Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Was 4-tackle rugby league any good?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

I remember watching the very first game under four tackles. I think it was against Barrow in October 1966 in the Floodlit trophy on a rainy night at Watersheddings (that was a rare event!). What a farce of a match it was. Both sides seemed to panic every time they had the ball, knowing that they only had a very limited number of tackles to do anything with it. Matches after this under the new rule improved a little, but six tackles turned into a better option and history has told us it works reasonably well.

You're saying that limited tackles came in as a mid-season rule change? Seriously ?!

#22 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

You're saying that limited tackles came in as a mid-season rule change? Seriously ?!

So did the 10m rule which changed the sport completely.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#23 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

John, is dropping a tackle worth a look then? After all, teams are able to make a lot of progress these days, on (generally) decent pitches and with 10 metres to exploit.

I suppose the points in favour would be that teams would have to do more to score when they have the ball, and may try to move the ball a bit more earlier in the set. On the other hand, a team with a weaker pack or without a halfback with a big boot would get punished.

Not sure. First thoughts would be that it would lead to more kicking. If the last tackle is further out would the team risk running it?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#24 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

John, is dropping a tackle worth a look then? After all, teams are able to name a lot of progress these days, on (generally) decent pitches and with 10 metres to exploit.

I suppose the points in favour would be that teams would have to do more to score when they have the ball, and may try to move the ball a bit more earlier in the set. On the other hand, a team with a weaker pack or without a halfback with a big boot would get punished.

Not sure. First thoughts would be that it would lead to more kicking. If the last tackle is further out would the team risk running it?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#25 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

But isnt frantic interesting? Were the games interesting? Perhaps after a longer trial tge players would have accustomed.

Given that four tackles was only trialled for a short period with a 5m rule and competitive acrums, it might work better in todays game with 10m.

I think 6 tackles may be one or two tackles too many - the first two tackles generally see little or no passing and is just a forward trying to make yards.

Its defo worth trying

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

But isnt frantic interesting? Were the games interesting? Perhaps after a longer trial tge players would have accustomed.

Given that four tackles was only trialled for a short period with a 5m rule and competitive acrums, it might work better in todays game with 10m.

I think 6 tackles may be one or two tackles too many - the first two tackles generally see little or no passing and is just a forward trying to make yards.

Its defo worth trying

Frantic is interesting
But you get it in other aspects of the game
A question of balance I guess
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#27 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Wigan and Oldham where given the choice in the Lancashire Cup Final in 1966 whether to play under the unlimited or 4 tackle rule as the previous rounds had been played under unlimited tackles. If memory serves they elected to use the unlimited tackles rule. The rule was brought in at the end of October 66, two months into the season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Are there any games online during period of the 4tackle rule?

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

you might see some footage of the 1967 cup final, the first cup final to be played under that rule, but the footage is likely to be higlights so not necessarily representative.

by the eway how's it going with the referendum issue? You've been asked some questions about it on the other thread

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 26 March 2013 - 10:14 PM.

Keeping it local

#30 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Not sure, but you can buy most of the Challenge cup finals on DVD from about 1962 onwards.

That's me.  I'm done.

#31 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

you might see some footage of the 1967 cup final, the first cup final to be played under that rule, but the footage is likely to be higlights so not necessarily representative.

Fev have a DVD of that final on sale in their online shop for a tenner.

That's me.  I'm done.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,273 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Fev have a DVD of that final on sale in their online shop for a tenner.

correct. I've got one.

but I wasn't sure that Lobby wouild want to takthings that far. It has to be said it wasn't a classic final.
Keeping it local

#33 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I remember the four tackle period though it was very short lived. From no-limit to four tackles just didn't work though and was too big a jump from what we had had previously.

No limit was the big difference though, with props and hookers with very specific tasks to perform in the scrum and a good prop/hooker combo could be the decisive element in a match - skills which were then lost to the game. Have to say that much as I enjoy today's game I enjoyed the very different game back then too.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Why is that surprising ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#35 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

correct. I've got one.

but I wasn't sure that Lobby wouild want to takthings that far. It has to be said it wasn't a classic final.

Interesting - might check out youtube...

#36 Storm

Storm
  • Coach
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've got the 1970 Championship Final, basically on the fourth tackle, who ever had the ball kicked it. There was no game plan as today. And the defence was only 5 yards back, so it was a mad cramble. Under the 10 metre rule 4 tackles would be less hectic than 5 yards, 40-20's would be attempted more, kicking would end up as the main weapon of the game.

Edited by Storm, 27 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#37 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Why is that surprising ?

Well I know I shouldn't be surprised really. I knew about the switch from 5 to 10 metres. A friend who refereed at the time once told me the message only reached half the officials, so the games in the first week were a mix of 5 and 10 metre rule. I'd just started following the game in the centenary season and remember the kick-off switching to the scoring team mid-season.

Does anyone know if the introduction of the play-the-ball and reduction to 13 players was done in the close season, or was that a week before Christmas 1907?

#38 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

What I do recall vividly was the introduction of the substitute rule. I had played the previous season at U17 for Shaw Cross Rangers. During the closed season however, I had been training with Morley RU and planned to turn out with them that year. A friend of mine who was still going to play for Shaw Cross came around to our house on the Friday before their first fixture to say would I turn out for them as they were one short. I agreed and turned up at the club house the following afternoon. The coach said that as I hadn't been training with them I would be sub. The rules now said he had to have a sub. but he didn't believe in subs. so I wouldn't get a game. I stood on the touchline all the game changed - and no I didn't get a game. I turned out for Morley B at Huddersfield YMCA the following Saturday and never played RL again. (not that I was a great loss to the sport mind! :( )
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#39 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

When I played U17 unlimited tackle RL in the sixties we had a player called Peter Coates ( I believe he subsequently signed for Dewsbury) who was a pastmaster at winning the ball at the PTB - I'd say 2/3 times a game he'd win the ball back. Plus of course you had to pass the ball from AHB, if you were caught in possession you conceded a scrum to the oppostion, so not many dashes by the dummy half. Even in those days of contested scrums, the majority went with the feed no matter who had the head.

The point about the dummy half conceding a scrum if he was caught in possession was something I'd completely forgotten. I assume you're pretty certain about it. It's quite an interesting concept that could be adapted today in some way to discourage too many dummy-half scoots, and to encourage more passing of the ball from the ruck.

#40 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

The point about the dummy half conceding a scrum if he was caught in possession was something I'd completely forgotten. I assume you're pretty certain about it. It's quite an interesting concept that could be adapted today in some way to discourage too many dummy-half scoots, and to encourage more passing of the ball from the ruck.

I'm certain about it as I posted the same thing earlier!
Hookers were real heroes in those days, mine was Barry Sims especially as he was dating my mates cousin and I got to talk to him
If you want to see how the scrum rule for dummy halves works watch the kids games at half time. Same rule except the opposition can't run until he has passed it!

Edited by John Rhino, 27 March 2013 - 07:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users