Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds SL and management

well run?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I follow what you say TG and I would make the point that some years ago when I was involved I did a membership and support analysis. You would be surprised at how much comes from out of town and not from Fev. Perhaps our marketing should start at Fev itself. I lived in Flamborough for a while (still got to home matches) and was disappointed how many people from Fev and district on match days were in the area in caravans. I don't know if an analysis has ever been done but quite a few of them I spoke to said they would go to matches if the games didn't intefere with their caravanning. They mostly went Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Does that make Thursday a good day? Of course there is shift work etc to take into consideration. One other way would be to get kids and women involved to the extent that the Rovers games would be first choice in summer weekends. But when you have paid your site fees you want to get full value for your money. So is mid week the answer to bigger gates.?

To be honest col I don't know whether mid week games would be better or not. Going off the TV game crowds I would say not but who knows. To be honest col I can't believe how many people live in Fev and support c@s so we might be better recruiting new fans further a field than our home town of Fev.

#42 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

The success at Leeds was built on a strong commitment over years to Friday night games.

This connected to people who are already in Leeds for work. Add to that, finishing off a working week with a game, hospitality food and drink and the weekend then being free has been a real success.
Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#43 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

One of the most crucial elements to the Rhino's success commercially, which has been missed in your analysis is years upon years of winning trophies on the field. Yes they are a big city but I'd bet there are a number of Rhino's fans coming from Batley, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Bradford and everywhere else in the country. I know a couple of lads for instance that travel over from Telford to Rhino's games. I live in Wrexham, I still get the majority of the Batley games home and away (although the Thursday games are a no go, due to work). I often go to watch either St. Helens or Warrington for there Friday night games too if they are at home with a couple of mates from the Chester area.

The fact of the matter is, to a neutral fan, successful, winning teams are a far more attractive proposition than losing teams. Widnes is closer to Chester/Wrexham than either the Saint's or the Wire, Crusaders are even closer still, but they do not hold the same appeal to me as a neutral.

Despite a better class of player on show in terms of fitness and ability in the Friday games, to me, it's like going to the cinema. I enjoy going as a spectacle, yes I'm entertained, but no matter how much I watch them, I can't get as involved as a fan, or be as passionate about the outcome of the game as I do when watching the 'dogs. Purely because I haven't got the emotional attachment gained after watching Saints or Wire for 30 years.

Make no bones about it, the Rhino's success is in no small part to being involved in most of the finals, (world club, Grand and challenge cup finals) in the last decade. Look at Warrington's gates in recent years; they have rocketed due to success on the field, that is far more important than nice ground/environment to watch the game or anything else. I'm not talking about 1 or even 2 seasons success either, you need several years of it to build up so that supporter get passionate about it, like you guys are with Fev and I am with the 'dogs, that affinity doesn't happen over night.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 31 March 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#44 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Don't know about years on years of winning trophies. Leeds were famous for being under-achievers not all that long ago but still dragged in crowds which were better than most. Actually winning championships is a relatively novel marketing idea for Leeds.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#45 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

I may be going too far back for some people but I remember when we won at Headingley and Steve Evans tore them to bits. They weren't always No1.Perhaps it is down to being a big city and having good marketing officials. I used to do a lot of marketing in my working days and found that it is not what you want to sell but what your potential custome wans to buy. Adapt the product accordingly. Before anybody says how can you adapt a game of rugby, I am referring to other interests that could be catered for in our ground and land.

#46 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Don't know about years on years of winning trophies. Leeds were famous for being under-achievers not all that long ago but still dragged in crowds which were better than most. Actually winning championships is a relatively novel marketing idea for Leeds.

Leeds always had massive crowds, I used to watch them a bit with mates from work when I worked there from '78-2002. When our kid signed for them in '78 I was treated like royalty. The locals worshipped their players, I can remember loads of times when lads used to come back from their lunch hour proclaiming that such and such a player was having a pint in the Town Hall Tavern, I always used to reply that it was no big deal and you could often walk down Station Lane in Fev and bump into half a dozen internationals, even the odd Leeds player. My impression of them in the years before Super League, however, was that they had more money than sense, signing the best youngsters from Yorkshire and beyond, and ruining most of them. Only a few became permanent first-teamers, they couldn't keep their money in their pockets, and would often sign a plethora of leading 2nd division players that had worked their way up from the bottom. It didn't bother the directors though, they always had money to burn!

#47 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Leeds always had massive crowds, I used to watch them a bit with mates from work when I worked there from '78-2002. When our kid signed for them in '78 I was treated like royalty. The locals worshipped their players, I can remember loads of times when lads used to come back from their lunch hour proclaiming that such and such a player was having a pint in the Town Hall Tavern, I always used to reply that it was no big deal and you could often walk down Station Lane in Fev and bump into half a dozen internationals, even the odd Leeds player. My impression of them in the years before Super League, however, was that they had more money than sense, signing the best youngsters from Yorkshire and beyond, and ruining most of them. Only a few became permanent first-teamers, they couldn't keep their money in their pockets, and would often sign a plethora of leading 2nd division players that had worked their way up from the bottom. It didn't bother the directors though, they always had money to burn!

i think sometimes they signed players just to stop them playing for other clubs
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#48 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

i think sometimes they signed players just to stop them playing for other clubs

Wigan definitely did that in the period before $uperleague. It led to some rule changes.

#49 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

It would be fair if they reintroduced transfer fees. When a player has been given a good grounding and given experience by a club and his contract ends then there should be a compensation payment to the original club based on the number of years he has been with them when the big boys come to 'pinch' him. Either that or allow a clause in the original contract that the player can't leave without a payment being made for his services. I know the laws of the land forbid it under employent regulations but a bit of fairness would help clubs who in the past survived on transfer fees. Now they are just going down the drain.

#50 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

It would be fair if they reintroduced transfer fees. When a player has been given a good grounding and given experience by a club and his contract ends then there should be a compensation payment to the original club based on the number of years he has been with them when the big boys come to 'pinch' him. Either that or allow a clause in the original contract that the player can't leave without a payment being made for his services. I know the laws of the land forbid it under employent regulations but a bit of fairness would help clubs who in the past survived on transfer fees. Now they are just going down the drain.

It's what happens in every other trade. I'm not saying that's right but it's not just sport that's affected.

#51 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

There can be a way around the law so that we could have transfer fees and go back to the old tribunal system:- At present the money from Sky is shared out equally to all clubs in a particular league or division. Is it legally binding that the money is shared out equally? If not, we could return to a voluntary tribunal system which would not be legally binding, but those clubs refusing to pay the figure set by tribunal could have their Sky money reduced!

#52 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

The success at Leeds was built on a strong commitment over years to Friday night games.

This connected to people who are already in Leeds for work. Add to that, finishing off a working week with a game, hospitality food and drink and the weekend then being free has been a real success.

Having said that, went to watch a Saturday junior game last season and could not get a warm drink or a bite to eat. Not a member of the catering staff on duty. We all put it down to a club making too much money.

#53 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Having said that, went to watch a Saturday junior game last season and could not get a warm drink or a bite to eat. Not a member of the catering staff on duty. We all put it down to a club making too much money.

Where was that? and which teams?

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 April 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#54 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Where was that? and which teams?

Last June/July. Wakefield scholarship v Leeds scholarship. Saturday game. Rob burrows in dugout supervising the Leeds contingent.

#55 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Last June/July. Wakefield scholarship v Leeds scholarship. Saturday game. Rob burrows in dugout supervising the Leeds contingent.

Which ground?

#56 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Which ground?

Owd on a bit. Is this the Murdoch mysteries?. It was the main Carnegie ground.

#57 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Owd on a bit. Is this the Murdoch mysteries?. It was the main Carnegie ground.

That answers it then,apart from the Cafe bar,which is only open on match days,there is nowhere to get hot drinks etc,it's all outside caterers.

#58 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

That answers it then,apart from the Cafe bar,which is only open on match days,there is nowhere to get hot drinks etc,it's all outside caterers.

Can you get a pass-out to get to these outside caterers ?  Like you do at the cricket ?

#59 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Can you get a pass-out to get to these outside caterers ?  Like you do at the cricket ?

Sorry,I meant burger vans etc.HTH