League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens - KO 12.15pm

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. St Helens (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Burn him! If only Trakl could compile a list of every offence against humanity committed by Sam. He'd have lasted 5 minutes when we could call upon proper Withchfinders.
If I see a full game in which no player comments to an opposition player when they makes a mistake, throws the ball away in anger on 2 occasions after being denied what would have been tries on other days, or berates one of his colleagues for making an error, I will give 1000 pounds to Joining Jack.

No need for that.

You need to stop being so defensive of Tomkins, all RL fans must love to see him perform like he can because he's such a gifted player, but surely most Wigan fans will agree there's a side to his game, i.e. petulance, that needs addressing.

And your last comment about giving a thousand pounds to such a worthy charity as "Joining Jack", when you're fairly certain you won't have to, is absolutely out of order.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#102 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sam is a relatively senior member of the team now. Junior players need his example, his experience and his reassurance.....if you're new/young and you make a mistake, all you should hear is "chin up lad, never mind"........they do not need him calling them a dickhead or whatever just because they happened to be in the way when he ran backwards.....

#103 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Sam Tomkins is the player I most love to watch in Super League, but I didn't enjoy watching aspects of his performance today - the goading of Makinson after the latter had made a mistake (which Phil Clarke, to his credit, made mention of in the commentary), hurling the ball away in frustration and, worst of all, humiliating Ben Flower in such public fashion after a mix-up in which he must have played an equal part...

Tomkins looks to be playing injured (as did the admirable O'Loughlin today) and has yet to capture the heights of which he is capable, but if this is to be his last season in the game then I hope he's intent on leaving us with some better memories.

I hate seeing this from anybody, it's just classless. Jason Hooper used to do it fairly regularly, I seem to remember a young Bradford player taking half a swing at him for it and good enough for him.

#104 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Burn him! If only Trakl could compile a list of every offence against humanity committed by Sam. He'd have lasted 5 minutes when we could call upon proper Withchfinders.
If I see a full game in which no player comments to an opposition player when they makes a mistake, throws the ball away in anger on 2 occasions after being denied what would have been tries on other days, or berates one of his colleagues for making an error, I will give 1000 pounds to Joining Jack.

"Burn him!... offence against humanity... Witchfinders..." is language somewhat more febrile than the one I used to express my disappointment with Tomkins today. I didn't like the exchange with Flower at all - it repelled me- partly because I'm not sure that the "error" belonged only to the Welshman and partly because it's just ugly to berate a team mate so ostentatiously in what we are often told is the ultimate team sport.

That's my sincerely expressed opinion about a player I have always professed to be my favourite among our competition. What's curious is that you write as if I have a record on this forum of singling out Tomkins for unfair criticism - I'd be happy for you to remind me and others of all those other occasions when this has happened?

Your reference to making a contribution to Joining Jack is not something I should comment upon...

#105 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I don't really understand the points about Saints having no 1 6 and 7. Wilkins is your coach's choice of 7, who chose to let a 6 leave the club and pick your 1 at 6. Blame Brown.

It's Wilkin. Without an 's'. And I do blame Brown.

#106 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Your reference to making a contribution to Joining Jack is not something I should comment upon...

Indeed.

However, EW is one of the more rational posters on here so perhaps, like me, his head was on fire when posting this afternoon.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#107 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Although Smith was definitely off side, I'm not convinced what he did was in any way deliberate, of more specifically pre-meditated. It looked to me just like an automatic reaction.

but definitely stopped a try

#108 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Although Smith was definitely off side, I'm not convinced what he did was in any way deliberate, of more specifically pre-meditated. It looked to me just like an automatic reaction.

It was clearly deliberate. He didn't kick it immediately - he knew he was offside, once he realised that Saints were approaching he kicked it.

#109 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

I didn't think you could be offside in the in goal area. Both Tomkins and Flower should have charged forward and jumped on the ball. Poor play.

#110 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I didn't think you could be offside in the in goal area. Both Tomkins and Flower should have charged forward and jumped on the ball. Poor play.

You can't, but Smith was in the field of play.

#111 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Perhaps if Tomkins had been more concerned about where the ball was and less about shouting at Flower then they would have :lol:

Even if they had it would've been a Saints ball anyway so it made little difference in the end. Nevertheless it goes to show how these moments of petulance could potentially be costly...

All players, even those as gifted as Sam, have areas they can improve in and like it or not this remains one for him.

#112 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

i agree tomkins was out of order chances are if flowers isn't behind him tomkins ends up over the dead ball line, tomkins head is not right i think he is halfway to sarries.
also well said john wells, how could they give that try when they had just shown it didn't touch the ground? :wacko:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#113 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

You can't be but Smith wasn't in the in goal

#114 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have no answer to the standoff situation, Gary Wheeler is perhaps the only natural fit for that role left in the squad.

Wasn't he the first of the senior squad to have a serious injury this year?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#115 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes. He ususally is.

#116 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Indeed, you have to wonder about his long term prospects given all the bad injuries he's sustained already, he can't seem to go more than a handful of games before something serious happens.

Isn't he off contract this year? I thought he'd probably be released but given that he's the only half we have left I'm not so sure now. The only really outstanding performance I can remember from him was the first half an hour of the Good Friday derby in 2011, until the seemingly inevitable happened.

His kicking game and organisational skills are both lacking too from what I've seen, he's more of an instinctive player with a good step and running game. Obviously that style can bring a lot of threat to the team and is absolutely fine as long as your halves partner is proficient enough in the other aspects to allow you to play like this, but there lies the problem.

Regardless, he has to be a better option at standoff than either Wellens or (probably) Hohaia, not so sure whether he's a better prospect than Gaskell though.

#117 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Regardless, he has to be a better option at standoff than either Wellens or (probably) Hohaia, not so sure whether he's a better prospect than Gaskell though.

But I thought he was injured, hence asking. He would be a better option, but if he can't play there isn't the option, hence the situation now.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#118 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

But I thought he was injured, hence asking. He would be a better option, but if he can't play there isn't the option, hence the situation now.

Yep very true, at present the option isn't there :(

#119 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Sorry if this has been already said but I wonder if the fair call for the Smith kick would have been a penalty try. After all it was a deliberate offence that prevented a try to be scored ( if I recall well, a Saints' player was about to reach the ball when Smith kicked it out of the field ). I assume League rules are not that different from Union in this regard.

#120 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

A penalty try and ten mins in the bin would have been the call for me. Doubt anyone could have much of an argument against that.

(And then again... :rolleyes: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users