Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/03/13 - Leeds Rhinos v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (10 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Bradford Bulls (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Sorry to be on a downer, but, technically, I didn't think it was a great game and i think we were a bit lucky to get a draw. For all that, it was a very exciting game to watch and the atmosphere in the crowd was like the old days.

I thought: -
- Brett Kearney was already on the way down before Ryan Hall pushed him during the build up to the early disallowed try.
- We gave so many stupid penalties away for holding down non-dangerous players in non-dangerous positions in the first half that someone could have got sin-binned.
- Jarrod Sammut was quiet compared to recent weeks and didn't look to stand very often on the right hand side of the play-the-ball. Thus Danny Addy was the playmaker on that side and, though he made ground by running, he slows the passing moves down whenever he gets the ball. I couldn't believe it when I got to the pub and they told me he was the Sky MOM. My choice would be Manese Manufakoa or Jamie Foster and John Bateman had an outstanding second half.
- The Leeds triumvirate of Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow never really clicked to open us up like they usually do.
- We scrambled well and kicked pretty well and nobody left the field without plenty of aches and bruises. We have more than enough perspiration, but could have done with a bit more inspiration.
- Neither side played well enough to beat Wigan on current form. Leeds go to France this weekend, and the Catalans beat us by a comfortable margin last week. Even in a topsy turvy season, I can't see a Leeds win.

Still, what do I know!
:D

When Luke Gale comes back,we'll find out how good we can be, and what can be our reasonable expectations for the end of the season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#142 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Well we more than deserved the draw and it was a great finish to the game!

I think at times we were a bit devoid of ideas when we got into the Leeds 20m area and seemed to do a lot of side ways running! Addy is never a half back and really slows the play down for us, but I think once Gales back that should hopefully work itself out and I think he would have made a big difference for us tonight.

I thought Manufakoa was brilliant in the middle and think we have a really exciting back three (backs) with Foster proving a great signing - again showing the value of a good kicker.

But more than anything, I saw a bulls side play with some heart and you couldn't fault the effort in any of them which is as much as you can ask I think.

For the Rhinos, Peacock must be kicking himself as he pretty much cost them the game and I'd love to see somebody absolutely annihilate Bailey (get Radford out of retirement?!) who is just a cheap shot merchant. Watkins looks a cut above most other players and would love to see him in the England team come October.

I haven't seen the game back on TV yet but got a few texts at the game saying what a great match it was which tbh I didn't notice so much when I was there so looking forward to the Sky+ tomorrow.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#143 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Addy may not IYO be a half back but he's doing a bloody good impersonation of someone with a kicking game. IMO, a real revelation.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#144 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think not just IMO but quite a few Bulls fans ive spoke to, and I don't doubt he's a good player, personally think he looks like more of a 13 as he has a good pair of hands and is strong, he's just too slow for a 6/7.

In terms of kicking game, agree he is good and actually the poorer kicks of the night generally came from Sammut. I think Addy was most shown as not a HB when we were near their line as he seemed to lack a decisiveness and speed of thought. But again, I do rate him and think he has a big future, just not as a HB!

#145 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

I thought: -
- Brett Kearney was already on the way down before Ryan Hall pushed him during the build up to the early disallowed try.

The try was disallowed because Jones-Buchanon was inside 10m so was offside.
Posted Image

#146 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

I think not just IMO but quite a few Bulls fans ive spoke to, and I don't doubt he's a good player, personally think he looks like more of a 13 as he has a good pair of hands and is strong, he's just too slow for a 6/7.

In terms of kicking game, agree he is good and actually the poorer kicks of the night generally came from Sammut. I think Addy was most shown as not a HB when we were near their line as he seemed to lack a decisiveness and
speed of thought. But again, I do rate him and think he has a big future, just not as a HB!

Well I, and other Bulls fans I know can't believe how good he is in the role. He certainly is the best I've seen in the last few seasons, ok perhaps that's not saying much but I reckon he is the man for the job. Watch this space.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#147 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Agreed, but its a technicality that has next to nothing to do with Rugby League.
We need to learn to let the game flow and stop being overly officious.

It's not over officious he's off side he can get away with being offside if he gives the defender ten metres. He didn't do that so the ref has no option.

#148 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Well I, and other Bulls fans I know can't believe how good he is in the role. He certainly is the best I've seen in the last few seasons, ok perhaps that's not saying much but I reckon he is the man for the job. Watch this space.

Consider the space watched! At least we agree he's a good player. Will be interesting to see where he plays when everyone is fit.

#149 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Just to be clear, (heh!) Peacock was binned for dissent.

It seemed a lot more even when watching it back just now, I thought it was a point won by us but it was actually a lot more even than I first thought. Great seats right next to the tunnel, fascinating sat sandwiched between the bench and the coach/director area.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#150 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sorry, John, but I don't think Danny Addy is anywhere near as good at stand off as Jarrod Sammut. If I was a defensive coach, I know who'd be the easiest to put a game plan against ... just crowd him out with a two-man blitz on the fifth tackle and try to make him kick off his wrong foot. I think he's a loose forward in the Steve McNamara mould.

#151 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

The try was disallowed because Jones-Buchanon was inside 10m so was offside.

Oh well, fair enough.We were stood with supporters of both sides and we all saw the replay and thought it was for the push.

In that case, we were robbed!!

;) :D

#152 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

The JJB call was correct. Everyone looked bemused around me while the replayed were going ahead until I explained. I knew from the 1st replay it was no try. Regardless of whether he got involved in the play or not, he was still withing the 10 and that puts more pressure on the defender, hence the mistake and penalty. He may have muffed it even if JJB or McGuire hadn't have encroached, but regardless, the rules are the rules and I had no problem.

Awesome game though. The best I have been to this year. It had a bit of everything. Well done Leeds for defending like we did in the 2nd half and well done Bradford for never giving in. Most teams capitulate against us in the last 20.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#153 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

When Delaney went to remonstrate about the spear tackle JJB found the ball in his hands in a broken field and could have forged on.

Also, on a bitterly cold night with snow piled up against the wall at the back of the Western Terrace, like the good old times, why did nobody restore the tradition of snowballing the full back?

#154 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Letting Lunt go back to Huddersfield will haunt Leeds this season,Burrow has poor distribution from hooker, disappointed with Peacock last night,he let the pressure get to him,firstly when giving away a penalty for a shove in the face of Whitehead when sinfield had dropped a goal,then dissent.
A point lost by Leeds.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#155 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Letting Lunt go back to Huddersfield will haunt Leeds this season

Was it Leeds' call though? He is a Huddersfield player.

(Typical Leeds fan thinking they run the league!) :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#156 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

It seemed a lot more even when watching it back just now, I thought it was a point won by us but it was actually a lot more even than I first thought. Great seats right next to the tunnel, fascinating sat sandwiched between the bench and the coach/director area.

Agree, watching it back it was a lot better game on Sky than it was at the ground, even disregarding prior knowledge of the result. At the time I thought we had picked their pockets a bit, on the replay I thought a point was the least we deserved. Enjoyable game
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#157 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Was it Leeds' call though? He is a Huddersfield player.

(Typical Leeds fan thinking they run the league!) :P

Leeds had the option to buy him.
:rolleyes:

#158 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Leeds had the option to buy him.
:rolleyes:

;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#159 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

And Hetherington, who likes to good profit wouldn't part with the cash.

#160 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

And Hetherington, who likes to good profit wouldn't part with the cash.

Clever boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users