Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite pubs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

I don't know how this one does these days, last time I was there was to watch St.Judes play Rochdale in the CC a few years ago, but The Cemetery in Rochdale just up the road from the ground used to be a cracker.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#82 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

when i'm across at the in laws i always make a bee-line for Nellies in Beverly

An absolute gem of a boozer.

Perhaps 10/15 years ago, I was asked to put two electric :o lights in Nellies.

The story was this...It had started to get a bit of a reputation as a drugs den but, every time the Police raided it, the punters turned the gas lights off. :D

So the Police threatened the landlord with closure unless he got some electric lights installed that could only be operated from behind the bar, the idea being that when the Police turned up, the lights were turned on. I had to try and install them in such a way that they looked like antique stuff they'd added to the decor so as not to arouse suspicion.

The first Police raid after this was, however, not much of a success. When they turned the lights on, nothing happened.

Seemed someone had already pinched the bulbs out of both fittings.

Edited by Old Frightful, 29 March 2013 - 08:00 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#83 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

The Templar - like the Palace is a former Melbourne house.

I Like the Templar because its now clientelle seem like those who used to go in the old pubs in th60s -70s.I can recognise old melbourne house's though I never drunk the legendery melbourne bitter although Ive sopke to people younger than me who tell me "you couldnt beat melbourne bitter"Aparently it didnt give a hangover
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#84 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Some good suggestions - I didn't expect this level of response when I posted the thread!

When I lived in Lancaster a decade ago I was spoilt for choice when it came to decent pubs, and then I moved to Hindley, between Wigan and Leigh, where the majority of pubs are 7-day a week Karaoke with ###### beer. The nearest you can get to a good pub crawl here is to start at the Eddington, up by the station where you can get a pint of Holts for less than two quid, then the excellent Hare and Hounds which serves Stringers from Ulverston and has a good following for televised RL, ending up at the Red Lion.

I'm hoping to get to an Oxford RLFC game this summer - plenty of decent pubs within 15 minutes walk of the game in the St Clements area of the city, including one of my favourites, the Cape of Good Hope, which is just a couple of minutes walk from the Iffley Rd. ground.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#85 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

One big difference between Leeds and Bradford is that so many Leeds pubs are enormous. It must have been quite an experience in the 50's and 60's to be in such big packed atmospheres.

It was. Places like the Fford Green in Harehills were like the wild west

Don't like the telegraph review of Nellie' s. It genuinely was stepping back in time when I first went. Women were not banned, just confined to one room and it was frostily pointed out that they did not have a ladies toilet
Men had a wall to pee up out the back.
It had not been cleaned for 200 years. Putting a bar in ruined it.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#86 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I Like the Templar because its now clientelle seem like those who used to go in the old pubs in th60s -70s.I can recognise old melbourne house's though I never drunk the legendery melbourne bitter although Ive sopke to people younger than me who tell me "you couldnt beat melbourne bitter"Aparently it didnt give a hangover

Yes I never drank it, Tetleys took Melbourne over in the early sixties, presuambly they still have the recipe for the beer somewhere. The Fleece (MIddle 'oil) in Churwell was a former Melbourne house,it had a beautiful mosaic of the Melbourne Courtier logo. The pub is now a Tesco but the mosaic lives on incorporated into one of the walls.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#87 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Been a while since I was last in there, but the shoulder of lamb is a must. Lots of places to the beer paddle thing, though I've never seen the point myself; sampling all on offer and NOT being able to walk in a straight line is much more fun. :D

What can I say, I'm a light weight, as much as I love the proper stuff I can't drink more than 3 or 4 pints of it without suffering! So its the only way us shandy drinkers can get a taste of everything without setting up camp for a week!

#88 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Some great ones on n hull

#89 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,138 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

What can I say, I'm a light weight, as much as I love the proper stuff I can't drink more than 3 or 4 pints of it without suffering! So its the only way us shandy drinkers can get a taste of everything without setting up camp for a week!

three or four pints is plenty mate

I've cut down my drinking radically over the last few years, more still in recent months.

When I do have a drink I enjoy it far more than I used to and I don't bother at all if I'm in a gaff where the beer is ####: this includes just about all rugby league grounds. I never have a drink 'because it's there' any more. If there's nothing I fancy I don't bother a all andhave a glass of pop.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#90 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes I never drank it, Tetleys took Melbourne over in the early sixties, presuambly they still have the recipe for the beer somewhere. The Fleece (MIddle 'oil) in Churwell was a former Melbourne house,it had a beautiful mosaic of the Melbourne Courtier logo. The pub is now a Tesco but the mosaic lives on incorporated into one of the walls.

My first local in the mid60s was The old Oak Tree on Leeds and Bradford road Bramley,now long since gone,and it was a Ramsdens house .I just caught the backend of Ramsdens at that pub before ateeey took over,Ramsdens mild was a great pint
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#91 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

My first local in the mid60s was The old Oak Tree on Leeds and Bradford road Bramley,now long since gone,and it was a Ramsdens house .I just caught the backend of Ramsdens at that pub before ateeey took over,Ramsdens mild was a great pint

I remember Ramsden's. Was it Stone Trough Beer that they advertised? There was a Ramsden pub near the judo club in Armley I have used to have a pint in afterwards. No idea what it was called now but agree the mild was excellent.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#92 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,138 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I remember Ramsden's. Was it Stone Trough Beer that they advertised? There was a Ramsden pub near the judo club in Armley I have used to have a pint in afterwards. No idea what it was called now but agree the mild was excellent.

our students union sold Ramsdens in the brewey' final days. Unfortunatly like the rst of the slops on sale-hence most people supped Newcastle Brown it was on electric pumps.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#93 Hx Irish

Hx Irish
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hop and Vine in Hull is great http://www.hopandvin.../Home/Home.aspx as is the Wellington.

#94 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

The Upper George in Wibsey is obliged, by council decree, to retain its leaded light rear windows that are inlaid with the Ramsden's crest.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#95 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

whats that "loyalist" pub just off the front in scarboro called?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#96 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

In St Leonards-on-Sea is the worst collection of pubs you can imagine, The Nags Head on Gensing Rd is a darts pub (Unless you are Championship standard, don't expect to get into double figures in here), and the beer is OK, the rest of SLOS pubs are awful beer apart from The North Star which runs a loyalty card for it's (well kept) real ales - Buy 9 get 1 free - plus 5 types of draught lager, 4 ciders. Sister pub the General Havelock has the same beers, plus an amazing range of 1920's wall tile pictures, maybe even earlier than that.

The Old Town in Hastings has some decent boozers as I mentioned earlier, but the town centre is pretty lower average.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#97 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

whats that "loyalist" pub just off the front in scarboro called?

Loyal to what?He or she or them or it?
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#98 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Loyal to what?He or she or them or it?

its a rangers pub-cant think of its name
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#99 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#100 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users