Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League Survey

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

All mums are great! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#42 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hi guys, just as a sidenote would it be possible for any of you to complete this quick survey. Its for my dissertation and will literally take around 1 minute. Greatly apprecited. https://qtrial.qualt...4I6NRlzLlceLvox

Done... doing my dissertation on Photovoltaics, so know a bit about renewable energies.

Cummins Out.

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

You've clearly not met my wife's mum!

#44 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Survey now closed, data has been collected.

I need to spend some time analysing the data.

This has to come second though, to the photos I had taken at the Featherstone Vs Swinton game.

All the data has been exported into a Google Doc for you all to see the final data.

Btw CW - Lovely speaking to you today.

Cheers
Chris
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Survey now closed, data has been collected.

I need to spend some time analysing the data.

This has to come second though, to the photos I had taken at the Featherstone Vs Swinton game.

All the data has been exported into a Google Doc for you all to see the final data.

Btw CW - Lovely speaking to you today.

Cheers
Chris

always a pleasure Chris and I'll always remmber your help, support and professionalism when I worked for Rovers
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#46 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

The data is now available online, please see the results here:

www.lifestyleuncut.com/sport/survey-results-what-does-the-future-hold-for-rugby-league.html

Edited by Chris Taylor, 05 April 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#47 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

some staggering results there chris! Absolutely staggering..

#48 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

The data is now available online, please see the results here:

www.lifestyleuncut.com/sport/survey-results-what-does-the-future-hold-for-rugby-league.html

Hey Chris, I'm not disagreeing with the results as such, I think it's clear either way that fans would like a return to P&R and do away with licensing.

However, I'm interested to hear how the poll was conducted and where it was advertised. If it was voluntary do you accept there could be an over-representation of fans upset with the status quo as these are more likely to spend the time and effort voicing their opinions? I would compare it to online polls where people make the time and effort purposely to try and imply that their opinion is the predominant one. We often see a drumming up on RL forums whenever RL features in a poll of a national newspaper or website. I'm not suggesting that this has happened but there could be an element of over-representation of one group.

Even taking this into account there were some surprising results. I think the World Cup answer was especially interesting as this is less affected by the concern I stated above. I'm often criticised for expressing concern about the World Cup and being apprehensive about it and I'm usually pretty isolated leading to me not mentioning it so often. I was shocked to see almost half think it will not be a success.

I also found it quite encouraging that 57% of people voting actually think the game is doing OK and only 11% think it's abysmal. For RL fans this is quite astounding.

#49 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the response, I appreciate that you've taken a look at the data.

In all honesty, I published the post on the main two RL forums (here and RLF) then it naturally went around other clubs.

I do believe the results are not fair to an extent, as to get the fulll analysis, you would have to question each and every fan at all clubs from the top to the grass roots of the game. This is something i mentioned in the conclusion.

Agree about the World Cup data, I would have imagined at lest 65% of people thinking it will be successful.

With the state of the game, I wanted to release the data as something positive and I believe we can be encouraged by that. As stated in the post, how do we compare against other governing bodys?

I hope it helps people discuss things better.

Chris

#50 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Even taking this into account there were some surprising results. I think the World Cup answer was especially interesting as this is less affected by the concern I stated above. I'm often criticised for expressing concern about the World Cup and being apprehensive about it and I'm usually pretty isolated leading to me not mentioning it so often. I was shocked to see almost half think it will not be a success.

I also found it quite encouraging that 57% of people voting actually think the game is doing OK and only 11% think it's abysmal. For RL fans this is quite astounding.

good observations and more or less how I viewed the stats. Notwithstanding that it's not a scientific study and that there is a +/- tolerance on respondents, the views on licencing and P+R are fairly staggering.

D+R is a different issue and isn't as influenced by the repeated champ v SL issues on here. As it is I think DR can be as damaging to the SL clubs as it is to the championship... and again almost 4/5 respondents suggested similar.

The world cup question again is interesting with about half split as to whether it will be a success or not.... and like you I tend to keep my head down on that topic. Repeated negative posts do get one lumped with the 'doom monger' tag!

The state of the game question again is interesting. Given the overwhelming representation of the first three question I would have expected a more lop-sided response to the satisfaction question. However, over half suggested ave-excellent...

An interesting survey.

#51 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I have always loved how people read survey stats and see things in different ways. I suppose it's a glass half full/empty attitude but the state of the game question can also read....

78% do not believe the game is in a good state and less than 2% think the RFL is doing a excellent job.

everything is subjective though.

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#52 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

78% do not believe the game is in a good state and less than 2% think the RFL is doing a excellent job.

Sure is. Stats can be played about with to make a representation.
You can't hide the fact that almost all of the respondents to this survey failed to suggest the state of the game is excellent.
But taken in perpective with the survey as a whole there is a more positive slant to the responses to this question.

Edited by Robin Evans, 05 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the response, I appreciate that you've taken a look at the data.

In all honesty, I published the post on the main two RL forums (here and RLF) then it naturally went around other clubs.

I do believe the results are not fair to an extent, as to get the fulll analysis, you would have to question each and every fan at all clubs from the top to the grass roots of the game. This is something i mentioned in the conclusion.

Agree about the World Cup data, I would have imagined at lest 65% of people thinking it will be successful.

With the state of the game, I wanted to release the data as something positive and I believe we can be encouraged by that. As stated in the post, how do we compare against other governing bodys?

I hope it helps people discuss things better.

Chris

thanks Chris, that was interesting, and I'm sure you had fun doing it.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#54 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

interesting, if you do a follow up one at some later date maybe you could get the respondents to state if their primary club is SL or not. Be interested to see the differences

#55 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have always loved how people read survey stats and see things in different ways. I suppose it's a glass half full/empty attitude but the state of the game question can also read....

Of course this is true and more people thought we were in a bad state than a good state. 

My glass half-full approach I suppose comes from this forum and from hearing RL fans in general. For somebody to say the game is in an OK state is a slightly more positive answer than being a purely neutral one I would suggest. 

There is of course another potential issue with the results. You could easily make the argument that forums also have a larger number of positive fans. To regularly post on a forum you are clearly more interested than the average person and therefore have more of a vested interest in wanting the game to do well. 

I would certainly say that forum fans are more informed than your average fan and therefore more likely to understand the reasons for licensing being brought in for instance rather than simply seeing it as a great injustice. I would be very interested to see a survey conducted that was a purely random sample of RL fans, however difficult this would be. 

Regardless I think the results would make uncomfortable reading for the powers that be. After 5 years of non-automatic P&R, 80% wanting a return to it is an overwhelming number. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 05 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#56 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

good observations and more or less how I viewed the stats. Notwithstanding that it's not a scientific study and that there is a +/- tolerance on respondents, the views on licencing and P+R are fairly staggering.

D+R is a different issue and isn't as influenced by the repeated champ v SL issues on here. As it is I think DR can be as damaging to the SL clubs as it is to the championship... and again almost 4/5 respondents suggested similar.

The world cup question again is interesting with about half split as to whether it will be a success or not.... and like you I tend to keep my head down on that topic. Repeated negative posts do get one lumped with the 'doom monger' tag!

The state of the game question again is interesting. Given the overwhelming representation of the first three question I would have expected a more lop-sided response to the satisfaction question. However, over half suggested ave-excellent...

An interesting survey.

I must admit, I've largely stayed away from the DR issue. If it's what I think it is, I'm not a fan of the concept wherever it has come from. 

I keep my head down on the RLWC topic largely because I want it to do well whether I think it will or not. There are plenty of positive releases at the moment and this is encouraging. I don't see the point in trying to look for negatives in any of those releases. It doesn't mean there aren't issues to do with it, or that the releases disprove my concerns. I'm just not sure what is gained by always trying to look for the negative in things like that or trying to dampen the positives by repeating the unconnected negatives at every opportunity.

There is a big difference though between having valid concerns that you can back up with a mixture of facts and opinion and wanting the tournament to fail just so you can feel like you've been proved right or just to stick one over the RFL for some perceived past injustice. Unfortunately (not you!) too many RL fans fall into the latter category.

#57 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm a big advocate of licensing but asked a simple question of would I like to see automatic P&R in RL the answer is yes.

The problem is, I only want to see it if all the clubs moving between division do not suffer financially because of it and are in a position to be competitive on a step up.

This survey allowed no option for the in between views.

It was, in my opinion, a loaded survey, and as such I'd take the results with a large pinch of salt.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#58 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'd see see more as a basic opinion poll, one that could be built on to provide more detailed information.

So, for example, a simple profile of responders that included say the first part of their post code. Armed with that information, it might be possible to see how many responders there were in the WF, WN7 or HX post code areas compared with say WN1 to WN6, LS, etc and then see how that matched to their responses.

In addition, it is an opinion poll..the responses are peoples opinions. Just because 35.25% of respondents think licencing is good for the game does not means that it is good for the game. Just because 64.75% think it is bad for the game does not make it bad for the game, either.

Equally, the 80% or so who wish to see P and R reintroduced may in fact all live in the Fev, Fax or Leigh areas.

However, its a start and maybe it cab be re-run in a few months time with more question to iron out potential distortions in the response profile.

Edited by JohnM, 05 April 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#59 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'd welcome that john. Given that the poll was posted on general fora it's open across all fans from across all of the game.
However, we all know its not a scientific research projject, more of an attempt by chris to "put some meat on the bones" and provide some data to the repeated questions and debates on here.
Notwithstanding the possibility of sckewed responses (I take on board your comments re post coding), I still find some of the responses staggering when the poll was an open poll.
Like at lot of research projects, particularly the one's im involved with in nursing, tend to highlight a need for further research rather than providing definitive answers.
A cracking effort by Chris and a great start. Like you say john, chris has identified an ideal opportunity for a bigger broader study.

#60 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'd see see more as a basic opinion poll, one that could be built on to provide more detailed information.

So, for example, a simple profile of responders that included say the first part of their post code. Armed with that information, it might be possible to see how many responders there were in the WF, WN7 or HX post code areas compared with say WN1 to WN6, LS, etc and then see how that matched to their responses.

In addition, it is an opinion poll..the responses are peoples opinions. Just because 35.25% of respondents think licencing is good for the game does not means that it is good for the game. Just because 64.75% think it is bad for the game does not make it bad for the game, either.

Equally, the 80% or so who wish to see P and R reintroduced may in fact all live in the Fev, Fax or Leigh areas.

However, its a start and maybe it cab be re-run in a few months time with more question to iron out potential distortions in the response profile.

I can think of only 1 reason why location would be relevant. .. and its not relevant at all.

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users