TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Local Schools Project

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Looks like Folly are going to be doing some good community work in the local schools. Let's hope the Lions can back them up on some of this also. It can only go to help RL in the area. Just think, in a few years there'll be no need for D/R......a squad of local lads!

"Folly Lane are pleased to announce that a new school's project is due to commence following the half term break.
The club now have an agreement with St. Charles' School in Swinton, where coaches shall be attending every Friday for an after school club.

Discussions are also progressing with Grosvenor Road School in Swinton, where it is hoped that further classes shall be held for varying age groups.

It is the ultimate aim of the club to increase its community involvement and to develop our links with Swinton Schools, where we also hope that this will present an increase in playing staff at the club."

#2 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I went to Grosvenor Road! Didn't realise it still existed. Went on to Farnworth Grammar which shut years ago. Farnworth was a football school and Alan Ball was there while I was. Although I watched Swinton with my Dad from being old enough to see over the wall at Station Road, I didn't play until my very expensive racing bike was stolen and I needed something cheap to keep me occupied. Ended up playing scrum half for Swinton Young Conservatives, and my only strong memory of that time was losing to Folly 104-0! I'm not holding a lifelong grudge or anything!

The future of RL lies with the kids. They don't have any hang-ups about RL as it was, DR, or summer v winter. Us old farts aren't going to be around forever.

Thank you, Folly!
Posted Image

#3 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Great news that the Club's two community RL coaches, Jenny (represented England) and Neil are going out in to the schools in the Swinton area providing coaching sessions.

I feel that this is such a good move for the club, community and the game that I've had to drop them an email wishing them good luck.

Shout it from the rooftops "Well done Swinton RLFC!"

#4 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Let's wait and see whether this is another case of the club telling people what it thinks they want to hear, or a true commitment to deliver.

The club has happily neglected the Swinton area in favour of East Lancashire and Bury whilst there were opportunistic funding arrangements available in those other areas. Throughout that time there was never any block to the club carrying out community development in the Swinton area, which does not have to take the form of coaching RL by the way, just a lack of commitment.

As a result of Sport England cutting its funding allocation to RL, the money has dried up in East Lancashire and Bury and this is what has prompted consideration of a change in approach.

Not exactly a case of the powers that be seeing the light I suggest, more a case of them being left with little alternative.

Let's see some proper evidence of tangible delivery and a sustained commitment that lasts more than a few months.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#5 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Looks like Darryl from Folly is starting to make the breakthrough. Pity some people are shooting it down already .

People also don't know that The Supporters Trust are now the shirt sponsor on the Folly Lane under 9 side. So YES the club are working with the community.

Well done Darryl & Paul keep up the good work and also the Lions Community officers.

#6 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Looks like Darryl from Folly is starting to make the breakthrough. Pity some people are shooting it down already .

People also don't know that The Supporters Trust are now the shirt sponsor on the Folly Lane under 9 side. So YES the club are working with the community.

Well done Darryl & Paul keep up the good work and also the Lions Community officers.

So are you announcing here Ian that the Trust is no longer independent from the club?

Else it is the Trust and not the club that deserves credit for sponsoring the U9's shirts at Folly.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Phil,youre just being nasty now.

Edited by mark richardson, 26 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#8 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Exactly why you should be interested Phil is beyond me......bearing in mind you don't even support the Lions.
Yet again you choose to seek the negative,my 19 year old son has more about him than you,his reaction was to contact the two community coaches and offer his services having just completed his level 1 coaching badge.
So straight away the initiative is working.

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

So are you announcing here Ian that the Trust is no longer independent from the club?

Else it is the Trust and not the club that deserves credit for sponsoring the U9's shirts at Folly.

Chicken and egg here Phil since there would be no need for a trust bearing the name Swinton were it not for the club and it is the supporters of that club which funds the trust doesn't it.?

#10 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Well done folly well done Lions, Phil please post something positive, dragging a negative out of this news is just showing your TRUE colours get a grip.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#11 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Incidentally there has been very little mention on here of the club significantly reducing prices on here for the Whitehaven game next Thursday, where adults will gain entry for just a fiver. Excellent value and yet again an initiative from the club compensating the fans for the dual cup match where the price was set at £18 and with no movement due to the insistence of Leigh I understand.

#12 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Seems the cut in funding from Sport England has meant that the Rugby League can no longer fund areas such as East Lancashire meaning the club can work wherever it chooses.Im sure being proactive in the locality is something everyone agrees is vital to the long term future of the club.We just need to augment this good news with something tangible on Agecroft.

#13 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's good to see. Neil and Jenny are both passionate about rugby league, and hopefully they'll have an impact in M27 and neighbouring districts, especially now that new funding for school sport is being made available that has potential to sustain their roles.

If it's not already happening, it is perhaps a good time for the club/fans to support these officers by forming an independent community foundation like the successful ones that exist at other clubs to ringfence and protect this work, investment and personnel - or work within the governance of the Supporters Trust to ensure the same.

Edited by Jonty, 26 April 2013 - 03:47 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#14 kingspeedbump

kingspeedbump
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Both Jenny and Neil have been absolutely great following up from my meeting with them a couple of weeks ago. They've wasted no time in contacting the schools and establish links with them and look towards the projected school competition.

I'm hoping that we can work closely with them, so we both parties can share our resources and knowledge to help each other in our own objectives.

As an amateur club in the area, we're greatful of any assistance in increasing children's awareness of the greatest game on the planet, where our ultimate aim is to have a constent drip feed of new players to our club.

Here's to the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users