- - - - -

Favourite pubs

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think beer everywhere in the UK has improved.

British lager, however ... now that's still utter utter cack.

http://www.brewdog.c...ap-beer-amnesty

The April Fool that wasn't

#122 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm going to Bradford this weekend to watch Wigan on Sunday.

Staying at the Great Victoria Hotel.

I know the Fighting Cocks,New Beehive,The Castle,Corn Dolly are good for real ale.Any others? I have heard the Sparrow is good- anybody been there?

Also,any decent late opening bars with 60s,70s music?

#123 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Spent an evening at the aforementioned Port Street Beer House in Manchester last night. Had one of the best beers I've ever tasted, Black Band Porter by Kirkstalls.

Tied up with black velvet? :)

#124 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'm going to Bradford this weekend to watch Wigan on Sunday.

Staying at the Great Victoria Hotel.

I know the Fighting Cocks,New Beehive,The Castle,Corn Dolly are good for real ale.Any others? I have heard the Sparrow is good- anybody been there?

Also,any decent late opening bars with 60s,70s music?

Are you just staying on Saturday, or Friday as well?

Friday ... folk night in the Castle; a very good local singer called Bella Gaffney (only about 20 with a pretty big future, I reckon)  is on, plus a jam session.

Saturday ... live punk / rock music at the Black Swan on Thornton Road ... which is pretty near the Fighting Cock on Preston Street.

Fighting Cock shuts at 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays

Both nights .... late night drinking and live rock music (free entry upstairs; pay to see the band downstairs) at the Gasworks in the City Centre ... no proper beer but large  cans of Red Stripe are pretty cheap.

Sparrow's okay, but not big and has a continental cafe atmosphere.

Some pubs have occasional gigs; e.g the New Beehive, the Polish Club and the City Vaults. I'll report back.

The City Vaults has a jazz band on every Sunday night

I've checked out Griff's Magic Theatre's website (fantastic all-vinyl 60's to 90's  dj) but he doesn't seem to be playing this week.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#125 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just looked up Muker .... flipping heck, now that is the middle of nowhere!

Good job the pub's good; otherwise you'd have a long walk to find the next one.

200 yds to the Kearton Hotel. Peroni on draft a weakness I have for lager, although the clientel are more baby sham and half a mild than a session of beer.

Not blessed with hundreds pubs, but the Dales has dozens of top drinking spots. A far cry from the choices in Dewsbury or Bradford but still superb variety.

#126 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Are you just staying on Saturday, or Friday as well?

Friday ... folk night in the Castle; a very good local singer called Bella Gaffney (only about 20 with a pretty big future, I reckon)  is on, plus a jam session.

Saturday ... live punk / rock music at the Black Swan on Thornton Road ... which is pretty near the Fighting Cock on Preston Street.

Fighting Cock shuts at 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays

Both nights .... late night drinking and live rock music (free entry upstairs; pay to see the band downstairs) at the Gasworks in the City Centre ... no proper beer but large  cans of Red Stripe are pretty cheap.

Sparrow's okay, but not big and has a continental cafe atmosphere.

Some pubs have occasional gigs; e.g the New Beehive, the Polish Club and the City Vaults. I'll report back.

The City Vaults has a jazz band on every Sunday night

I've checked out Griff's Magic Theatre's website (fantastic all-vinyl 60's to 90's  dj) but he doesn't seem to be playing this week.

Wolford6

I am just staying Saturday night and going back to London straight after the match.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#127 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

The wonderfully named House of The Trembling Madness pub in York is a fantastic bar.

#128 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

The wonderfully named House of The Trembling Madness pub in York is a fantastic bar.

Sounds like a Weatherspoons. ;)

Edited by longboard, 10 April 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#129 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Bazz

Stop Press:

Griff's Magic Theatre is playing the Black Swan tonight. Fantastic all vinyl music, not just singles, album tracks etc. Expect Creedence, Hendrix, Ska, Doors, West Coast, Stones, Psychedelia etc.

Thornton Road  ~ 500 yards up from the Odeon and fountains. Get there before 11pm; won't finish till "later".

it will be a good night for you and your party.

#130 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Spent an evening at the aforementioned Port Street Beer House in Manchester last night. Had one of the best beers I've ever tasted, Black Band Porter by Kirkstalls.

Is that the Kirkstall brewery from Leeds? I'll be going home soon and they have just bought one of my old locals.looking forwad to sampling
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#131 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Think it is these people http://www.kirkstall...y.com/our-beer/

Not tried any yet myself, but they look like another fine example of the ever growing number micro breweries around the country. We really do have some fantastic beer choices these days if you know where to look.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#132 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

The local Mall yesterday was closed due to a power outage and I drink in a restaurant /Diner, Ruby Tuesday the beer on tap is slappy Yuenglings ,but its quite cheap $4.70 for about 1.1/3 of a pint .Anyway yesterday I got a lift to another Mall and called for one in a bar/restaurant called Bogarts which sold a selection of beers.I asked for a Porter and it was a cracking drink only it was less than a pint and it cost $6.So its back to Ruby's  next week,but I wouldnt mind a proper sesh in Bogarts.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#133 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Just looked up Muker .... flipping heck, now that is the middle of nowhere!

e.

My favourite part of the world. Spent a lot of holidays drinking and potholing around there

I think Muker is a preserved area, fields as far as you can see, all dry Stone walled and every one with its own little barn. Fantastic!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#134 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

I paid a visit to Alverthorpe Working Mens Club (Wakefield) last night. Although not a pub it is superb establishment with a dedicated TV lounge overlooking the bowling green, another lounge for people who don't want to watch TV, a welcoming bar area and a large and well appointed concert room. Most important of all was the beer, as well as guest real ales they always have on tap the wonderful White Lion which is brewed at Bob's Brewery in nearby Ossett, the price (£2-26p) a pint is a real bargain.

#135 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Two of Bradford's finest traditional pubs have been shut for well over a year. Both near the city centre.

One is to re-open.

:)

thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10356553.Landmark_Bradford_pub_Jacobs_Well_is_saved_by_William_Wagstaff/

One looks to be lost forever, despite having the best bar area I have ever seen.

:(

http://www.thetelegr...b_at_Barkerend/

I think the council should insist on the bar being dismantled and re-built at the Industrial Museum.

#136 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

It's probably 3 or 4 years since I was at The Old Pear Tree so if its gone downhill then that's a shame cos it used to be a very decent pub.

As for Harry's Bar - I didn't say it was any good, just that it was worth a visit for the entertainment and curiosity factor, you know what I mean.

I suppose that s one way of looking at it !!!!

"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#137 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I've never liked Landlord it's too sweet.

Bradford city centre now has several really good proper-beer pubs.

On the other hand, in my long-term stomping ground, Wibsey pubs used to sell terrific proper beer. Now there's only the Dog & Gun and Upper George where I can rely on getting a good pint.

Always found the dog a little hit and miss. Depends whos pulling the pint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users