TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RL DEUTSCHLAND PROGRESSES ITS LEGAL STATUS

RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Rugby League Deutschland has elected a new Board of Directors, including a new president Benedikt Rehm, at its AGM in Heidelberg.

Rehm, a long-time league enthusiast and former international, replaces Max Schoengen who had been elected in February 2011.

“We are now looking forward to achieving, for the first time, legal status in Germany and, hopefully, a successful [RLIF] application for SportAccord recognition in Lausanne that will take us closer to obtaining an official federation here in 2014,” he said on his acceptance. “We have adopted a new constitution to achieve these aims, we are optimistic and 2013 will be the busiest year yet for rugby league in Germany.”

Uwe Jansen was returned as vice president and Ulrich Scholz treasurer with the pair joined by newcomers Daniel Isen, Katharina Frey – their first woman on the governing body - and Georg Frey.

The new Board ratified a first German tour to France, with the Heidelberg Lions U16s visiting Perpignan where they will play local opponents before watching Catalan Dragons’ Easter Monday Super League clash with Leeds Rhinos. The Dragons will then host the German youngsters at a training session later in the week to further their rugby league experience.

In the first week of March under-16 and under-18 competitions kicked off successfully in Heidelberg and RLD ran a match officials course under the stewardship of RLEF match officials manager Steve Davis.

BARLA U18 and Clock Face Miners youth have also confirmed tours to Germany, with the latter coinciding with a visit by Warrington Wolves’ community coaches.

Germany’s youth international sides, which have been among the busiest on the Continent over the past few years, will travel to Serbia for the 2013 RLEF youth festival.

PHIL CAPLAN
RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Best of luck to them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Good luck Bene, top bloke who has done alot for Germany over the years. Shame RLD is just concentrated around Heidelberg and the rest is left to die off where previously there was teams like Cologne, Calbach and Hochspeyer. Hopefully bene can help get germany sorted again. The youth aspect is good, but is all Union players from Heidelberg rather than youngsters coming to the game from Schools. This is a bit of a concern for me though

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Good luck Bene, top bloke who has done alot for Germany over the years. Shame RLD is just concentrated around Heidelberg and the rest is left to die off where previously there was teams like Cologne, Calbach and Hochspeyer. Hopefully bene can help get germany sorted again. The youth aspect is good, but is all Union players from Heidelberg rather than youngsters coming to the game from Schools. This is a bit of a concern for me though

The Serbian junior teams were made up of RU converts at first, so I'm not too worried about that, at least they're playing. The biggest problem seems to be the lack of a domestic competition despite all the promises of one.

#5 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

The Serbian junior teams were made up of RU converts at first, so I'm not too worried about that, at least they're playing. The biggest problem seems to be the lack of a domestic competition despite all the promises of one.

The RLEF s Danny Kazandjian insists 13 a side should only be played and not 9s series in Germany. This attitude may work in Lebanon, but in Germany trying to get 13 or more people to travel 3 or 4 hours to play a game and pay themselves is very difficult. Even in German Rugby Union there are major problems with this, especially in their cup with over 50% of games being cancelled. Sadly there are not enough local teams to run a regional comp. The other problem is the Vice President and RLEF Development Officer, Uwe Jansen has caused many problems. The former president Max Schöngen has walked away, along side his club Calbach- the only non Union side- due to Jansen. Also Hochspeyer RU walked out as did the US Army RU Club at Rammstein, Kaiserslautern. Both of them said they would never have anything to do with Rugby League while Jansen was involved. Shame as there was the possibility of a 3 team comp in time.

The problem is not really that the Youths are all Union lads but the fact that EVERYTHING is based around the Heidelberg RU scene. All the board members are RU people. One of the major reasons RU has not grown in Germany is because the 4 RU clubs in Heidelberg control everything and all fight for control of power. The constitution and power is very much centered around Heidelberg. Rugby Union in Heidelberg is hated- and I dont use that term lightly- by the rest of the Rugby Union scene in Germany. My fear is that German RL is just like the German RU with little done to help grow the game outside of Heidelberg. There is also much fear/hatred from certain sections of the German RU who see RL as always pinching their players. They tried to stop the Russia game being played last year and it was Bene Rehm who helped make sure it went ahead

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

I don't buy into your argument about 9's. Other nations like Norway seem to be able to stage 13-a-side matches with far greater distances, obviously the situations aren't always the same but I fail to see what 9's would really achieve and don't blame Kazandjian for not wanting it. The issue seems to be the board being run by Heidelberg RU people. Maybe people in other parts of the country should form their own federation if they aren't happy and feel that they would be able to do things better on their own. Although given that there appears to be a democratic structure in place, I'm not sure why this should really be neccessary.

#7 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

The RLEF s Danny Kazandjian insists 13 a side should only be played and not 9s series in Germany. This attitude may work in Lebanon, but in Germany trying to get 13 or more people to travel 3 or 4 hours to play a game and pay themselves is very difficult. Even in German Rugby Union there are major problems with this, especially in their cup with over 50% of games being cancelled. Sadly there are not enough local teams to run a regional comp. The other problem is the Vice President and RLEF Development Officer, Uwe Jansen has caused many problems. The former president Max Schöngen has walked away, along side his club Calbach- the only non Union side- due to Jansen. Also Hochspeyer RU walked out as did the US Army RU Club at Rammstein, Kaiserslautern. Both of them said they would never have anything to do with Rugby League while Jansen was involved. Shame as there was the possibility of a 3 team comp in time.

The problem is not really that the Youths are all Union lads but the fact that EVERYTHING is based around the Heidelberg RU scene. All the board members are RU people. One of the major reasons RU has not grown in Germany is because the 4 RU clubs in Heidelberg control everything and all fight for control of power. The constitution and power is very much centered around Heidelberg. Rugby Union in Heidelberg is hated- and I dont use that term lightly- by the rest of the Rugby Union scene in Germany. My fear is that German RL is just like the German RU with little done to help grow the game outside of Heidelberg. There is also much fear/hatred from certain sections of the German RU who see RL as always pinching their players. They tried to stop the Russia game being played last year and it was Bene Rehm who helped make sure it went ahead

You do contradict yourself; Its a shame that the activity is confined to Heidelberg yet its too difficult to travel greater distances to get a team out?

Germany is a huge landmass, with a part time resource its impressive that what does happen.

#8 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes Germany is big and a struggle to get teams to travel. There was a groups of people around Frankfurt, Cologne, Bavaria, Kaiserslautern as well as Heidelberg. We played 9s events, as teams struggled to get even that out and if just 4,5,6 or 7 people turned up then least they could play in other teams and get experience. Also wouldnt get hammered against more experienced teams. But expecting teamd from Cologne or heidelberg to play against each other is unrealistic. Build up teams until you have maybe 2 or 3 teams who are in a position to play against each other maybe at 10s, 12s or 13s. Then maybe have region against region. The interest outside of Heidelberg has died of or been killed by certain people. Kaiserslautern and Calbach are around 60-90 minutes from Heidelberg. But they are no longer around. Cologne and Bavaria has died off after no help from the RLD. The amount of people who have left RLD in the past 2 years is a concern. The last President Max Schöngen, Bob Doughton, Dirk Fraise, Thomas Isaak, Basti Vermaat etc are major losses who have been squeezed out. This is my major concern that heidelberg RU people control and run EVERYTHING and nobody outside of this scene is involved. The website has been dead for over a year, there is no documentation with match reports and photos happening except between 2 Union clubs playing(HGR and SCN). I hope something happens but I have my concerns due to how the heidelberg RU club scene is and also the recent events. You see the Czechs and how they have done things and Norway and germany is way behind them but are lucky to have quality heritage players to the national teay is m. I just feel Germany RL is just standing still and throwing away much needed interest and help.

#9 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

If people are legitimately interested in developing RL and feel the current set-up isn't suitable then they should work to change things, not just take their ball and go home. You've named one antagonist, Jansen, and about 5 or 6 people who were apparently opposed to the current set-up, including the former president. RLD isn't a big organization and I've heard of most of the people you've named, it seems to me that if so many important people were opposed to the regime then they should have acted on it rather than just walking away from the sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users