Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pan-Scandinavian League (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

The world is drifting away from team sports and rough sports and as, an advanced nation, Denmark is no further behind in this trent.

However, I think some people have the rugby player psyche and it is probably a similar proportion world round. The Danes are big people (only slightly shorter than the Dutch on average) and there are enough of them still untapped by similar physically tough sports to come up with a great player base.

Scandinavians do seem to appreciate fast contact sports, I have sat with Scandinavians watching their national teams playing ice hockey and handball and have always had a brilliant time as the fans always generate a lot of atmosphere.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#22 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

The response of the crowds here to the games has been inspiring. Were they as down on the game as many on trl, I would have given up long ago.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#23 s2sEagles

s2sEagles
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

The Union/League thing is slightly different for us in Canada.

East Coast don't have the weather to play Union during the winter like the West Coast does. This means they are battling Union for players and not winning due to Union being an established sport here in Canada.

The West is different as our boys play Union through the miserable winter months and then come summer they turn to league. Worked well for us back in Scotland and working wonders for us here in BC.

To get away from the Union code completely, we have to implement a 5-10 year plan where you take League to the schools that don't have rugby programs, and start building your players from here.

It is a lot of work and money and without funding it's next to impossible to achieve.

Anyways that's just my look on things.

Cheers

#24 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

The Union/League thing is slightly different for us in Canada. East Coast don't have the weather to play Union during the winter like the West Coast does. This means they are battling Union for players and not winning due to Union being an established sport here in Canada. The West is different as our boys play Union through the miserable winter months and then come summer they turn to league. Worked well for us back in Scotland and working wonders for us here in BC. To get away from the Union code completely, we have to implement a 5-10 year plan where you take League to the schools that don't have rugby programs, and start building your players from here. It is a lot of work and money and without funding it's next to impossible to achieve. Anyways that's just my look on things. Cheers

It sounds like the East Coast should target people with no rugby background then.

TBH what Union does is irrelevant since it's a totally different sport. If it's possible to get some mileage or a foothold on the back of them as you seem to be doing in BC then great, but otherwise it's really nothing to do with RL, they are just two sports that happen to be vaguely similar.

Edited by Evil Homer, 04 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#25 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

In Copenhagen, Skåne Crusaders drew 18-18 with Copenhagen RLFC.  Having won all their previous games, this meant Skåne were able to claim the title.

The previous game with Copenhagen had ended 18-16, showing the competitive race for the top.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#26 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well done to all 3 teams. Hopefully this concept can grow but at its own pace not others with an agenda.

#27 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Today's result

Kungsbacka 4, Copenhagen 72.

#28 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

And with that, the first season is complete with all fixtures fulfilled.

The clubs should be proud of their efforts.

#29 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Last game was played yesterday. Skåne 56, Kungsbacka 0.

#30 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Congratulations Steve and all involved - A great achievement in year 1!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#31 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

http://cphpost.dk/sp...wo-lousy-points

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

I like the comparison to the Six Nations. :D

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Fab article, though the 6N comparison is slightly confusing - at one stage during scot ire game I thought my tv had frozen !

#34 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Fab article, though the 6N comparison is slightly confusing - at one stage during scot ire game I thought my tv had frozen !

Perhaps, but I assure you that comparing our level to the Six Nations is intended as kind and is so! PLease, 'like' and comment if you can.

We are getting comparable coverage to american football and more so that rugby union.  In reality, we are not yet as big as either and the coverage is generous.  In coming years, we will earn and surpass it.

To show the improvement, it took a while to get this article in, which features many of the worst aspects;

http://cphpost.dk/sp...-league-its-own

It has come on since then.

Edited by Bob8, 15 May 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#35 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Steve: Any news yet on the Nordic Cup dates?

#36 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Danish dates are; 3rd August: Sweden vs Denmark 17th August: Denmark vs Norway

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Am I right in thinking Sweden is more expensive than Denmark?

That may have a bearing on if/which game I go to

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#38 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Am I right in thinking Sweden is more expensive than Denmark?

That may have a bearing on if/which game I go to

Denmark is more expensive for all things, other than beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users