Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite pubs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#101 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

its a rangers pub-cant think of its name

the goldenlast-went in this place last year, quite an eyeopener to say the least
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#102 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

The Watering Hole situated on Perranporth beach. The beer is fine but the location at sunset is unbeatable!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#103 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

its a rangers pub-cant think of its name

Sorry about the delay couldnt post.Scarborough has a long tradition of Scottish visitors and holiday makers,Although rightnow I can only rememberone pb off hand the golden ball I think its called
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#104 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

http://www.beerinthe...ast/Scarborough

The Golden Last

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#105 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,911 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

it sounds absolutely evil.

I don't care about the fact that it seems to be a #### hole, I like places like that

but bloody hell, I would't want o bereathe the same air is some of the zoids who seem to frequent the place. The ecomments by th patrons of the gaff make it seem more lik a bigotry heritage centre than a boozer: they could charge admission.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#106 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.beerinthe...ast/Scarborough

The Golden Last

Thats not the one I was thinking of,but Christ Scarborough must have gone down the nick since I was last there.The Scottish visitors I remember wouldnt have gone in a place like that.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#107 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,911 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

http://www.panoramio.../photo/25707039

the golden ball

a Scarborough landmark near the harbour.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 April 2013 - 10:16 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#108 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Alma Inn - Thornhill

Bath - Dewsbury

Boot Inn - Chester

Brewers Pride Ossett (now a fancy restaurant)

West Riding RR

Old White Bear - Cross Hills

Brookhouse Inn - Eskdale, Cumbria

Dog and Gun - Oxenhope

Black Bull - Reeth

Farmers Arms - Muker (now the local)

I can't remember all the names from the time I travelled as an RL fan but visits to Widnes (Cricketers Arms?), Rochdale (one with the bowling green behind Spotland), Headingley Taps, Social Club near John Smiths stadium Huddersfield (the one on Leeds Road), Social Club at Whitehaven near the ground all bring back good memories 

Basically 25 years progress across the North, One hell of a place for pubs.

#109 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

My favorite pub in the local area.

http://www.old-hall-inn.co.uk/

#110 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

http://www.panoramio.../photo/25707039

the golden ball
a Scarborough landmark near the harbour.

Cheers mate thats the one I was thinking of
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#111 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Brookhouse Inn - Eskdale, Cumbria

I prefer the Woolpack a bit further up the road. We will be going back in May so I'll have to try them both again to see if I'm right :D
Fides invicta triumphat

#112 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I prefer the Woolpack a bit further up the road. We will be going back in May so I'll have to try them both again to see if I'm right :D

The guy who has the wool pack used to run the burnmoor inn (he renamed it the boot inn) and sold it on to Robinsons(who then turned a good pub into a dreadful one, what it's it with breweries)

The woolpack is a bit weird. It has one bit in the traditional pub decor and another bit in the style of a Deansgate type vodka bar

In easkdale you have a fantastic walk/train trip the King George IV at the junction is also worth a vist. It's great sitting on the front watching people who have just drove over hard knot pass looking for a less hairy rout back to Ambleside

#113 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

The guy who has the wool pack used to run the burnmoor inn (he renamed it the boot inn) and sold it on to Robinsons(who then turned a good pub into a dreadful one, what it's it with breweries)

The woolpack is a bit weird. It has one bit in the traditional pub decor and another bit in the style of a Deansgate type vodka bar

In easkdale you have a fantastic walk/train trip the King George IV at the junction is also worth a vist. It's great sitting on the front watching people who have just drove over hard knot pass looking for a less hairy rout back to Ambleside

Agree about the decor, leds under perspex doesn't really suit a remote pub in the lake district but the beer was excellent when I went as was the food. I like the taxi service where they drive you back to your campsite/house in an old army wagon so you can leave your car until the morning and designated drivers get free soft drinks at night. The Boot inn was pretty poor.

Edited by Severus, 09 April 2013 - 09:28 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#114 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Anyone heading to Scarborough, Whitby or any of the other resorts in that area would do well to take a detour up on to the Moors through the dementedly bucolic Hutton-le-Hole and stop off at The Lion on Blakey Ridge.

Busy but friendly, the food's good, as is the beer and the view on a good day is pretty great, as the Ridge is the highest point in the North York Moors national park.

aerialLION_FAR.jpg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#115 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Farmers Arms - Muker (now the local)

Just looked up Muker .... flipping heck, now that is the middle of nowhere!

Good job the pub's good; otherwise you'd have a long walk to find the next one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#116 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

There is a Chelsea pub in Silverhill in St Leonards, and the weeken after United had beaten Chelsea in the Champions League final, I went in there, not knowing it was a Chelsea pub, for a game of pool. The look on the landladys face resembled the look as though I'd just asked to have sex with her parrot.

Never been back, never got that game of pool either.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#117 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Dual post

Edited by Bleep1673, 09 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#118 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Like has been posted before I think the beer in London has improved
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#119 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I think beer everywhere in the UK has improved.

British lager, however ... now that's still utter utter cack.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#120 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Spent an evening at the aforementioned Port Street Beer House in Manchester last night. Had one of the best beers I've ever tasted, Black Band Porter by Kirkstalls.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users