RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Telegraph Paywall

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,971 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

The Telegraph is joining The Times in a paywall format.

If this keeps going, I'll be left with only left wing papers and the Daily Mail free online.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I could understand the Times doing it but I don't think the Telegraph has anything like the online clout.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Simple economics.

Content that costs money to create can't be given away free forever, and there isn't enough advertising revenue to go round.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#4 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I heard part of a piece on Radio 4 this week about the Torygraph group making journalists from the print version redundant and taking on more hacks for the online version. It represented a total reduction of something like 30 jobs IIRC.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

The Sun is planning the same. I mean, who is going to pay to see half naked women? Oh, hang on.... :o :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Simple economics.

Content that costs money to create can't be given away free forever, and there isn't enough advertising revenue to go round.

One can compare and contrast the Guardian which is well-visited but loses money hand over fist against the Times which has only readers who have paid and, I believe, is in a reasonably healthy position.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

One can compare and contrast the Guardian which is well-visited but loses money hand over fist against the Times which has only readers who have paid and, I believe, is in a reasonably healthy position.

The Guardian will have to have a paywall sometime soon. I can't see how they can keep going otherwise.

You can subscribe to a very beautifully put together Guardian online app to read on your ipad, but it has the same content as the free website.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for the Guardian website but I'm not going to do it while they give it to me for free.

That's me.  I'm done.

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

The Sun is planning the same. I mean, who is going to pay to see half naked women? Oh, hang on.... :o :lol:

Apparently they've paid for a deal to show premier league goals as part of their strategy to get people to pay for the online content.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

The Telegraph is about to "release" 80 journalists, not including RU man Paul Ackford, who left a few months ago.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

The Guardian will have to have a paywall sometime soon. I can't see how they can keep going otherwise.

You can subscribe to a very beautifully put together Guardian online app to read on your ipad, but it has the same content as the free website.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for the Guardian website but I'm not going to do it while they give it to me for free.

It's like putting the genie back in the bottle asking people to start paying for what they have grown used to getting for free. But it has to happen. They'll all do it eventually, it's only a matter of time, or they'll end up going out of business.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'll stick to reading it in the newsagent and putting it back.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think if Fleeet Street got its act together, there could be a relatively-cheap paywall giving access to all newspapers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I pay for the Guardian iPhone app, and its well worth it. Sadly though the Telegraph (which is the other place I get my news) is £99 per year for a digital subscription. Bit steep for me!

Edit!

Actually I was wrong. For the iphone its £20 a year... ipad and digital subscription is £99.

Might be worth it.

Edited by RidingPie, 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#14 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think if Fleeet Street got its act together, there could be a relatively-cheap paywall giving access to all newspapers.

I can't see them hacking it on that one. They haven't proved fleet of foot on paywall development. Time will tell if many readers sub-scribe to paying for online content across the board, or whether only some titles scoop up customers. :)

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

The Telegraph is allowing limited free access - 20 articles per month, I think.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

It's like putting the genie back in the bottle asking people to start paying for what they have grown used to getting for free. But it has to happen. They'll all do it eventually, it's only a matter of time, or they'll end up going out of business.

That's what they say, but the can't give away content for nothing forever.

If you do it though, you have to do it properly. You can't expect me to pay for the Guardian app which has all the same content as the free Guardian website.

This site once brought in a subsrciption fee, and I was happy to pay it for the content alone but noone ever bothered to charge me.

I would prefer to pay a subscription than have things like the Guardian funded by advertising alone. As a general rule on the internet, if you're getting the service for free then you are the product, not the customer.

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

The Telegraph is allowing limited free access - 20 articles per month, I think.

I think that's a really interesting model, and one that I can see working quite well.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users