Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Warrington Wolves - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. Voted Warrington Wolves (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. Draw (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Can't be many who saw this coming....

Loads of us did.

We just kept quiet about it. <_<
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#62 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

if you're going to highlight missing players then its probably best to do it both ways.

There were players missing from all 6 teams ive seen on tv so far this weekend.

Why? He's a Widnes fan commenting that we've just scored a great victory against most peoples' favourites for the title whilst missing our captain and star half back, our best forward and our two first choice centres from an already shallow squad. It struck me as a comment on the actual players missing rather than the fact we have injuries, and for what it's worth wires' absentees were important players too, particularly M. Monaghan and Briers.

James Child deserves a comment or two today, thought he missed a couple of forward passes, from both sides and pulled Wire for a vital one when Hill (who was pretty impressive) went clear through, I didn't see it to comment either way but apart from that he was anonymous and really let the game flow, keeping his whistle quiet for borderline calls. In previous games I've seen him ref he has pulled up lots of little infringements where no advantage was gained or lost and in the process ruined the game, wonder whether this is anything to do with the new leadership of the referees?

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

well what can i say, possibly the biggest upset for many a year in super league, for me jon clarke was ansolutely brilliant and led from the front, gaz hock was at his sublime best but wire were good as well. a great game of rugby and just like the derbies of old.......WTID

Edited by Viking Warrior, 29 March 2013 - 09:58 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Loads of us did.

We just kept quiet about it. <_<

Pleased you had a good day...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Funny how Bulldog Burt is the only one to mention James Child so far after the victory. :rolleyes:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'm glad DaveT managed to get to the game and he even lent them his car for the half-time entertainment too. ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#67 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Funny how Bulldog Burt is the only one to mention James Child so far after the victory. :rolleyes:

There have been plenty that I have spoke to.

Don't get me wrong he got a fair bit wrong, there are a couple of big incidents that I'd like to see again, including a crucial Widnes try.

However, he seemed to be determined to let the game flow and to give as few penalties as possible. This was in complete contrast to his reffing of the Widnes-Saints game. If he's learnt his lesson then fair play to him. Like Burt, I suspect that Cummings replacement might be trying to move away from games with 25+ penalties.

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Why? He's a Widnes fan commenting that we've just scored a great victory against most peoples' favourites for the title whilst missing our captain and star half back, our best forward and our two first choice centres from an already shallow squad. It struck me as a comment on the actual players missing rather than the fact we have injuries, and for what it's worth wires' absentees were important players too, particularly M. Monaghan and Briers.

your last line is sort of my point.

We missed Hodgson, Bridge, Briers, Morley and M Monaghan - which makes any point about missing Widnes players at least balanced.

#69 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'm glad DaveT managed to get to the game and he even lent them his car for the half-time entertainment too. ;)

huh???

#70 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

huh???

I saw something about people having to grubber kick a ball into a Bentley convertible.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I saw something about people having to grubber kick a ball into a Bentley convertible.

aah, I wish mate!!!

Although Im rather pleased I couldnt make it down to Widnes, but I did spend the afternoon watching Rugby with probably the only Widnes fan in Edinburgh. ######.

Edited by Dave T, 29 March 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#72 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Lol

#73 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

As Brian Carney said we've got bragging rights on the Wirral tonight....

Huh???

#74 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Geography not carney's strong point

#75 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Have to hold my hands up and say well done widnes. Warrington were poor,no on field leader,no structured attack and some shocking defensive frailties! Widnes were more "up for it" and jon clarke was superb and kept kicking wire back down to their own try line,where we made error after error and put ourselves under pressure. How many times did Ratchford knock on in the first half? Truly woeful Warrington,make a habit of performances like that and we'll worryno one this season!
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#76 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Just back from Berlin - almost choked on my bratwurst when I saw the score on Friday. Well done Widnes.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#77 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

it was a good game browny, we were missing some important players but wire were too. i still think wire will be champions this season as they have the best squad in super league.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#78 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

it was a good game browny, we were missing some important players but wire were too. i still think wire will be champions this season as they have the best squad in super league.

depends if we can get them on the park playing together!

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

great ball from Hock in that first try