League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Boat Race

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: The Boat Race (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think will win?

1. Oxford (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

2. Cambridge (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Dead Heat / Draw (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. Couldn't Care Less (33 votes [89.19%])

Percentage of vote: 89.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

This is one of those sporting events that I couldn't care less about, along with Grand National, Wimbledon (and other tennis tourneys), any golf tourneys, swimming, darts, snooker and the list goes on.

Edited by metallithrax, 31 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#62 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

They knew exactly who my mates were and still treated them like pondlife. Plus, they relied on the townie staff to publicise the event and encourage townie girls to come along in the first place. It wasn't a case of us 'getting in their way'; they feared they couldn't handle the competition or comparison.

As recall, the organisers numbered about ten with maybe 6 chins between them.

Nice last comment. You think you might be as bad as them?

That's me.  I'm done.

#63 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I do agree with your point though: there's a kind of reverse snobbery going on here. IMHO to judge people on the basis of their social background is offside.

Sadly, as a working class Oxford graduate, reverse snobbery is something I'm very familiar with.

That's me.  I'm done.

#64 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Someone having a pop at the boat race asked yesterday why on earth would you name your son Constantine

I replied, someone who likes the film? I'm no snob, but I'd rather meet a Constantine than a few chavs & scroats. We could do with a few Constantines watching RL instead of those that throw coffee,chase cars, hurl abuse at wives, light flares....

I didn't watch yesterday but have many times in the past. As a youngster watching Grandstand it was the 'normal' thing to do with the family, as will be the Grand National next week. I say each to their own and don't get hung up about it. Better people enjoying themselves than lots of other depressing news.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#65 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

nice spread guys
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users