Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens - KO 12.15pm

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. St Helens (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Despite being sceptical about his signing, I thought Stuart Howarth was pretty impressive, especially considering that he got thrown straight in. Walmsley was just terrific today.

We improved enormously whenever Walmsley was playing. He was a proper prop. He did all that a prop should do and did it so well. Contrast that with LMS who was dire and a liability throughout.

#82 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

One of the sloppiest and rather low-ebb derbies seen for a while.

Jon Wells, stop shouting.

Hear Hear couldnt watch it for 80 listening to Eddie and Stevo carrying on about the intensity thought it was a bit of a borefest TBH

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Oh I was entertained by it, but I wasn't gripped by it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

We improved enormously whenever Walmsley was playing. He was a proper prop. He did all that a prop should do and did it so well. Contrast that with LMS who was dire and a liability throughout.

Agree completely, Walmsley ran with real determination and aggression and was able to make inroads. LMS on the other hand was obviously more interested in messing around and with his constant holding on it almost seemed as though he was trying to goad the referee into putting him in the sin bin. I have no idea what he thought he was doing, I can only think he was trying to agitate the Wigan players to the extent that they'd do something silly.

#85 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

You could be forgiven for thinking only Saints are missing some players, listening to the two clowns on Sky. Wigan had just as many first choice players out, but that was hardly mentioned. And people accuse Clark of being one eyed <_<

What does LMS have to do to get sin binned. Three possible sin binning offences on the trot and nothing.

When you look at the young players playing across the park the future doesn't look too bad for either club.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#86 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

At 18-0 down at half-time, I was expecting Wigan to romp it. They were much quicker, especially breaking the Saints' defence in the middle of the field. That we held our own in the second period was damage limitation. For a second season, the match sold out.

#87 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

You could be forgiven for thinking only Saints are missing some players, listening to the two clowns on Sky. Wigan had just as many first choice players out, but that was hardly mentioned. And people accuse Clark of being one eyed <_<

What does LMS have to do to get sin binned. Three possible sin binning offences on the trot and nothing.

When you look at the young players playing across the park the future doesn't look too bad for either club.

I'm guessing he was allowed to get away with it to level things up after Smith stayed on despite committing as blatant a professional foul as you'll ever see. There's no doubt that both players should have got 10 minutes though. LMS was taking the micky.

#88 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Although Smith was definitely off side, I'm not convinced what he did was in any way deliberate, of more specifically pre-meditated. It looked to me just like an automatic reaction.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#89 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

That went well. Credit to Saints who have some talented players and have it a go throughout. Thought Charnley was mom, though special mention to Smith. It will be interesting to see who are pack will be once or if we get everyone fit.

#90 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Oh I was entertained by it, but I wasn't gripped by it.

Kind of how I felt about last night.

Didn't think it was a bad game today - Wigan played some good stuff, but with a few too many errors. As excellent as Walmsley looked for Saints, I thought he was the third best prop on the field behind Crosby and Taylor.

Smith was also immense for Wigan, I was sceptical about his quality when he signed, but over the last few games he's looked like the most complete scrum half we've had in a while.

#91 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Kind of how I felt about last night.

You should've watched Leeds v Bradford instead. :o :D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#92 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

That went well. Credit to Saints who have some talented players and have it a go throughout. Thought Charnley was mom, though special mention to Smith. It will be interesting to see who are pack will be once or if we get everyone fit.

On form Prescott, Mossop, Lauaki and Hansen should struggle to shift Flower, Crosby, Taylor, Burke, Hughes or Tuson with Farrell and Lockers pretty untouchable. The injury issues we've had in the forwards have created a selection problem, but its a nice problem to have.

#93 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

You should've watched Leeds v Bradford instead. :o :D

Ha ha. As good as last night was. The quality of attacking play and creativity of both sides was at least a level lower than Wigan's.

#94 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

We lost three during the match to add to the four we had missing - all in pivot positions, unlike Wigan who just had forwards missing (but not your hooker). Did you want us to field our under 20s? So yes, our losses were greater than Wigan's.

#95 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I don't really understand the points about Saints having no 1 6 and 7. Wilkins is your coach's choice of 7, who chose to let a 6 leave the club and pick your 1 at 6. Blame Brown.

#96 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,424 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

I don't really understand the points about Saints having no 1 6 and 7. Wilkins is your coach's choice of 7, who chose to let a 6 leave the club and pick your 1 at 6. Blame Brown.

This.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#97 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Sam Tomkins is the player I most love to watch in Super League, but I didn't enjoy watching aspects of his performance today - the goading of Makinson after the latter had made a mistake (which Phil Clarke, to his credit, made mention of in the commentary), hurling the ball away in frustration and, worst of all, humiliating Ben Flower in such public fashion after a mix-up in which he must have played an equal part...

Tomkins looks to be playing injured (as did the admirable O'Loughlin today) and has yet to capture the heights of which he is capable, but if this is to be his last season in the game then I hope he's intent on leaving us with some better memories.

#98 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Sam Tomkins is the player I most love to watch in Super League, but I didn't enjoy watching aspects of his performance today - the goading of Makinson after the latter had made a mistake (which Phil Clarke, to his credit, made mention of in the commentary), hurling the ball away in frustration and, worst of all, humiliating Ben Flower in such public fashion after a mix-up in which he must have played an equal part...

Agreed......acted like a proper trumpet......for a change

#99 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Burn him! If only Trakl could compile a list of every offence against humanity committed by Sam. He'd have lasted 5 minutes when we could call upon proper Withchfinders.
If I see a full game in which no player comments to an opposition player when they makes a mistake, throws the ball away in anger on 2 occasions after being denied what would have been tries on other days, or berates one of his colleagues for making an error, I will give 1000 pounds to Joining Jack.

#100 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have no answer to the standoff situation, Gary Wheeler is perhaps the only natural fit for that role left in the squad. In Wilkin's case I very much doubt that he's Brown's choice of scrum half based on anything other than that he's the best solution (stopgap) currently available to try and remedy this rather bad problem. There's nothing to be gained by blaming Brown or anyone else now, everyone seems to have identified the need for recruitment here and hopefully the club will look to address this asap.

Please don't take this as an excuse for the result today though, you were the better team across the park and thoroughly deserved the win. Well done.