RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

The RFL has hailed the success of London Skolars in reaching the first final in the club’s history – the inaugural Northern Rail Bowl at Halifax on Saturday July 20.

Despite having their final game of the Northern Rail Cup group stages postponed due to adverse weather, the Skolars are already guaranteed to finish top of Group B and will meet the winners of Group A in the Bowl Final, which will be played as part of the historic Northern Rail Finals Day. The Skolars also remain in contention to contest the main event on Finals Day, the 2013 Northern Rail Cup, and will join all 14 Kingstone Press Championship clubs alongside the winners of Group A in the knock-out stages which begin on the weekend of May 18 and 19.

Their opponents in the Bowl will be either North Wales Crusaders or Oldham as Group A goes down to the last match to determine the league positions and finalist. Oldham won a bruising encounter against a courageous South Wales Scorpions side at the weekend to keep themselves in with a chance of progressing.

“On behalf of the RFL I’d like to congratulate London Skolars on securing their place in the Northern Rail Bowl,” said Rimmer. “London Skolars continue to work hard and have established a strong identity within their local community, with the Friday Night Lights fixture a particular highlight of the Rugby League calendar. It is a just reward that the club are now in with a chance of securing some silverware – although I am certain they will also be hoping to go ever further in the competition.

“The geographical diversity now reflected in its make-up has seen many new players brought into the competition and yet each team has remained competitive. On that basis the Northern Rail Cup, even before it enters the sudden-death stages, has been tremendously successful. The competition this season has produced some fantastic Rugby League with every team registering points. We have already seen some fantastic action in the Northern Rail Cup so far and I feel certain that the action on Finals Day, which will deliver two games of top class Rugby League, will continue to establish this competition’s reputation as one of the most entertaining around.”

Should either London Skolars or the winners of Group A reach the Northern Rail Cup final, the club placed second in their respective group will play in the Northern Rail Bowl final.
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I hope North Wales win this competition seeing as they have produced their own players and are not dependent on SL dual registered players as are Skolars.

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

i second that skolars have been able to call on broncos players but the crusaders have managed with the players on their books, it will be good to see stuart reardon back in a final as well. come on cru.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I like both teams, so I just hope its a cracking final, as I am sure it will be.

Congratulations to both teams for getting there!
Posted Image

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

the only time we blight our team with DR players we lost to the crusaders....

cost us a place in the final

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I like both teams, so I just hope its a cracking final, as I am sure it will be.

Congratulations to both teams for getting there!

Hold on - one of them hasn't got there yet.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Crusaders have to lose at Hemel by 66 points if they are to miss out on the final. Possible I suppose but very unlikely, although Crusaders, should they beat West Hull, will have a Challenge cup tie 2 days before they are due to go to Hemel.

#8 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

So the bowl final will be the first north vs south state of origin?! Like the idea
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Crusaders have to lose at Hemel by 66 points if they are to miss out on the final. Possible I suppose but very unlikely, although Crusaders, should they beat West Hull, will have a Challenge cup tie 2 days before they are due to go to Hemel.

Now I know scheduling is the responsibility of the RFL and so what on earth were they thinking of? How utterly stupid.

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

But anyway ... well done to the Skolars for reaching the Bowl final. That's just fantastic. Hopefully appearing in a final will give a boost to their support.

It will be interesting to see which club of Crusaders and Oldham get through.

#11 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Pretty peeved at having to miss this due to a family commitment.

#12 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Typical rugby league. A genuine good news story and the knockers are already out. They are not "dependent" on the Broncos and I would hazard a guess that they have developed more players for their first team through their youth set up than North Wales have (unless you count picking up ready developed players from Lancashire as a youth programme). I actually like North Wales as a club and they deserve better than to be used to knock the Skolars.

#13 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Now I know scheduling is the responsibility of the RFL and so what on earth were they thinking of? How utterly stupid.

Just to be clear, it is a rearranged date. They were supposed to play last weekend but it was postponed because of the bad weather. That is the best alternative date as it could at least be a free weekend if both clubs get knocked out of the Challenge Cup, any other date would be a few days from a league match instead.

#14 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I hope North Wales win this competition seeing as they have produced their own players and are not dependent on SL dual registered players as are Skolars.

Interestingly in London and SE we all share players. Skolars run teams from U9s to U19s, reserves and first team also very active in teams at MXU, LMU & Southgate. 250 plus players. The structure in London & SE is we all feed players into the Broncos academy structure and players come out the other side and then feed back into the various levels of the game. In terms of the duals they are all lads who are mostly fringe and sit with the squad for most of the season. Not really drop in and drop out. As to Crusaders not sure there are too many that have been produced through their systems?? They are pretty close to the NW player pools so dont need to really. Not sure the critiscm stacks up.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Is it not time to take the NRC final on the road to the midlands, given that the likely bowl finalists will come from outside the north and probably midlands/south?

#16 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Skolars lose their last match in the group stages Hornets 40 Skolars 16 both teams used fringe players and youngsters good luck to them in the final
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users