RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/03/13 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons - KO 8pm

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted London Broncos (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Catalan Dragons (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Shame they couldn't use Pennine Way or the HAC
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#42 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Played on that pitch v Surrey Heath RL the day before meeting the future in-laws for the first time. Turned up in Lancashire with a broken nose and two black eyes. Future spouse not best pleased.....................got man of the match though. She still mentions it twenty years later...............let it go woman.

#43 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hopefully the Broncos will be savvy enough to know that Esher is in Elmbridge and to invite everyone at Elmbridge Eagles RL along for the evening.

I've just passed on your suggestion to them!

#44 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Is it within your Zone 1-62 travelcard?

What zone is it in Manx? Are you going?

#45 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Or Clapham Common! That would have been good for us Northern(line)ers

#46 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

+1

#47 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

What zone is it in Manx? Are you going?

Way beyond zone 6, 2 trains an hour to or from civilisation.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#48 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

what's the capacity?

I can't see the problem, other than the fact that oily Inverdale might show up

My dad went to Esher once and sat next to Inverdale at a dinner. My mates still take the ###### out of me. Actually tho it will be interesting to see the crowd. I'm gonna try and make the game cos my sister lives in Guildford so I might be able to crash there and get the train. Result!
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

what's the capacity?

I can't see the problem, other than the fact that oily Inverdale might show up

Capacity is 3,000 (1,200 seated) according to wiki.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,122 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

What's wrong with a game on the road, it's spreading the word!!

Seriously though, it's not good for the profile of the sport in the big smoke.

#51 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

What a pain. We were all set to go to our first Broncos game tomorrow, but I think this may be difficult to get to. If we do go, will they still charge the full £20 admission fee each?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

I did wonder whether it was anything to do with protecting the pitch for their landlords' use but see Quins don't have a home match now until April 13th.

There is some kind of Cup game on the 6th or 7th. The Bulls game has been moved to Friday night. Which was nice.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#53 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

A new low?

Quite right. Its a total farce.
If the pitch is not playable or expected to be playable I can understsand the Landlords calling it as such.
Cant understand why it wasnt postponed and a new date sought later in the year when we are out of the cup.
Its not ideal I appreciate what with any Cats supporters having flights booked but wonder if the roles were
reversed and the Gilbert Brutus and Aimee Giral stadia were unavailable if Cats would have sanctioned the fixture
to be played at say Albi or Pia.

Also of course can we expect the same friday week when The Bulls are due to visit if The Quins are looking to protect
the venue two days before there HC Cup match v Munster.

So yes I believe it is a new low, until the next one that is.

#54 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Its not ideal I appreciate what with any Cats supporters having flights booked but wonder if the roles were
reversed and the Gilbert Brutus and Aimee Giral stadia were unavailable if Cats would have sanctioned the fixture
to be played at say Albi or Pia.

The roles were reversed against Hull in round 2 last season, after Water(pitch)gate.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#55 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

What a pain. We were all set to go to our first Broncos game tomorrow, but I think this may be difficult to get to. If we do go, will they still charge the full £20 admission fee each?

According to the Broncos website, yes.

http://www.londonbro...esults/4850.php

#56 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

you could probably stage the game on the in-goal areas!

played there for Kingston Warriors vs West London when they helped us out at the last minute

In goal areas are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

#57 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I don't understand why they simply didn't postpone the game and then play it later in the year. Unless the club's expecting a nice cup run, of course.

Playing at a venue like this does nothing for the club or the game. In fact, it looks a bit pathetic.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#58 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I don't understand why they simply didn't postpone the game and then play it later in the year. Unless the club's expecting a nice cup run, of course.

Playing at a venue like this does nothing for the club or the game. In fact, it looks a bit pathetic.

I'd guess because programmes have been printed, match day costs paid etc etc ... and they don't want to have to do all that again.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#59 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Just to be clear, to whom? Those who are not rugby league fans will not notice or care. But even if the game could have been played on a perfect pitch at the Stoop it would still have been dismissed as pathetic by RL ones as it would have almost certainly seen the lowest attendance of the season. If anything playing at Esher gives an excuse for the attendance, which will presumably now be a three-figure gate.

And what of those Catalans fans who had booked a trip to the UK to watch the match? If the Catalans knew several days in advance of a match that the Gilbert Brutus pitch was unplayable then British fans would be protesting to them and the RFL if the game was simply postponed until later in the year rather than them finding an alternative venue.

#60 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

As Inverdale is a director of both Esher and Rhino Rugby it ought to draw a record crowd to see his balls being kicked about.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Club news release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users