TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Snow shovellers needed!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dewsbury Rams

Dewsbury Rams
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

The club are appealing for volunteers to help clear the snow from the South Stand terrace, a little in the main stand and some of the entrance areas to help make sure the Batley game goes ahead.

The groundsman will be at the Tetley's Stadium from 9.00am on Friday so if there is anyone out there that can come armed with a shovel on that morning it would be a great help. We are hiring in a mini digger/plough to clear the pitch and some of the worse areas around the stadium but we still need people to clear the areas that are inaccessible to this vehicle.

The weather for the weekend is very slightly milder but dry so if we can get the snow off early the game has every chance of going ahead. We appreciate that many people still work on Good Friday but any help would be welcome.

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

I reckon the club really need this game to go ahead to get a few pennies into the coffers.

The bad weather will have hit the car boot badly but the bills will still pile up no matter what. Hands to the pumps all those who are able and willing.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Can't make it. Would cost me about three/four grand.
However, I can remember doing my shovelling bit as a kid at Crown Flatt, when winters were winters and (almost) predictable, and when I only had a one minute walk to the main Leeds Rd end gate. I also remember George Sharples-famous old player-joining in the work. Trevor Hall was groundsman, and he would have the pitch looking like Wembley (if you ignored the nine-ole) for the start of the season. He also looked after the bowling green and several times won the Yorkshire Greenkeeping prize. He knew more about grass than most sheep.
But what are you doing shovelling snow in, almost, April? Although I can recollect -about 40 years ago-a Derbyshire v Yorkshire match at Chesterfield being abandoned due to snow a few days before Spring Bank Holiday. By the holiday weekend it was into the nineties, and the hottest and sunniest UK summer I can remember ensued.
Hope this latest bad weather is a similar harbinger!

#4 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Can't make it. Would cost me about three/four grand.
However, I can remember doing my shovelling bit as a kid at Crown Flatt, when winters were winters and (almost) predictable, and when I only had a one minute walk to the main Leeds Rd end gate. I also remember George Sharples-famous old player-joining in the work. Trevor Hall was groundsman, and he would have the pitch looking like Wembley (if you ignored the nine-ole) for the start of the season. He also looked after the bowling green and several times won the Yorkshire Greenkeeping prize. He knew more about grass than most sheep.
But what are you doing shovelling snow in, almost, April? Although I can recollect -about 40 years ago-a Derbyshire v Yorkshire match at Chesterfield being abandoned due to snow a few days before Spring Bank Holiday. By the holiday weekend it was into the nineties, and the hottest and sunniest UK summer I can remember ensued.
Hope this latest bad weather is a similar harbinger!

I'd just pulled up a sandbag.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

I reckon the club really need this game to go ahead to get a few pennies into the coffers.

The bad weather will have hit the car boot badly but the bills will still pile up no matter what. Hands to the pumps all those who are able and willing.

Anybody want to come and help me shovel the snow back on the pitch ? :(

#6 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#7 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Anybody want to come and help me shovel the snow back on the pitch ? :(

Classic GOR keep smiling mate :)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#8 Dewsbury Rams

Dewsbury Rams
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

There is still some deep snow in places on the pitch which we need help to clear so that Monday's game can go ahead. If you can spare some time on Saturday from 12.30pm onwards the groundsman would love to see you up at the Tetley's Stadium. If you have a shovel please bring it with you! Any help for any length of time is welcome!

#9 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I think after last nights game this might be better on Batley's board!
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#10 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

leave it on get the game called off if were struggling to raise a squad.Its what the mutts would do.

#11 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Clearing snow of a pitch when youve half a team out.Turkeys looking foreward to Christmas springs to mind.

#12 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Clearing snow of a pitch when youve half a team out.Turkeys looking foreward to Christmas springs to mind.

Have to agree. Leave the snow on and prey it doesn't melt until the end April....

#13 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Think it will just be a case of how many Batley win by, but given Thursday's result could be embarrassing. Have been very unlucky with injuries but we had a good run of winnable games to start except Fev. But all teams seem to be picking up points now and the gap is closing rapidly.

Ignoring CC game, we have got three winnable games out of next six, so we need to start picking up points or we will be in the relegation dogfight.

Top 5 pulling away now, so the rest are fighting for 3 play-off spots and two relegation spots and don't really think there is that much between the nine teams involved.

We finished 7th last season with a stronger team and an experienced coach, so really we could end up anywhere between 8th and 14th.

#14 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Given where we are with injuries are we really helping the club by trying to get the game on? With a postponement, a re-arranged game later on might give us a chance of a bonus point, but it seems daft to try and stage the game at all.

#15 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

In theory this game will probably be your clubs biggest earner, and therefore it is in your clubs interest I would have thought to get it on.

#16 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Not sure I agree. Freezing cold Monday evening, result foregone conclusion. Doubt the crowd would be much more than 1100.

#17 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Not sure I agree. Freezing cold Monday evening, result foregone conclusion. Doubt the crowd would be much more than 1100.

But it's income. I reckon it will be on, and it will not be as one sided as you are all saying I reckon.

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

In theory this game will probably be your clubs biggest earner, and therefore it is in your clubs interest I would have thought to get it on.

Yes I think you're right. cash flow must be very poor for all Championship clubs at present and we will be suffereing if the car boots have also been cancelled. You can't pay bills if there's no income, after all.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

I guess the snow shovellers never showed up and a grit lorry was persuaded off Leeds road ? Unfortunatly he dumped most of his load at one end!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#20 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Does anyone know why the game was a 6.00pm kick off?

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users