Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds SL and management

well run?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

OK - I disagree, but "class" is a subjective judgement.

It's nevertheless people with a decent wedge to spend at the game.

A lot of it is companies and sponsors,the Leeds Rugby Foundation use it to reward the clubs in the ambassadors scheme.
I personally leave the Bentley at home and only use the Merc. ;)
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

OK - I disagree, but "class" is a subjective judgement.

It's nevertheless people with a decent wedge to spend at the game.

I know there is only about 6 eagles fans that you could talk to Richie but this is our forum do one 😄😄😄.

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

I know there is only about 6 eagles fans that you could talk to Richie but this is our forum do one .

:lol:

Ironic we should be talking about hospitality here.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

A lot of it is companies and sponsors,the Leeds Rugby Foundation use it to reward the clubs in the ambassadors scheme.
I personally leave the Bentley at home and only use the Merc. ;)

Whatever, TWIG - the fact is that's where the money's coming from.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Whatever, TWIG - the fact is that's where the money's coming from.

And you have evidence to back that up.

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

And you have evidence to back that up.

<sigh>

Yes - the evidence of my own eyes.

Are we arguing here ? If so, what exactly are we arguing about ? :blink:

Are you seriously suggesting that Leeds' off-the-field commercial activities are not a significant contribution to their overall profits ?

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Leeds make more money from corporate hospitality and retail than they do from tickets but that's hardly "middle class".

Just a reminder ......

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've already stated that the majority of Leeds income is from off field activity,your original point was that most of that came from middle class supporters.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

OK - is that all ?

Maybe you're right - all those folk in the hospitality areas probably do come from Harehills and Beeston.

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Just a reminder ......

Your point being

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

OK - is that all ?

Maybe you're right - all those folk in the hospitality areas probably do come from Harehills and Beeston.

I suspect a lot of them aren't actually from Leeds but it's not hugely expensive.
Any way must dash,they've just brought out the prawn sandwiches.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 28 March 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#32 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Leeds is a well organised club with corporate excellent hospitality, aimed at the business community at Friday night home games.

In a previous role, I regularly took clients there and Friday nights at Headingley v Bradford or Wigan for example were superbly organised in excellent facilities.

4 rooms full at up to £500 per table of 10 plus drinks bill.

15 /20 tables in Premier Suite alone at all home games.

Probably 300 /500 per game in varying levels of corporate package every game, generating significant income, with conference /meeting facilities used throughout the week.

Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Exactly - haven't even touched on profits outside of matchdays.

#34 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

This is what I mean about having business sense. When I was an active member of our charity Steve Evans and I used to run a golf tournament at Pontefract Golf course. Entry £200 a team. Raffle tickets £10 each. Made an enormous profit for the Rovers charity. More thinking on those lines outside of the gate size are what's needed. There are thirteen games plus at home and 52 weeks in a year. Use all the year to generate brass. Rovers board and members do a great job long may it continue with more money raising ideas being implemented.

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

This is what I mean about having business sense. When I was an active member of our charity Steve Evans and I used to run a golf tournament at Pontefract Golf course. Entry £200 a team. Raffle tickets £10 each. Made an enormous profit for the Rovers charity. More thinking on those lines outside of the gate size are what's needed. There are thirteen games plus at home and 52 weeks in a year. Use all the year to generate brass. Rovers board and members do a great job long may it continue with more money raising ideas being implemented.

Couldn't agree more. Leeds have more people to sell these things to. That's the advantage of being in a city.

#36 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Also when leeds united nearly folded 10 years ago, Leeds rhinos gates went up as leeds utds went down, also rhinos gained sponsors that were also disillusioned, the city of Leeds have about 50,000 fans each weekend who want to actively watch a sports team, we in the Championship can't match that, I'm sorry to say

#37 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I follow what you say Batley Bob and for the most part you are correct. Featherstone has about 15K population, but support comes from outlying areas and this must be cultivated. We have: Pontefract, Sharlston, Ackworth, Streethouse . Normanton, Knottingley, Ferrybridge, Selby, Womersley, Wombwell, etc to draw on and if marketed right we could get good crowds. in the old days we had supporters buses and special trains. Whilst we haven't got a big city some of these people live just as near as the outskirts of Leeds supporters do. I reckon with the right effort the smaller clubs could get outlying district supporting them. Down to effort and good business sense.

#38 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I follow what you say Batley Bob and for the most part you are correct. Featherstone has about 15K population, but support comes from outlying areas and this must be cultivated. We have: Pontefract, Sharlston, Ackworth, Streethouse . Normanton, Knottingley, Ferrybridge, Selby, Womersley, Wombwell, etc to draw on and if marketed right we could get good crowds. in the old days we had supporters buses and special trains. Whilst we haven't got a big city some of these people live just as near as the outskirts of Leeds supporters do. I reckon with the right effort the smaller clubs could get outlying district supporting them. Down to effort and good business sense.

I agree col but the towns you have mentioned probably will be attracted to SL rugby in c@s or wakey at the minute. But what you say is bang on with the right marketing we could attract outsiders to come watch us especially those who don't follow a team.

#39 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Fev are situated better than Batley in that sense, as we are right in the middle of 4 super league sides with rhinos about 5 miles north , giants and bulls and wakey about 4 to 6 miles in various directions, encircling us all trying to gain fans from our area, then there's us, dewsbury and hunslet trying to pull the same fans

#40 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

I agree col but the towns you have mentioned probably will be attracted to SL rugby in c@s or wakey at the minute. But what you say is bang on with the right marketing we could attract outsiders to come watch us especially those who don't follow a team.

I follow what you say TG and I would make the point that some years ago when I was involved I did a membership and support analysis. You would be surprised at how much comes from out of town and not from Fev. Perhaps our marketing should start at Fev itself. I lived in Flamborough for a while (still got to home matches) and was disappointed how many people from Fev and district on match days were in the area in caravans. I don't know if an analysis has ever been done but quite a few of them I spoke to said they would go to matches if the games didn't intefere with their caravanning. They mostly went Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Does that make Thursday a good day? Of course there is shift work etc to take into consideration. One other way would be to get kids and women involved to the extent that the Rovers games would be first choice in summer weekends. But when you have paid your site fees you want to get full value for your money. So is mid week the answer to bigger gates.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users