Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Boat Race

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: The Boat Race (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think will win?

1. Oxford (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

2. Cambridge (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Dead Heat / Draw (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. Couldn't Care Less (33 votes [89.19%])

Percentage of vote: 89.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Who do you want to win the 2013 BR?

Edited by Bleep1673, 26 March 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

As long as the dark blue rabble sink like a stone, I have no particular preference. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Never really took any interest.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

To be honest, I actually quite enjoy it.

Compared to an international regatta on a still lake, where the boats stay in lanes and go in a straight line, this is a twisting course against the current and without lanes, which adds another tactical dimension.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,438 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I once worked at Oxford. The percentage of arrogant stuck up students was way too high. Trouble is, Cambridge will be no different.

Seems to me that:
- Both places hire rowing mercenaries by offering them dubious-value degree courses.
- The non-mercenaries will almost certainly have learnt the sport at top public schools.
- If it's so important how come the average sports fan in the street can't tell you who won last year.
- It's an anachronistic exercise in watching commoners touching their collective forelock towards the upper classes.

Still, at least it generates tourist income.

I think rowing must be a fantastic sport to take part in or to watch, but this is one race I definitely won't be watching.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Cashier number 4, please.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Drunken posh totty shouting at boats. What's not to love?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,862 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

I once worked at Oxford. The percentage of arrogant stuck up students was way too high. Trouble is, Cambridge will be no different.

Seems to me that:
- Both places hire rowing mercenaries by offering them dubious-value degree courses.
- The non-mercenaries will almost certainly have learnt the sport at top public schools.
- If it's so important how come the average sports fan in the street can't tell you who won last year.
- It's an anachronistic exercise in watching commoners touching their collective forelock towards the upper classes.

Still, at least it generates tourist income.

I think rowing must be a fantastic sport to take part in or to watch, but this is one race I definitely won't be watching.

That's quite an interesting response. It's not that you're not interested, but that you're actively antagonistic to the event.

I find it interesting because a lot of people, in my experience, are actively antagonistic to Rugby League, obviously for different reasons.

The problem in our case is that a lot of the antagonism to our sport is found in people in influential positions.

#9 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Drunken posh totty shouting at boats. What's not to love?

All of that sentence? Maybe it's just me, but I get irritated by 'posh' women (and posh men for that matter). The boat race is one of those things that annoys me intensely, probably for no good reason. I would, however, watch the BBC coverage if someone threw John Inverdale into the Thames.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Wheres a u boat wolfpack when you need it.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

All of that sentence? Maybe it's just me, but I get irritated by 'posh' women (and posh men for that matter). The boat race is one of those things that annoys me intensely, probably for no good reason. I would, however, watch the BBC coverage if someone threw John Inverdale into the Thames.

This.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

No interest in it. Like others, I have a massive chip on my shoulder about the privileged upper class.
Fides invicta triumphat

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yes...but isn't that the braying hangers on?. Most of the rowers seem to be pros from the US.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm ... I think we can all agree that the BBC's coverage of anything would be vastly improved by the throwing of John Inverdale into the Thames.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hmmm ... I think we can all agree that the BBC's coverage of anything would be vastly improved by the throwing of John Inverdale into the Thames.

Isn't it traditional to do that to the cox ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

It's not the throwing in that's important, it's the holding under.

#17 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

No interest in it. Like others, I have a massive chip on my shoulder about the privileged upper class.

Of course, and as you well know, not everyone at Oxford is a member of the privileged upper class.

The Boat Race was a nice excuse to get drunk when I was an undergrad, but not fussed now. Can't recall who won it last year, and doubt I'll be watching it this year.

One thing I've always found odd is why people with no connection to either Uni support one side or the other? I can see the human drama of the event - it's bloody tough stuff, and those boys genuinely train hard for it and sacrifice a lot - but actively supporting one boat seems very odd to me.

That's me.  I'm done.

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Most of the rowers seem to be pros from the US.

not the totty then?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#19 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

think there should be a third one just to mix it up a bit. Or get Top gear to make one of the boats out of an Austin Allegro.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#20 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Of course, and as you well know, not everyone at Oxford is a member of the privileged upper class.

In 2010 Oxford had 11.5% of its intake coming from working-class families. Cambridge had 12.6%. The figures have barely changed since.

So no, not everyone, but a significant majority come from the privileged classes.

I'm with Sev on this one.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde