Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite pubs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

After clocking up several thousands of miles over the past couple of years, I've discovered some fantastic pubs, notably in London, where my view of southern beer has completely changed.

Favourites that I've come across:

1. The Gunmakers, Clerkenwell EC1
Probably my favourite pub in the country. Great landlord, faultless beer, excellent food. Plenty of choice, with beers normally sourced from London breweries or Purity brewery in Warwickshire. Perhaps the one pub in London that does a good pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord. Clerkenwell is great for a pub night - Jerusalem Tavern, Betsey Trottwood, Exmouth Arms to list just three.

2. The Bull and Swan, Stamford, Lincs.
Stamford is full of great pubs and worth a list itself, but the Bull and Swan has good food and drink coupled with excellent staff. Free house with Adnams + local guests usually on tap.

Any suggestions on others elsewhere?

Edited by Jonty, 26 March 2013 - 11:13 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#2 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

There is a pub in St Helens called the Phoenix and noted for its real beers and awards. Not a lavish pub and in an area that's not pretty but I am told well frequented.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Bradley Arms Featherstone: great beer, lot of history, very friendly, open fires.

The Grove Leeds: fantastic beer, unaltered interior, arguably one of the best live music pubs in the country

The Black Horse Ruislip again great beer, friendly locals excellent live music
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Always enjoyed calling in at the Old Silent Inn near Haworth, Yorkshire, as well as the Old Sun Inn, Haworth. Not been for some time, so not too sure whether they have the same warmly feel and good grub.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Always enjoyed calling in at the Old Silent Inn near Haworth, Yorkshire, as well as the Old Sun Inn, Haworth. Not been for some time, so not too sure whether they have the same warmly feel and good grub.

Probably about 12 months since I went in the Silent, but the snap was pretty good then.

Cliched I know, but my favourite at present is my local, the Hare & Hounds (or Lane Ends as it's known locally) in Old Town, just outside Hebden Bridge. Full range of Tim Taylor's beers which are all excellently kept, you're always welcomed at the bar by the locals and the staff, and the landlord and landlady are great. The food is not bad either.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Probably about 12 months since I went in the Silent, but the snap was pretty good then.

Cliched I know, but my favourite at present is my local, the Hare & Hounds (or Lane Ends as it's known locally) in Old Town, just outside Hebden Bridge. Full range of Tim Taylor's beers which are all excellently kept, you're always welcomed at the bar by the locals and the staff, and the landlord and landlady are great. The food is not bad either.

I recall the Old Silent Inn having a scrumptious salad, with a very generous plate full.

#7 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Port Street Beer House is worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Manchester. The modern decor might not be to your traditionists tastes, but the range of beers alone make it worth a visit.

Also a big fan of the The Victoria in Aspull, well stocked on Allgates finest.

Speaking of Allgates, "The Road to Wigan Beer" starts tomorrow taking in some of the better pubs in Wigan!

Edited by shrek, 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

in the 70s Iived on Haworth Road in Sandy Lane.

Decent beer was hard to come by, even taylors was under threat-best placein my locality for it back then was the Ferrands arms in Bingley down the valley: and the old silent inn. You took lasses to the OS: especially if the tryst was illicit, and went to he Ferrands with your mates.

Didn't the OS gain subsequent notoriety as a haunt of gangsters?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 27 March 2013 - 10:31 AM.

Keeping it local

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Euston Tap.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Euston Tap.

Regular calling off point prior to escaping back north - never disappoints.
London has some cracking bars these days.

Was in the Britons Protection in Manchester last night, another more traditional favourite.

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

in the 70s Iived on Haworth Road in Sandy Lane.

Decent beer was hard to come by, even taylors was under threat-best placein my locality for it back then was the Ferrands arms in Bingley down the valley: and the old silent inn. You took lasses to the OS: especially if the tryst was illicit, and went to he Ferrands with your mates.

Didn't the OS gain subsequent notoriety as a haunt of gangsters?

I visited the Old Silent Inn much later and always found a warm welcome. There is some history behind all the pennies stuck in the beams. The Old Sun Inn used to serve a corker of a Sunday roast. Just loved my visits to Haworth, and always called at the furniture place based in the old mansion. I believe the company has now moved.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I visited the Old Silent Inn much later and always found a warm welcome. There is some history behind all the pennies stuck in the beams. The Old Sun Inn used to serve a corker of a Sunday roast. Just loved my visits to Haworth, and always called at the furniture place based in the old mansion. I believe the company has now moved.

oh aye
I don't think it was the pub, more a small section of the clientelle that were the issue.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 27 March 2013 - 10:48 AM.

Keeping it local

#14 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

The Euston Tap is good but the best pub in London is either the Cask in Pimlico or the Jerusalem Tavern.I've lived in London for 21 years and the quality of pubs has increased.(Despite what many northerners say the beer has always been good but the choice is much better now.)

Back home in Manchester,the Marble Arch is the best.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

The Euston Tap is good but the best pub in London is either the Cask in Pimlico or the Jerusalem Tavern.I've lived in London for 21 years and the quality of pubs has increased.(Despite what many northerners say the beer has always been good but the choice is much better now.)

this thing about southern beer being rubbish is as you say, nonsense and always was.
Keeping it local

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I like the Jerusalem Tavern but haven't ever lived or worked near enough to it to be a regular.

There's a nice Sam Smith's round the corner from work - The Dover Castle. Never so empty as to be ridiculous but never so full as to be annoying.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Do you mean Scartop? It's still there.

http://www.scartop.c...es/Haworth.html

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#18 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Port Street Beer House is worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Manchester. The modern decor might not be to your traditionists tastes, but the range of beers alone make it worth a visit.

Only discovered this a month ago, excellent pub. Other favourites in Manchester are the Marble Arch and Sandbar.
Fides invicta triumphat

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Do you mean Scartop? It's still there.

http://www.scartop.c...es/Haworth.html

I wonder if another business has moved in because the place was shut down last time we paid a visit!

Edited by Saint Billinge, 27 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#20 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Only discovered this a month ago, excellent pub. Other favourites in Manchester are the Marble Arch and Sandbar.

The Fringe Bar on Swan Street is also very good.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users