Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who is the best referee in Super League?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Back on topic, I vote thaler, I like the relationship he gets with players and his common sense approach to the rules.
I also like ganson, he leads the players in a more authoritarian way. The best Referees find a style to lead that suits them.

Maybe my comment was a bit copout, but it was annoying that a simple 'who is the best referee' thread quickly turned into a ref bash thread.

I didn’t just mindlessly bash the referees; in fact my criticism was largely aimed at the Referees controller rather than the refs themselves.
Also I offered my position on the vote itself and rather than just opt out of voting I stated my reasons and hopefully stimulated some intelligent debate.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Can we make sure any votes for Alibert are counted properly?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Most of the time I don't mind Ganson but he does often suffer from a common referees affliction, that of being angry with the players for no apparent reason.
It's an affliction that isn't restricted to referees of Rugby League

#24 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I didn’t just mindlessly bash the referees; in fact my criticism was largely aimed at the Referees controller rather than the refs themselves.
Also I offered my position on the vote itself and rather than just opt out of voting I stated my reasons and hopefully stimulated some intelligent debate.

Not necessarily aimed at you mate, I disagree with some things you said,but at least it was constructive.

Edited by simonwref, 25 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#25 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

The fan who stands in the crowd, he has never got a decision wrong, EVER
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Some daft comments.....hopefully in jest though......when we were kids our coach would always tell us to thank a ref and shake his hand after the match as without him, there'd have been no game

I too was always told to thank the ref,shake his hand and call him sir during a game,I now encourage my kids to do the same.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I too was always told to thank the ref,shake his hand and call him sir during a game,I now encourage my kids to do the same.

While shouting all kinds of obscenities from the sideline. :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Agreed: the ref is the most important person on the field.

I wouldn't like to pick a favourite ref: they're all human and capable of having a good day or a bad day. At a push, I probably enjoy the sort of game that Ganson encourages, at a decent pace and usually not too many penalties. However, even he is capable of being infuriating.

Id agree with that, I like the Ganson that lets most things go, which he often does in big games.

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

While shouting all kinds of obscenities from the sideline. :P

nope,never get at the ref,as has been stated without them their is no game.A poll for your favourite ref does seem a bit odd though.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

nope,never get at the ref,as has been stated without them their is no game.A poll for your favourite ref does seem a bit odd though.

Better than a pole for your least favourite.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

:blink:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

steve ganson by the length of the m62.......worst has to be childs.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Can I change my vote to Bentham for the time being? :wub:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think all refs suffer from the ineffectual support of their touch judges. The linesmen miss so many offsides and forward passes that it's hard to believe that they aren't instructed to turn a blind eye and leave the decision to the ref.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#35 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

At the moment there isn't a good one and on principle I wouldn't endorse any of them by giving them a vote.

Here's the posittive bit, I think the referees have been very poorly lead by Stuart Cummins and have adopted a position where they clearly see themselves as equals to the players, which they are not. Why is that positive, because Cummins stepping down affords us the opportunity to change the ethos within the referees and rescue some of the potential within a number of our current referees while also preventing the next generation of young refs from being ruined. Unfortunately I think a number of the current refs are too far gone and set in their ways to to change and I would be looking for ways to move them on as soon as possible.

I'm not undervaluing the importance of referees in any way but they are not the third team on the pitch. They don't need their own entrance music or a snazzy kit design, they should be the first people out on the field and not have the teams waiting for them to make their entrance to the field of play.

In any sport the quality of a referee is often best judged by how little he is noticed, the best games are those in which the officials let the game flow as uninterrupted as possible.
We currently have referees who beleive they know the rule book word for word, letter for letter even full stop for full stop, the problem here is that they seem to want to demonstrate their knowledge and ruin the game whilst doing so.

I look forward to a different mindset under new leadership.

Agree with all of this, not a ref bashing session and a proper view of the situation.

Cummins gave refs an attitude that was detrimental to the sport, he made them immune from their mistakes and their mistakes became plentiful, but no one could ask why.

As for 'give it a go yourself', ill suggest next time anybody has a go at George Osborne... same principle isnt it?

Best referee in that selection is probably Ben Thaler.

Edited by Matt J, 25 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Cummins Out.

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Gav Wilson

Que?
Posted Image

#37 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Agree with all of this, not a ref bashing session and a proper view of the situation.

Cummins gave refs an attitude that was detrimental to the sport, he made them immune from their mistakes and their mistakes became plentiful, but no one could ask why.

As for 'give it a go yourself', ill suggest next time anybody has a go at George Osborne... same principle isnt it?

Best referee in that selection is probably Ben Thaler.

Is it Cummins that has been responsible or the decision to make referees full time thus eliminating the chances of refs from the championship being promoted to the super league panel on a regular basis which has had a knock on effect on championship standards also
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#38 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ganson by a distance.

Hicks is awful, Child not much better and Roby was far better last Friday at Wigan than I've seen him previously.

#39 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Ganson by far!!

#40 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

I quite like Bentham, he explains his decisions well and isn't afraid to admit when he's got it wrong. Roby is improvng massively, James Child is getting better but a lot of room for improvement. Silverwood used to be the best but I think Ganson and Thaler are doing better now. Ganson can let his ego Ref the game at times though, but 9/10 he's very good. I do think Thaler is the best though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users