Was 4-tackle rugby league any good?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

The point about the dummy half conceding a scrum if he was caught in possession was something I'd completely forgotten. I assume you're pretty certain about it. It's quite an interesting concept that could be adapted today in some way to discourage too many dummy-half scoots, and to encourage more passing of the ball from the ruck.

I'm certain. I was that dummy half - Ossett 0 Thornhill 43 Crown Flatt 1962 - I didn't know the rule myself. Ten yards from the line, I as at dummy half and I ran - I thought what have I to lose - either I score or it's a PTB, I got quite a long way to the line - they weren't expecting such a stupid move - I was tackled, we lost the subsequent scrum and field position - my teamates weren't best pleased :wacko:

Edited by Trojan, 27 March 2013 - 08:23 PM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#42 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

The point about the dummy half conceding a scrum if he was caught in possession was something I'd completely forgotten. I assume you're pretty certain about it. It's quite an interesting concept that could be adapted today in some way to discourage too many dummy-half scoots, and to encourage more passing of the ball from the ruck.

I've suggested that dummy scoots should be outlawed on here in the past, so it is interesting to hear this. Personally I hate the cheap yards that this gains. Also it is a bit more difficult to defend against especially near the line. I think it contributes to larger score margins especially in combo with the 10m rule.

#43 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've suggested that dummy scoots should be outlawed on here in the past, so it is interesting to hear this. Personally I hate the cheap yards that this gains. Also it is a bit more difficult to defend against especially near the line. I think it contributes to larger score margins especially in combo with the 10m rule.

I'm not sure just when the rule was introduced, but I believe it was a response to Workington basically sticking the ball up their jumpers for the last twenty minutes of the CC Final in 1952. I believe it was Gus Risman's idea. I suppose it's similar to the response to Murphy's tactics in the 1966 final.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users