Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds SL and management

well run?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

It has recently been announced that Leeds RL have made nearly half a million in net profit. Is this because they are well run or have all the major advantages of being in a big city or both? There was some talk in the RL Chat programme of the salary cap limit they can spend being lifted. With the increased competition from Aussie and RU for our players is this a good idea? So many clubs are dependant in all sports of benefactors dishing out their brass, it is good to see some old fashioned profit around.

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

To be fair col I don't see how they can lift the cap to be honest as most of the SL at this present time can't afford the cap as it already stands. Clubs have been going bust with the cap as it is now and I dread to think what teams like London. C@s and wakey etc would do if the cap was lifted because they can't compete really with the cap now. I think its a recipe for disaster for the smaller clubs in SL but also on the other hand for the bigger clubs it could just be what our sport needs to compete with the Aussies. But as we have seen with this DR the SL clubs can't afford to bring youngsters through into the game so upping the cap surely would have to be stupid unless they bring back their under 23s as well but then the DR situation would stop and I would hate to think what that would do to the smaller clubs in the champ as I feel its a life line most of them needed to stay afloat. It's swings and roundabouts which ever way you look at it.

Edited by thundergaz, 27 March 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#3 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Why not reward the well run club by increasing their cap? Show profit or 3 seasons then a % rise in the cap and of course show loss and a reduction.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#4 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Good answers from TG and Lingard. The smaller clubs would suffer. But to give the well run clubs individually a bigger cap might be the right answer as a reward. As I have said on so many occasions it is time for clubs to start running themselves as businesses.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

It has recently been announced that Leeds RL have made nearly half a million in net profit. Is this because they are well run or have all the major advantages of being in a big city or both? There was some talk in the RL Chat programme of the salary cap limit they can spend being lifted. With the increased competition from Aussie and RU for our players is this a good idea? So many clubs are dependant in all sports of benefactors dishing out their brass, it is good to see some old fashioned profit around.

It's because they are well run.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Why would Leeds want a bigger salary cap ?

They already win the Grand Final with the player pool they already have.

As TWIG says, it's good management - along with their big city, middle-class based clientele and their investment in income generating assets.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

I agree Griff with most of that but won't they need a bigger salary cap to retain those players. Wigan are already fighting off Sam Tomkins suitors and more will follow. This goes back to having a good youth policy and the restoring of the under 23's to keep the conveyor belt of young players going. One day the xxxx will hit the fan if something isn't done to keep standards high.

#8 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Lets be honest. Leeds where in both finals if they can,t make profit the game is in th s--t. Come ROVERS.
WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#9 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

As TWIG says, it's good management - along with their big city, middle-class based clientele and their investment in income generating assets.

Middle classes because they live in a city? Oh give me a break. Have you been to Harehills, Headlingley, Hunslet, Beaston etc... Lately Griff.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Middle classes because they live in a city? Oh give me a break. Have you been to Harehills, Headlingley, Hunslet, Beaston etc... Lately Griff.

Most supporters I know are from "working class" areas of Leeds ie Harehills,Hunslet,Beeston,Gipton etc.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Most supporters I know are from "working class" areas of Leeds ie Harehills,Hunslet,Beeston,Gipton etc.

Perhaps - by numbers. But Leeds also have very full commercial and dining areas when I visit. I don't think they just happen to pick the same matches as me. ;)

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Perhaps - by numbers. But Leeds also have very full commercial and dining areas when I visit. I don't think they just happen to pick the same matches as me. ;)

Leeds make more money from corporate hospitality and retail than they do from tickets but that's hardly "middle class".

#13 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Richie if Leeds can't make a profit god help the rest of us.

#14 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I think Griff thinks that poor people follow teams like Featherstone, Batley and Dewsbury and Rich people choose success.

I think he should work for RFL he would fit in.

#15 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think they have sold the cricket half of the ground to Yorkshire CCC? But do they still get income from beer sales at the Test Matches and Rugby Union Matches, plus rent from the Union Club? The ground is a money making machine!

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think Griff thinks that poor people follow teams like Featherstone, Batley and Dewsbury and Rich people choose success.

You reckon ? Fact is, it was the same even when Leeds were at the bottom of the league 20 years ago.

Maybe it's just that rich people have more cash available for "secondary spend".

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Richie if Leeds can't make a profit god help the rest of us.

Of course. But I thought we were discussing - and trying to analyse - why ?

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Leeds make more money from corporate hospitality and retail than they do from tickets but that's hardly "middle class".

So what is it then ? Are all these people in corporate hospitality from Harehills or summat ? :mellow:

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

So what is it then ? Are all these people in corporate hospitality from Harehills or summat ? :mellow:

It's not all middle class as you make out.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

It's not all middle class as you make out.

OK - I disagree, but "class" is a subjective judgement.

It's nevertheless people with a decent wedge to spend at the game.