TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

BARB.

w/e 17 March.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

SS2.

4) S.L.,fri,7.30, Leeds v Wigan, 168,000.
6) Darts,thurs, 133,000.
7) R.U.,L.V. Final,sun,2.30 119,000.

Don't think this weekends games will do too well!
I appreciate all Clubs must be shown relatively equally and there is no excuse for a professional team to perform as Widnes did but I don't think it was a great selection by someone at Sky to put on Wigan at home to Widnes.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I appreciate all Clubs must be shown relatively equally and there is no excuse for a professional team to perform as Widnes did but I don't think it was a great selection by someone at Sky to put on Wigan at home to Widnes.

I think the TV selection people saw last year's result and thought that lightning would strike twice
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Whilst the Wigan v Leeds crowd seems slightly low, it is a positive that the only sport rating higher than us is football.

#4 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Whilst the Wigan v Leeds crowd seems slightly low, it is a positive that the only sport rating higher than us is football.

I must say I'm a bit sceptical of this year's figures. They really seem to have dropped but to the extent where it seems more plausible to question the methods rather than the figures. Whether you believe we are having a bad season or not, it seems hard to believe that something like 30% would switch off in one year when so little had changed.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

I must say I'm a bit sceptical of this year's figures. They really seem to have dropped but to the extent where it seems more plausible to question the methods rather than the figures. Whether you believe we are having a bad season or not, it seems hard to believe that something like 30% would switch off in one year when so little had changed.

Yep - it would also appear that other sports' figures have dropped too, so maybe there has been a change in the measurements.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that the Wire v Wigan game got 297k though.

#6 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

If you look at the Leeds financial figures there has been an income decline from the year before.

More relevant to this discussion they note a big fall in season tickets sales but an increase in walk up sales (which do not quite make up the difference).

As recession bites more people will take games on a one off basis.

Maybe the fall is caused by not being able to add in as many season ticket holders to each crowd.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you look at the Leeds financial figures there has been an income decline from the year before.

More relevant to this discussion they note a big fall in season tickets sales but an increase in walk up sales (which do not quite make up the difference).

As recession bites more people will take games on a one off basis.

Maybe the fall is caused by not being able to add in as many season ticket holders to each crowd.

You have read the thread haven't you? :D

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sky/the game can't have it both ways. The drop off in attendances means that the matches themselves look poor on TV. If the regular season is a glorified F1 type race off for Grid places, then people watching at home and buying tickets are entitled to go "meh" until September (when they won't turn up because the games weren't included in season tickets they didn't buy).

#9 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

perhaps dropping all aussie rugby has something to do with it, i thought twice about keeping sky as the better deal is with premier sports.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#10 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

maybe people have switched off in their droves since they stopped seeing all those Stobart lorries to remind them about it ;-)

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yep - it would also appear that other sports' figures have dropped too, so maybe there has been a change in the measurements.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that the Wire v Wigan game got 297k though.

The figures on the BARB site for the Wire v Wigan match were 206,000. These figures will probably be averages, so there may have been a peak audience at some time in the match of 297,000. This weeks figures for the Leeds v Wigan game may have been affected by the Cricket coverage which started as the 2nd half of the SL game got underway.

#12 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I must say I'm a bit sceptical of this year's figures.

Just to be clear, for the matches where the viewing figures are available this season is averaging 157,300 to date. Last season's regular season average was 165,094 while in 2009 it was 154,020.

Sky/the game can't have it both ways. The drop off in attendances means that the matches themselves look poor on TV. If the regular season is a glorified F1 type race off for Grid places, then people watching at home and buying tickets are entitled to go "meh" until September (when they won't turn up because the games weren't included in season tickets they didn't buy).

Just to be clear, how is Super League having playoffs suddenly a problem when it was the same situation in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011? Even with the top 5 and top 6 playoff systems there were only ever 2 to 4 teams capable of winning the Grand Final and did not have to fight to qualify.

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just to be clear, we didn't have playoffs in 1997. Otherwise, I agree with your point. It's like many people in RL (and Warrington fans are among the guilty) completely failed to notice we had playoff systems until Leeds won from fifth.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Must have dropped loads of league fans from Sky since loosing NRL games and the National Leagues.

#15 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Just to be clear, we didn't have playoffs in 1997.

Just to be even more unclear, also the year before last was 2011 and not 2009 as I called it.

######!

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Just to be clean, I had a shower.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Must have dropped loads of league fans from Sky since loosing NRL games and the National Leagues.

How does that account for the amazing figures Sky had last year then? (We have had some lower figures this year before Premier announced the new NRL deal BTW)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Crowd or TV audience?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Crowd or TV audience?

Whoops audience - I assume this is what confused John Rhino? :ph34r:

#20 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well I am one of them. Why pay sky for the poor fayre they have when you can have NRL 8xtimes a week. Not to mention the championship.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users