Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pan-Scandinavian League (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

http://cphpost.dk/sp...eague-their-own

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Eugene seems happy enough! :D

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Result from today's opening match:

Skåne 18, Copenhagen 16

#4 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

And a bloody great game it was too. Picture on @copenhagenblac1

Congratulations to both team and to Danny Boag who was a superb ref!

Swesaint, were you at the game?

Edited by Bob8, 30 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#5 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Bob8: I was. I took some photos as well including a team photo of Skåne. Will post tomorrow.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

I don't get it. How is this a pan-Scandinavian league if the Norwegians have their own league and aren't taking part? Surely it's a Dano-Swedish league?

#7 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

I don't get it. How is this a pan-Scandinavian league if the Norwegians have their own league and aren't taking part? Surely it's a Dano-Swedish league?

We could possibly have called it the Southern Scandinavian League, but we not intending to rule out clubs from the north of Scandinavia joining at some point. Equally, it may be that the league becomes the higher echelon above the national leagues.

We have a specific strategy in mind, but we are aware we will have to adapt to what is most practical.

Besides, if anyone's name is misleading, I would suggest the plethora 'Super Leagues' that there are in various sports are higher candidates.

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Bob8: I was. I took some photos as well including a team photo of Skåne. Will post tomorrow.

Next time, catch up with me. I would be good to catch up with you at last.

No doubt we saw each other at some point.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I know it's all pie in the sky, wishful thinking and if I had a magic wand stuff for now but how cool would it be to have a professional 10-12 team pan Scandinavian league, with teams from olso, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Stockholm, malmo, Aarhus etc. with the Viking tradition of Nordic countries and the rivalry between these countries rugby league and a pan Scandinavian professional league could be well suited for the Nordic people.

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I know it's all pie in the sky, wishful thinking and if I had a magic wand stuff for now but how cool would it be to have a professional 10-12 team pan Scandinavian league, with teams from olso, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Reykjavik, Stockholm, malmo, Aarhus etc. with the Viking tradition of Nordic countries and the rivalry between these countries rugby league and a pan Scandinavian professional league could be well suited for the Nordic people.

We are working on having two more of those before too long.

There is a great deal of tough work to be put in though. Getting the clubs established and developing youth and coaching expertise will be the early priorities. That will put us in a stronger position to spread to new areas.

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

We are working on having two more of those before too long.

There is a great deal of tough work to be put in though. Getting the clubs established and developing youth and coaching expertise will be the early priorities. That will put us in a stronger position to spread to new areas.

Fantastic, maybe I'm overdoing the Viking warrior tradition but as someone like yourself who is heavily involved with rugby league and the people in that region do you find that the Nordic people would love the rough and tumble physical nature of rugby league?

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Fantastic, maybe I'm overdoing the Viking warrior tradition but as someone like yourself who is heavily involved with rugby league and the people in that region do you find that the Nordic people would love the rough and tumble physical nature of rugby league?

The world is drifting away from team sports and rough sports and as, an advanced nation, Denmark is no further behind in this trent.

However, I think some people have the rugby player psyche and it is probably a similar proportion world round. The Danes are big people (only slightly shorter than the Dutch on average) and there are enough of them still untapped by similar physically tough sports to come up with a great player base.

#13 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

A big problem that both Denmark and Sweden could be facing is the fact that Rugby Union also is a small sport in both countries. Quite a lot of the League players, at least in Sweden, seem to be playing both codes at the moment.

At the games I've been to I've heard a lot of friends and relatives to players talking about what they are watching at the moment not being "real rugby", even though they can get impressed by the odd tackle here and then.

Most of us here at this board are of course of another opinion, but when people close to players say things like that, then you understand that the people trying to introduce the game here have a tough task ahead of them.

#14 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

A big problem that both Denmark and Sweden could be facing is the fact that Rugby Union also is a small sport in both countries. Quite a lot of the League players, at least in Sweden, seem to be playing both codes at the moment.

At the games I've been to I've heard a lot of friends and relatives to players talking about what they are watching at the moment not being "real rugby", even though they can get impressed by the odd tackle here and then.

Most of us here at this board are of course of another opinion, but when people close to players say things like that, then you understand that the people trying to introduce the game here have a tough task ahead of them.

That isn't a problem at all, in fact it's probably a very good thing. With competent management RL is far more likely to succeed in places where RU isn't popular or known, that means people won't have any preconceptions or bias towards RL. In fact, I'd suggest removing the word 'rugby' and thinking of a new name altogether when RL is translated into different languages (such as Spanish or Portugese). We need to distance ourselves from RU as much as possible, trying to piggyback on RU will always be doomed to failure.

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

That isn't a problem at all, in fact it's probably a very good thing. With competent management RL is far more likely to succeed in places where RU isn't popular or known, that means people won't have any preconceptions or bias towards RL. In fact, I'd suggest removing the word 'rugby' and thinking of a new name altogether when RL is translated into different languages (such as Spanish or Portugese). We need to distance ourselves from RU as much as possible, trying to piggyback on RU will always be doomed to failure.

I strongly agree (and hope we qualify as "competent management").

Few people here know much more about rugby than it is very rough and played in England and Australia. They would not be able to tell a rugby game from american football, aussie rules or gaelic football. We have enough rugby union infastructure to have posts available, but the game is small enough that we will not be growing the game off the back of their players but be after our own.

We are fortunate to have a game the is first of all a spectacle, we are far better than rugby union here, but possibly behind american football. We are more fortunate than either of these in that our game is faster and easier to understand. This gives us a great chance.

#16 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hopefully you are right and once the game grows here players playing both codes will have to choose one of them.

Next time, catch up with me. I would be good to catch up with you at last.

No doubt we saw each other at some point.

I'm sure we did Bob8. There was too many new faces for me though. I was the guy in the red jacket. Hopefully I'll go to your game versus Kungsbacka on Saturday. It's depending a little on the kick-off time and venue.

I have some photos from yesterdays game, but can't seem to post them. If you want them, please send me your e-mail address in a PM.

#17 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,356 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

I have been lucky enough to take a team to Gothenburg for the 9s and met the Swedes led by Scott Edwards. They seem to set realistic aims and dont expect things to be easy. A number play both League and Union- which is OK. The main thing is the people running it take care of everybody and not just make decisions which help one club or area. And the name of a comp is not that important for now. Least there is a proper comp happening and maybe a team from Finland, Norway or even the Baltic states could join in time.This year I dont have that much time, but maybe can convince the wife to have a weekend in Copenhagen when a game is on.

#18 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Whatever you do , dont ask anyone from The R F L HQ for any advice on expanding the game , as they have been trying for over 100 years now and have made a complete ******* of it every single year.......However other people NOT connected to The RFL have managed to do something ............ despite The RFL
Posted Image

#19 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Whatever you do , dont ask anyone from The R F L HQ for any advice on expanding the game , as they have been trying for over 100 years now and have made a complete ******* of it every single year.......However other people NOT connected to The RFL have managed to do something ............ despite The RFL

Go away.

#20 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I have been lucky enough to take a team to Gothenburg for the 9s and met the Swedes led by Scott Edwards. They seem to set realistic aims and dont expect things to be easy. A number play both League and Union- which is OK. The main thing is the people running it take care of everybody and not just make decisions which help one club or area. And the name of a comp is not that important for now. Least there is a proper comp happening and maybe a team from Finland, Norway or even the Baltic states could join in time.This year I dont have that much time, but maybe can convince the wife to have a weekend in Copenhagen when a game is on.

Slow and steady is important, although that can still feel break neck to administer. We have many very capable people, as there is on the Swedish side too, but also in Copenhagen, Odense and Jutland. As you state making sure you do not just concentrate on your own area is very important.

We are in constant contact with the RLEF and receive advice and guidance on a regular basis. They tend to advise rather than dictate in my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users