League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/03/13 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons - KO 8pm

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted London Broncos (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Catalan Dragons (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'd guess because programmes have been printed, match day costs paid etc etc ... and they don't want to have to do all that again.

I'd imagine most of Catalans travel costs will be non-refundable and I'd imaigne sizeable when compared to the cost of your average Super League away day!

#62 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

As Inverdale is a director of both Esher and Rhino Rugby it ought to draw a record crowd to see his balls being kicked about.

Undoubtably the best post ever made on this forum. Thanks for making my day.

#63 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

There is some kind of Cup game on the 6th or 7th. The Bulls game has been moved to Friday night. Which was nice.

That some kind of Cup game is the Heineken Cup quarter final, which is being played at Twickenham stadium. I believe the Bulls game was switched as the local police weren't keen on having to deal with two matches on the same afternoon at venues just around the corner.

Obviously no-one at the Met has looked to see what the Bronco's home crowds have been this season as I'm sure another 1900 people in the vicinity wouldn't be a problem in the context of the 80,000 likely to watch Quins play Munster.

#64 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

That some kind of Cup game is the Heineken Cup quarter final, which is being played at Twickenham stadium. I believe the Bulls game was switched as the local police weren't keen on having to deal with two matches on the same afternoon at venues just around the corner.

Obviously no-one at the Met has looked to see what the Bronco's home crowds have been this season as I'm sure another 1900 people in the vicinity wouldn't be a problem in the context of the 80,000 likely to watch Quins play Munster.

Ahh ok. Cheers.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Still. It's got us talking about that game, apparently that's a good thing.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

As it happens there was a direct fixture clash and Quins are infact and always have been playing the Heineken Cup fixture
at the Stoop, and TV dictated the date it was played unfortunately

As regards tomorrow night having contacted a few of those I attend matches with I have yet to find anybody impressed with
the fact the fixture has not been postponed. That said we will be there for the team as weve long since lost faith in the decision
makers.

#67 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Sticking with my game plan of tipping the opposition for the win.

It's going to be surreal regfardless it just boils down to which side handles the situation better on the pitch although such a small capacity ground might work for London as 900 at Esher up close and personal may seem more than 1200 rattling round the Stoop.

As so many on TRL have been to or played at Esher maybe the crowd will not be as bad as expected ;)

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 27 March 2013 - 07:56 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#68 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Dusting off my corderoys ready for the walk from the station :D

#69 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Surely if London want to attract more than 2k fans to a game, they should charge less then £20 for a ticket. There are loads of Aussies and Kiwis living here that would go if tickets were more affordable. Better to have 4k fans paying £10 a ticket than 2k fans paying £20
Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Surely if London want to attract more than 2k fans to a game, they should charge less then £20 for a ticket. There are loads of Aussies and Kiwis living here that would go if tickets were more affordable. Better to have 4k fans paying £10 a ticket than 2k fans paying £20

Not true. They have never shown interest. Most are only here to have fun for two years. Most of the Aussies and Kiwis in London earn good wedge temping as well and seem more than happy to spend a fortune at Twickers

It was 15 quid last year with many games on special offers. Hardly any Aussies and Kiwis. They are the wrong primary target market as the club have discovered at their cost (a good reason why crowds are low, after years of trying to attract Aussie/kiwis

#71 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

"As so many on TRL have been to or played at Esher maybe the crowd will not be as bad as expected"

I think that this shows that there is a Rugby League culture in Surrey/London/South East. League does have a past in this region, hopefully a future.

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Catalan, by 2.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Gonna go to this tonight. Looking forward to going on the road and having a few ales.

Good way to start a long lazy weekend!

#74 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

.got man of the match though. She still mentions it twenty years later...............let it go woman.

Why? is that the only time you got man of the match? ;)
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#75 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

RFL Dispensation. and this was never going to be a "house full" game

As probably the only one on here who h\as been to Esher RFC, it's a super little Rugby Club bang on Hersham Station,.limited choice of shops in the area, but good catering in the ground. I confess I have not been to Esher at 8.00pm at night so cannot comment on the floodlights but all being well and the weather fine I look forward to being on the grass bank on the half-way iine.

No you are not. I have also played RL on the pitch to be used for the game ! Have the VHS to prove it <_<
Clubhouse now a decent affair compared with the derelict wreck it was when Surrey Heath played there in early 1990s but the grandstand looks like it has had little done to it since. Lights were not a problem - Surrey Heath used to host a floodlit comp night before CC Final at Wembley.

Edited by BJW, 28 March 2013 - 06:14 PM.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#76 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Capacity is 3,000 (1,200 seated) according to wiki.

Stand is 800 at best & was told 2400 capacity (at least that was what CEO at Esher said when I was there Wednesday !)
My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#77 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

As probably the only one on here who h\as been to Esher RFC

:lol: :lol: :lol: It seems every man and his dog has been to Esher RFC.

rldfsignature.jpg

#78 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

http://www1.skysport...played-at-Esher

I can't take anymore someone put my club out of it's misery.

its so sad but I think your right. I ve spent all week on the nigel wood story defending the need for london in league but how can you when things like this happen. taxi for broncos
Chief Crazy Eagle

#79 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes we need to be flexable for London, but we also should be insisting on maintaining Standards. Playing at Esher in front of at best a couple of thousand is simply making the SL Brand a laughing stock. You cant tell me the ONLY or Best option was Esher RUFC Ground. Right now London seem to be getting worse and worse and I cant see the future being a good one. A number of factors have contributed to this and much of it it self inflicted. But where does the London Broncos go from here? As soon as Hughes goes then its good bye London Broncos.

#80 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Why? is that the only time you got man of the match? ;)

Nope.... Not the only time I got my face smashed in either. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users