Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens - KO 12.15pm

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. St Helens (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Wigan squad: Greg Burke, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Rhodri Lloyd, Michael McIlorum, Sean O'Loughlin, Pat Richards, Tom Spencer, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson.

hrm I thought Luaki might be back for this one. Whilst I don't rate him massively he would have added a bit of size and experience.

I think this might be one match too far for the wigan youngsters with such a lightweight and inexperienced pack. At least O'loughlin is playing. Thats a very young pack.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

hrm I thought Luaki might be back for this one. Whilst I don't rate him massively he would have added a bit of size and experience.

I think this might be one match too far for the wigan youngsters with such a lightweight and inexperienced pack. At least O'loughlin is playing. Thats a very young pack.

Spirit of 2002 (2003?) and all that.

Stevo has already bought the Tissot.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

We can only hope! :)

But if that does happen then I hope we keep a greater percentage of these players than we did those! I guess I'm more confident about that now!

#24 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Well it is obvious we don't have a similar system. We are able to produce good young players but lack the most important part of the Wigan model and that is the ability to bring those players through into the first team and ensure they develop through good coaching and 'faith' in their abilities to do the business.

Well, that's what I said! ;) But just because either our recruitment to the first team is wrong (the Board?) or our coaches aren't good enough to incorporate the youth into the first team doesn't mean our youth development system is wrong. It means the club's attitude to the first team is wrong.

#25 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Well, that's what I said! ;) But just because either our recruitment to the first team is wrong (the Board?) or our coaches aren't good enough to incorporate the youth into the first team doesn't mean our youth development system is wrong. It means the club's attitude to the first team is wrong.

Do you think Brown is going to help improve this? I haven't seen Saints enough this year to know.

I know when Lenegan took Maguire on, his remit was to bring Wigan youth through, I would hope Macmanus (not sure on spelling sorry) might have done the same.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

St Helens squad: Paul Wellens, Ade Gardner, Jordan Turner, Sia Soliola, Francis Meli, Josh Perry, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Jon Wilkin, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Flanagan, Paul Clough, Josh Jones, Tom Makinson, Nathan Ashe, Alex Walmsley, Anthony Walker, Mark Percival, Lewis Charnock.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Do you think Brown is going to help improve this? I haven't seen Saints enough this year to know.

No more or less than any other coach has done. For example, Simmons did heaps for our youth development because we were hit by a major injury crisis and so played all our under 20s at some point (against Hudds away we had more under 20s in the starting 17 than senior players). But had we not had those injuries it is likely that Saints would have played the same bunch of senior players over and over again just as we did in fact when Mike Rush was in temporary charge last season, and Mike Rush is the person who set up the youth development system at Saints in the first place! Now we have another set of injuries, to key players again, and so our young players are getting a chance to have a go but if we hadn't had those injuries I doubt very much those young players would have been played. Saints don't appear to believe in phasing in young players; they just throw them in when injuries arise, which is a very out of date approach IMO and does us no good in the long term.

#28 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well hopefully that will change Saintslass, maybe MacManus would be willing to encourage a coach to do that (whilst still allowing them a free hand on team selection obviously). The more clubs realise that a year or two's more patience can generate a superleague standard player (and maybe a few higher) the better. Take Goulding for us, how many Wiganers though he wasn't good enough 2 or 3 years ago. Whilst he'll never be Renouf, Miles or even Carmont he's certainly a decent player. (Sorry I know I'm preaching to the choir I've just seen too many juniors get away from our system and for the good of the game hate it happening anywhere)

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Wigan, by 14.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I cannot comment in detail on Saints' system, but what Wigan did was instigate a consistent approach to training and playing across the teams a fair few years ago, and this means that it is much easier for players to slot in. Another point worth making is that we are not giving debuts to that many young players at the same time. We have drip fed them into the team. You could even argue we have held back a player like Burke whom many thought was ready last year. He is certainly ready now. Finally, we have adapted our style of play to negate the size issue somewhat. Fast ptbs rather than ground gained when we have the ball, and using the kicking game to ensure so far as possible the opposition is starting their stes much further downfield than in the last 10 years.
Did I miss Lomax's name, or is Brown playing a joke?

#31 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Stuart Howarth has arrived at Saints on loan from Salford (with Gaskell going the other way) and will apparently be in the squad for tomorrow's game. This seems like a rather strange development.

Edited by MrFussy, 28 March 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#32 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Stuart Howarth has arrived at Saints on loan from Salford (with Gaskell going the other way) and will apparently be in the squad for tomorrow's game. This seems like a rather strange development.

With Roby out for a few months and Hohia also still injured its a good move to bring in another hooker with 1st team experience.
Saints wont miss Gaskell

#33 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Is Howarth a hooker? He played 13 at Wigan.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Might as well have signed Stevo.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

With Roby out for a few months and Hohia also still injured its a good move to bring in another hooker with 1st team experience.
Saints wont miss Gaskell

Saints are already missing Gaskell. You might have noticed that we don't actually have a 6 for our derby game against Wigan.

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Is Howarth a hooker? He played 13 at Wigan.

I guess we will find out on Friday. Lucky us.

#37 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Saints wont miss Gaskell

But are we really so short of cover that we need to bring in a player who seems to have struggled to get a game at Salford this year? It would've been nice if one of the guys in our system could've stepped up. Without wanting to be disrespectful this feels like a pretty underwhelming signing.

Admittedly I know very little about him so perhaps someone who's seen him play regularly could offer a more informed opinion?

Edited by MrFussy, 28 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#38 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Howarth is a good player and a good man. He is super fit and committed, and an "intelligent" player. What he lacks is size and speed. Without meaning to be critical, in Flannagan and Wilkin Saints already have enough "versatile" clever players of his ilk.

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

What he lacks is size and speed.

Should fit into Saints' squad straight away then! :)

#40 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Just read on Twitter that Saints have named Wellens and Wilkin at 6 and 7. :o

Not sure if it's true yet though, But with Brown coaching, you never know.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users