TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

"A nasty piece of work ..."

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

The BBC upset Boris Johnson's dad
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

A trifle. This was the no-mark provincial reporter Mair interviewing for Marr's job. At least Boris's position has legitimacy - he was elected, whilst Mair has won nothing of any value.

#3 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

In fairness the, shall we say nastier aspects of Boris' background are usually overlooked by the media.

I've not got a problem with this type of interview as long as its the same for all politician ie Blair, Brown, Milliband, Clegg etc

I suspect he probably would be, but he's not been filling that spot long enough to know.

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think what the interviewer will find out is that very, very few journalists can get away with ambush interviews like that for long before they're left with c-list politicians or has-beens talking to them. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already had a few cancellations from other politicians who are suddenly "too busy".

The trick is to get a few tough questions in but also give a few leading ones to allow them to have their say, that way both sides get something from the interview that makes it worth their time. It's also more interesting telly as you get to see politicians talking about their pet policies rather than just reading what a PR drone typed for their press releases. Boris probably walked out of that interview thinking that he got nothing from it bar being annoyed and insulted by someone trying to impress the bosses and get the job permanently.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Indeed. However, I'm not always convinced that politicians get held to account enough by journalists. (isn't that what the newspaper journalists fear will happen if their is statutory regulation and yet this guy is regulated by statute if my understanding is correct) In Boris' case its rare to see him asked about the more unsavoury incidents in his past. Its all the 'loveable bumbling Boris show'

#6 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

A trifle. This was the no-mark provincial reporter Mair interviewing for Marr's job. At least Boris's position has legitimacy - he was elected, whilst Mair has won nothing of any value.

He's hardly a no - mark provincial reporter. He presents the PM show on Radio 4.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Sorry, yes, you're right, I should have said he was a no - mark Scottish reporter. Anyway, he's failed in his attempt to get Marr's job. Boris has said he did a "splendid job". What will that do for Mair's reputation? :lol: :lol: :lol:

see here

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

since wen should tv interviewers be elected?

there's a documentary on bbc about Johnson tonight. I wonder whether the publicity createdby this will have any effect on the viewing figures?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I don't recall saying they should be elected - though its not a bad idea!

I merely remarked that whatever Mair said or implied during the course of his on-air interview for Marr's job, Boris had the vote of millions, whereas Mair only has the vote of the BBC's PR officer.

Dunno about the viewing figures. I won't be watching.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

since wen should tv interviewers be elected?

there's a documentary on bbc about Johnson tonight. I wonder whether the publicity createdby this will have any effect on the viewing figures?

They shouldn't be elected. They should be appointed by the Conservative Party, and then should certainly not question Tory politicians to the extent Mair did. Not really playing the game old chap, what?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Ayway, Nina Hossain was looking hot on ITV News at One today. I reckon they should get her to interview him. Ladies' man Boris would have agreed to any probing accusation that she put to him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

aye, up, Meth, you ARE awake after all! You're safe...Samond has finished speaking about the referendum. :lol:

Mair can ask what questions he likes, though he mistakenly chose to attack Boris's integrity not his policies as it is now open house on Mair's "integrity" Boris's mistake was not to tell him to ###### off. Anyway, Mair's now too busy wiping off the big sloppy kiss Boris gave him when he said he's done "a splendid job ".

Edited by JohnM, 25 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't recall saying they should be elected - though its not a bad idea!

I merely remarked that whatever Mair said or implied during the course of his on-air interview for Marr's job, Boris had the vote of millions, whereas Mair only has the vote of the BBC's PR officer.

Dunno about the viewing figures. I won't be watching.

then why comment on the fact that he isn't elected?

of course Johnson has the vote of millions tha's how you get the gig in a democracy

whereas Mair was appointed that's how you get the job in broadcasting and most other jobs.

One doesn't invalidate the other.

Johnson likes to be on tv in non political roles it helps him with his image-incidentally the Darius Guppy affair is almost always brought up by Ian Hislop when Johnson is either a panelist or chair on have I got News for you. It gives him the kind ofg PR that enhances his bumbling Wodehousian image, which suits Johnson, but is a facade. If you live by the sword etc.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 March 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Keeping it local

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Ayway, Nina Hossain was looking hot on ITV News at One today. I reckon they should get her to interview him. Ladies' man Boris would have agreed to any probing accusation that she put to him.

Louise Minchin for mine(sigh).
Keeping it local

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

They shouldn't be elected. They should be appointed by the Conservative Party, and then should certainly not question Tory politicians to the extent Mair did. Not really playing the game old chap, what?

bever would have been allowed in my day
Keeping it local

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm surprised there's any fuss about this. I thought everyone knew that Boris Johnson is a deeply unpleasant man.

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just watched the BBC documentary on Boris. Even though he smiles and fillibusters, his eyes are always cold dead and serious.

Definite Tory PM material. And if he gets it, suddenly we won't be laughing.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm surprised there's any fuss about this. I thought everyone knew that Boris Johnson is a deeply unpleasant man.

Well there isn't much of a fuss outside the Westminster/media worlds.

Mair did a bit of a filleting job but it was all old stuff. I doubt it will harm Johnson, and I think that many people quite reasonably expect politicians to have flaws, although the idea that he could be Prime Minister is ludicrous.
is truly strange.

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Just watched the BBC documentary on Boris. Even though he smiles and fillibusters, his eyes are always cold dead and serious.

Definite Tory PM material. And if he gets it, suddenly we won't be laughing.

Could be worse. Gove thinks there is a giant Marxist conspiracy called "The Blob" which is attempting to destroy the education of Britain's children.

"The Blob". Seriously. He thinks there's a secret society called "The Blob"

And he's in charge of your children's school....

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Could be worse. Gove thinks there is a giant Marxist conspiracy called "The Blob" which is attempting to destroy the education of Britain's children.

"The Blob". Seriously. He thinks there's a secret society called "The Blob"

And he's in charge of your children's school....

The Blob - secret cadres of teachers armed with triangular flapjack.

LUNEW.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users