Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens - KO 12.15pm

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. St Helens (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Discuss the game here.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Referee: R Silverwood
Touch Judge: C Kendall
Touch Judge: G Stokes
Reserve: J Callaghan
Match Commissioner: D Campbell
Video Referee: P Bentham
Time Keeper: A Mills

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Really looking forward to this. Our backs look good this year, and our forwards seem to have found a way to compensate for a lack of size, so am feeling fairly confident. That said, derbies are strange beasts...

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

We haven't an earthly,

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,888 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hope this turns out to be a good scrap, seeing as it's the curtain raiser to the main event.

The mullering of Widnes might be not such a good thing for the Pies. A good win before a "derby" (pah! :rolleyes: :D ) usually means a defeat against your worst enemy.. Saints will be well up for it so I'm gonna tip them for the spoils.

Wigan 22 Saints 26.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#6 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Looking forward to this. I have been very impressed with Wigan so far and how they have combined as a team; young and inexperienced but very well coached and performing much better than expected in my opinion. Saints will have to match them early on up front and move the ball quickly in order to create the Wigan defence issues. If we play like we did at Warrington, I can see us winning in a tight game. If we don't, I can see Wigan murdering us...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#7 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Really looking forward to this. Our backs look good this year, and our forwards seem to have found a way to compensate for a lack of size, so am feeling fairly confident. That said, derbies are strange beasts...

EW's got a point about Wigan having such a strong system making up for season on season player losses. They have really surprised me this year.

Saints still have some big game performances in them for sure, and history shows us these games can go either way.

I'll go for a pies close win with Brown picking LMS on the wing and Wellens at prop. He could do worse (and did so at Huddersfield).

Edited by Mushy, 26 March 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#8 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

EW's got a point about Wigan having such a strong system making up for season on season player losses. They have really surprised me this year.

It is a system that every club in the league should be looking to emulate. Trust in the players coming through your system and develop them... it takes time to set up but Wigan this year show it is reaping the dividends.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,508 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

It is a system that every club in the league should be looking to emulate. Trust in the players coming through your system and develop them... it takes time to set up but Wigan this year show it is reaping the dividends.

Top post, I'd love warrington to be in wigans position, with loads of talented LOCAL kids.... Shame on us all... IMHO

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Allegedly Saints already have such a system. It's just that we don't seem to convert the process into first team players very well, not least because we seem to hoard antipodeans.

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Allegedly Saints already have such a system. It's just that we don't seem to convert the process into first team players very well, not least because we seem to hoard antipodeans.

Well it is obvious we don't have a similar system. We are able to produce good young players but lack the most important part of the Wigan model and that is the ability to bring those players through into the first team and ensure they develop through good coaching and 'faith' in their abilities to do the business. The likes of Crosby, Thornley, Flower, Farrell, Smith (!) etc are thriving this year on the faith and confidence that Wane and Lenaghan have placed in them. ALL clubs should be looking to emulate this; the game in the UK would improve immensely in my opinion.

#12 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Well it is obvious we don't have a similar system. We are able to produce good young players but lack the most important part of the Wigan model and that is the ability to bring those players through into the first team and ensure they develop through good coaching and 'faith' in their abilities to do the business. The likes of Crosby, Thornley, Flower, Farrell, Smith (!) etc are thriving this year on the faith and confidence that Wane and Lenaghan have placed in them. ALL clubs should be looking to emulate this; the game in the UK would improve immensely in my opinion.

Its persistence, hard work, long term planning, good coaching and solid management through the organisation. A different culture which is the complete flip side to how the club was run just six or seven years ago. A reasonable crop of young players at that time - O'Loughlin and Hock aside, failed to establish themselves long term at Wigan despite flashes of potential due to a over-reliance on ageing stars and quick fix overseas players.

Saints are by no means in the same situation, but there are some parallels with Wigan circa 2003 - 2008 in terms of holding on to players past their prime and persisting with under performing overseas players. Lomax is clearly a star, but it would be also good for the game for Gaskell, Makinson, Percival, Wheeler, Percival, Charnock, Ashe and Walmsley to get more game time when available. Saints can hardly be considered paupers in terms of youth development though having also produced the likes of Roby, Graham, Clough and Jones fairly recently.

#13 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Top post, I'd love warrington to be in wigans position, with loads of talented LOCAL kids.... Shame on us all... IMHO

These things take time - it's been a five year project to far. Warrington have nothing to be ashamed of, they are in a different part of the cycle with a lot of talented but ageing players in a very good team. Youth will have to play a part in the replacement over the next few years and even excluding young imports such as Myler, Hill and Ratchford, Warrington are far better than in the past with the likes of Riley, O'Brien, Harrison, Dwyer, McCarthy, Laithwaite, Evans, Currie, Cooper all having come through the system. They'll all get more game time once the old guard drift away.

Edited by giwildgo, 27 March 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#14 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

These things take time - it's been a five year project to far. Warrington have nothing to be ashamed of, they are in a different part of the cycle with a lot of talented but ageing players in a very good team. Youth will have to play a part in the replacement over the next few years and even excluding young imports such as Myler, Hill and Ratchford, Warrington are far better than in the past with the likes of Riley, O'Brien, Harrison, Dwyer, McCarthy, Laithwaite, Evans, Currie, Cooper all having come through the system. They'll all get more game time once the old guard drift away.

Totally agree, we're in a better position than we ever had, still be nice to see more locals, but that's been discussed to death.

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Seriously thinking of travelling down to Wigan on Friday, can anybody tell me if i can pick up a ticket for the saints end at Wigan club shop/ticket office if I order over the phone or on-line? Also can you sit anywhere in the stand?

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

There are less than 200 tickets left for the home sections of the crowd and I believe less than 2000 remaining overall. I wouldn't risk setting off without a ticket if I was you.

Try the wigan site for more details

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

There are less than 200 tickets left for the home sections of the crowd and I believe less than 2000 remaining overall. I wouldn't risk setting off without a ticket if I was you.

Try the wigan site for more details

Thanks for the link, just read you can order on-line and pick up tickets at ticket office.

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the link, just read you can order on-line and pick up tickets at ticket office.

Yes I've done that myself a few times. There is usually a fair queue at the ticket office so don't leave ticket collection to the last minute. Its pretty good though.

#19 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Wigan by 8.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Wigan squad: Greg Burke, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Rhodri Lloyd, Michael McIlorum, Sean O'Loughlin, Pat Richards, Tom Spencer, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users