Good Friday derbies

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

As a break from talking about the Salary Cap and the business side of the game, let's have a look at how ticket sales are going for Good Friday's derbies.

I saw that Hull had sold 15k tickets with a week to go.

Wigan have said they have fewer than 2k tickets left in their pile, Saints have limited tickets in their stand.

Warrington are looking like selling their end out at Widnes and now have tickets in another stand. Not heard anything from Widnes.

Leeds have said ticket sales are strong and are expecting a bumper crowd.

Looking like some healthy crowds and hopefully some good tv games to show that maybe the game aint doing that badly after all!

#2 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

As a break from talking about the Salary Cap and the business side of the game, let's have a look at how ticket sales are going for Good Friday's derbies.

I saw that Hull had sold 15k tickets with a week to go.

Wigan have said they have fewer than 2k tickets left in their pile, Saints have limited tickets in their stand.

Warrington are looking like selling their end out at Widnes and now have tickets in another stand. Not heard anything from Widnes.

Leeds have said ticket sales are strong and are expecting a bumper crowd.

Looking like some healthy crowds and hopefully some good tv games to show that maybe the game aint doing that badly after all!

Unfortunately the Wigan game will have killed any optimism for the derby. Whilst I suspect we'll go OK I think we'll end up with a sub 8k crowd. The Saints-Wigan derby is looking good although I don't think the Hull figure is anything to shout about.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I don't think the Hull figure is anything to shout about.

It's not really surprising given the very poor form both teams have shown in most matches. I imagine it'll end up around 17k, sadly.

Still, there will be plenty of passion and noise, both teams will really want to win, or perhaps I should have put "both sets of supporters will really want their team to win". :(

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Looking at the Wigan website as was thinking of going and there can't be more than 250 tickets left in the 2 main touchline stands for Wigan v Saints.

#5 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Unfortunately the Wigan game will have killed any optimism for the derby. Whilst I suspect we'll go OK I think we'll end up with a sub 8k crowd. The Saints-Wigan derby is looking good although I don't think the Hull figure is anything to shout about.

Around 17k for a city that has announced nearly 3000 people being made redundant in the past year is something to shout about I would say.

#6 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

The London-Catalans game might be close to a sell out now they've moved venues!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

It's not really surprising given the very poor form both teams have shown in most matches. I imagine it'll end up around 17k, sadly.

Still, there will be plenty of passion and noise, both teams will really want to win, or perhaps I should have put "both sets of supporters will really want their team to win". :(

Bearing in mind they had sold 15k last week do you not think they could be pushing for 20k?

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Last year's crowds for these games (naturally these weren't the Easter games which often inflates the gate):

Wigan v Saints - 21,522
Hull v Hull KR - 18,979
Widnes v Wire - 8,617
London v Catalan - 1,829
Leeds v Bradford - 18,520
Cas v Wakefield - 7,050
Salford v Hudds - 5,324

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Around 17k for a city that has announced nearly 3000 people being made redundant in the past year is something to shout about I would say.

Have you missed a zero off that? I'm sure it must be loads more.
People called Romans they go the house

#10 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

The London-Catalans game might be close to a sell out now they've moved venues!!

:lol:

#11 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

The weather could actually work in favour of larger crowds.If people decide to stay at home for the weekend,they may be tempted to go to a match.

#12 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

less than 200 in the wigan end
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

less than 200 in the wigan end

Doesn't that pretty much guarantee 19.5k? Surely Saints will take around 3.5k so maybe even a sellout could be on the cards?

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Bearing in mind they had sold 15k last week do you not think they could be pushing for 20k?

They could but I rather doubt that they'll get near it. Two or three hundred short of 18k is my guess.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#15 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Have you missed a zero off that? I'm sure it must be loads more.

No its correct redundancy and the fact there are 85 people chasing every one job in Hull is going to hit attendances , I know as of 16 years service to my company I will on the 31st of this month be one of them.

Edited by westhuller, 27 March 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

They could but I rather doubt that they'll get near it. Two or three hundred short of 18k is my guess.

Surprising. The 'biggest derby' argument is just about the only one that still exercises fans of both 'Ull and Rervers.

Edited by Just Browny, 27 March 2013 - 11:14 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Last year's crowds for these games (naturally these weren't the Easter games which often inflates the gate):

Hull v Hull KR - 18,979
London v Catalan - 1,829

Just to be clear, those were Easter games. London always host at Easter so Sky can show the Catalans at home on the Monday, and the two home Hull derbies were switched around as Hull KR could not host the Good Friday match due to building work at Craven Park.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Just to be clear, those were Easter games. London always host at Easter so Sky can show the Catalans at home on the Monday, and the two home Hull derbies were switched around as Hull KR could not host the Good Friday match due to building work at Craven Park.

Yep - cheers, hadn't noticed about the Hull game.

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Surprising. The 'biggest derby' argument is just about the only one that still exercises fans of both 'Ull and Rervers.

I think this has been pointed. out before. Hull v Rovers arguments sometimes bring out the worst mentality in the participants but anybody criticise Hull from outside and we're suddenly united.

(But most definitely not City)

Edited by Old Frightful, 27 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#20 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

There may be a late surge towards the 20k mark at the KC as the Upper West Tier is to be opened, tickets are £15 adults, £12 concessions and £5 kids.

http://www.hullfc.co...y-for-the-derby

Bargain that if you're a Rovers fan, a fiver!

(I await JB's snide remarks after he's read the link.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users