Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite pubs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I wonder if another business has moved in because the place was shut down last time we paid a visit!

Depends how long ago it was I guess. To the best of my knowledge, it's been the same co for at least the last 4 or 5 years.

There was the original Ponden Mill just down the road in another similar building that has shut down, they sold more soft furnishings though.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Put me down as a fan of the Euston Tap as well. Always pop in when I'm in London. It is only a short walk from our office and of course handy for the train home. It is run by a northerner as well; the guy who manages it is originally from Aigburth.

Closer to home Liverpool has lots of great pubs serving a wide variety of quality beers. Among my favourites are The Fly in the Loaf, managed by a Cumbrian rugby league fan and regular haunt of Saints players. Another must visit is The Belvedere Arms, Falkner Street. This pub is a small old fashioned place unchanged, almost, by time. Serves some great, well kept beer. If you go at the wrong time though you will struggle to get in as it can be crowded by the members of the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra from next door who have been drinking in there for decades. Falkner Street itself is worth a visit, again it is like stepping back in time. A wide cobbled street full of elegant Regency houses. They must use this place for film shoots (most probably doubling for Dickensian/Regency London).

In Formby my local is The Freshfield which has a range of 14 hand pulled beers, 10 of them regularly changing guest beers and does great food as well.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Here goes.

Silver Talley, Standish, refurbished closed down Thwaites pub The Foresters, opened by local micro brewery Prospect ( of Oz Clarke and James May fame )

The Hop Vine, Burscough, another refurbished closed down pub this time with its own on site micro brewery.

The Anvil, WIgan Town Centre, Allgates Brewery owned very traditional boozer with excellant range of beers.

John Bull Chophouse, Thwaites house but has a selection of guest beers. Recently had a makeover but nothing too drastic, now has 5 hand pumps and serving a selection of home made pies from Cumbria. Renowned for its jukebox.

The Holt Arms (The Foot), Billinge, nice tidy pub, cracking in summer with bowling green at the back, thats if you can get there on our one summers day.

Hawkshead Brewery Tap, Stavely Cumbria, modern bar at the Hawkshead Brewery, full range of own beers, occasionally a guest. Good food including Beer Tapas.

Watermill Inn, Ings Cumbria, another pub with its own brewery, excellant food and huge range of beers.

Staleybridge Station Buffet Bar, cracking small conversion to a drinking house, very traditional food (pie and peas, hotpot etc.). Don't visit at weekend.

For a bizarre experience, Fiddle I'th Bag, Burtonwood, its like having a pint with the Steptoes.

In London I like The Ship Tavern tucked away down Gate Street behind Holborn Station.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

The Hop Vine, Burscough, another refurbished closed down pub this time with its own on site micro brewery.

I must make the effort to make a visit, heard nothing but good things about it. Supped plenty of their excellent beer though as the Freshfield often stock it.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Next time you are in Copenhagen, drop by at The Black Swan beer bar on Borgergade 93.

It offers a wide selection of microbrews and since reopening it is highly regarded;
http://www.blackswanbar.dk/

They also sponsor Copenhagen RLFC.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#26 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

I must make the effort to make a visit, heard nothing but good things about it. Supped plenty of their excellent beer though as the Freshfield often stock it.

This is REALY a reasturant that serves beer. Don't turn up early evening expecting to sit at a table and just drink because as has happend to me on few occasions you get a reserved sign placed on the table that you are using.

If you want a better pub in that area try the Ring O bell further down the canal towards Wigan. Food is miles better and the ale is more varied and the best around there.

#27 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

The legendary Ring of Feathers in Cleckhuddersfax.

Beyond belief. :)

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Fernandes Brewery Tap
Avison Yard
Wakefield
Always good selection of real ales, plus draught cider (Old Rosie usually) plus good selection Belgian ales and Belle Vue Cherry Beer on tap

West Riding Refreshment Rooms
Dewsbury Station
Featured in the James May/Ossie Clark programme - always excellent Taylors products, plus Anglo Dutch Brewery part of the railway ale trail.

Fannys Ale and Cider Vaults
Saltaire
Quirky pub on the outskirts of Saltaire - great pint Landlord - late John Peel's wife was born here - worth a train ride from Leeds - 20 mins.

Ossett Brewery Tap
The Green
Ossett
great pint of Excelsior plus other brewers' products

The Palace
Next to Leeds Parish Church
Great selectiion real ales, for those interested in defunct breweries - The Palace is a former Melbourne House and still has doors with the Melbourne "Couriter" logo.

Edited by Trojan, 27 March 2013 - 03:15 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#29 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

For me, as they are closing rapidly, any that are open!!

Strangely was going to start a similar thread this week about this too.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#30 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

For me, as they are closing rapidly, any that are open!!

Strangely was going to start a similar thread this week about this too.

Not round here they're not. The only ones I've noticed closing in Liverpool city centre are the ones you'd cross the road to avoid in the first place!

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I've heard, form people in the business, that those pubs that make the extra effort to offer something special - a choice of quality beers, excellent food, good live music or just a really nice atmosphere - are doing pretty well.

The ones that are mainly going to the wall are either the mediocre or plain bad ones. Obviously, there are exceptions on either side.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

My dads WMC made a profit of £700 for 2011 and when suggested why not introduce odd things like Darts and Doms (not world beating I know but £ is £'s) he was no, wouldn't work etc. Alot of places are narrowminded and backward thinking. Pubs still think Karaoke and loud DJs are the way forward.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 27 March 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Not round here they're not. The only ones I've noticed closing in Liverpool city centre are the ones you'd cross the road to avoid in the first place!

In Wigan we have had The Silver Tally (formerly The Foresters) , The Raven and Bird I'Th Hand (T'Hen 'ole) re-open in the last 12 months or so. Common to all locally sourced real ale and a simple but effective menu.

The Ring-O-Bells a bit further out near Burscough has re-opened as has The Stocks Tavern at Parbold. The RoB was a dreadful pub before it closed, never been in since it re-opened though someone elsewhere on this thread has given it a glowing report.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Watermill Inn, Ings Cumbria, another pub with its own brewery, excellant food and huge range of beers.

Up until Saturday that was my dads local, cracking pub, with an excellent dogs in the back room kids in the front room policy!

The Ring-O-Bells a bit further out near Burscough has re-opened as has The Stocks Tavern at Parbold. The RoB was a dreadful pub before it closed, never been in since it re-opened though someone elsewhere on this thread has given it a glowing report.

The Ring-O-Bells was always pretty grim, not been in since it re-opened, but just down the canal is The Ship Inn, which always used to be decent.

#35 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Agree with about the Ring O Bells it WAS dreadful but now it's the best pub in that area (which as you will know the area is saying something)

Amanda formerly of the Turks Head in St Helens is now running it best kept beer in the area and the best food by a mile ( although not a massive menu, which in my mind is a good thing)

Oh and they're having a beer featival this bank holiday weekend

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 27 March 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

An absolute gem of a boozer.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#37 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

The Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton in Derbyshire is well worth a visit. It's like stepping into a pub from about hundred years ago. i first went there about ten years ago with some friends. We walked in after a long, cold walk and there was a man with a kestrel on his shoulder next to the bar. We had some great grub by an open fire, smoked a camberwell carrot and no one batted an eyelid.

I lost touch with those friends so never knew where it was until recently. Went back about a month ago and stayed next door with my wife. Had a lovely night and the locals were very chatty, although my missus reckons those sort of pubs are ten a penny in Ireland.

Another cracking little pub is the Heaton Bridge Inn just outside Ormskirk. Nice beer and food.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#38 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

The Barley Mow is also a great favourite of mine, always take friends there who need to see what a proper pub with beer from the rack tastes like.

If you find yourself in Derby itself look out the Exeter Arms on Exeter Street. The home made food is really excellent and the Dancing Duck range of beers is exemplary.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'm not much of pub frequenter but the two I tend to go in are the Wyke Lion down the road on A58 and the White Lion in Hebden Bridge. The similarity in name is just coincidence.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Barley Mow is also a great favourite of mine, always take friends there who need to see what a proper pub with beer from the rack tastes like.

If you find yourself in Derby itself look out the Exeter Arms on Exeter Street. The home made food is really excellent and the Dancing Duck range of beers is exemplary.

I lived in Derby for just under a year and it was a bloody miserable year for various reasons. I do seem to remember it having a few decent pubs though.
Me and my girlfriend at the time drove down to Cornwall to see the solar eclipse and we picked up a couple of hitchhikers around Saltash. It turned out they drank in our local in Derby! I can't remember the name of the pub though.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users