have refereed games and no I am not a ref hater.

I beleive that Cummins has set a terrible lead and has taken the referees down the wrong route. To a large extent I don't blame the actual referees as they've had to work under the regime set by their boss.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Wow,
I ask the ref haters, if they have ever given it a go for themselves!

This is such a cop-out response.

And not because I give the officials unnecessary grief, but because by that logic I can't criticise anything I'm not.

Listen here everybody, nobody criticise a player or coach, not until you've been a full time professional player or coach of the national team.

And I voted Thaler too.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Back on topic, I vote thaler, I like the relationship he gets with players and his common sense approach to the rules.
I also like ganson, he leads the players in a more authoritarian way. The best Referees find a style to lead that suits them.

Maybe my comment was a bit copout, but it was annoying that a simple 'who is the best referee' thread quickly turned into a ref bash thread.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Maybe my comment was a bit copout, but it was annoying that a simple 'who is the best referee' thread quickly turned into a ref bash thread.

True, and I think they get unnecessary grief at all levels, and would love to see more people take up officiating.

Anyway, this is all relative, like Jessie from the Fast Show says "this week, I will be mostly disliking Richard Silverwood" cos we lost! :D

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Ganson or Thaler
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2015 "The wasted years"

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Spot on. I've never understood the anti-Ganson thing, although tbh you could probably put any ref name in there as they all get a fair bit of stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users