Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh - Good Friday

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Assuming the snow doesn't ruin another weekend of rugby, what are everyone's thoughts on the game?

We got battered last season by Leigh but we've had a few good performaces over the past month and managed 8 points from 4 games. Plus, we matched them fairly well in the pre-season friendly, but that was massively affected by..well...SNOW!!!

I'd be happy with a BP from this one, but I wouldn't rule us out completely. Leigh looked good in the 2nd half last week against Barrow, but they were very slow starting in the first 40.

Does anyone know the last time we beat Leigh in a league match? I know we beat them 18-14 at Hilton Park around 2005, but that was NRC.

**Please try not to ruin the thread with any partnership comments. Leigh, Swinton or otherwise, cheers**

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ha ha. Brilliant last paragraph

I think we'll be well up for it

#3 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

There are rumblings of financial difficulties at Leigh. that could account for their poor first half last week. If we play like we have been doing im not worried.

However, we need to turn up. if we dont it could be another massive defeat.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#4 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

http://www.leighjour...hflow_problems/

#5 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Come on you Lions
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

We stuck it too them but fell short
Few ideaa in atrack and too many spilt early balls
However awesome defensive display

I had leighs answer to Peter kay sat behind me in the south end of the West stand....except he wasn't funny at all. Loved the sound of his own voice. Pity those who sit next to him every week

Ritchie h mom.

#7 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

I thought it was a pretty poor game. Littered with handling errors and pens. Not much attacking rugby played, but a bonus point nonetheless. Kev Penny MOM for the intercept and being our biggest threat from the kick over. Also, his try saving tackle early in the 2nd.

#8 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Disappointed with the number of handling errors. Could have won that. But exc defensively and can't fault effort. A bonus point if nowt else.

#9 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Oh we did some excellent kick offs too!!

#10 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

We are going to have to be on our mettle on Monday at Fev since they got beat today by York !

Message ammended for Peter Perfect !!!

Edited by RIGGY, 29 March 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#11 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Not a lot in it, but thought it was a poor game. Why do 'professional' players insist on chucking the ball forward? Those kick-offs were lethal- although I thought Hawkyard let Penky off with his final one! It's almost like you conceded the tries to give yourselves a decent attacking platform close in!

#12 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Oh we did some excellent kick offs too!!

I think we've got the best re-start in the league! Let's face it, we get to practice a fair bit...bring on Fev!

#13 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I thought Leigh will be more worried than us after today's game as they produced very little on attack. I thought the ref was poor missed far too many forward passes from both sides and I am sorry to say it but I would like to see Brad Dwyer at scrum half, keep Mark Smith at hooker - or even loose forward and if needs be put Ian Watson at hooker. The set pieces really are too slow and we never run from deep, so the ball receiver always got hammered by the Leigh defence - interestingly Leigh hardly kicked today - I thought every team puts the high kick into the corner when attacking close to the try line........:)

#14 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

We are going to have to be on our metal on Monday at Fev since they got beat today by York !

Sorry Riggy. I think you meant to say mettle, not metal.

#15 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Whatever you say about the actual match and both teams' performances, the overriding delight on display today was the totally brilliant retro jerseys worn by both set of players. The Lions in their once famous blue with white V and Leigh in their historic 'cherry and white' outfit.
Next season it'll be back to the same old messy kits which fail miserably to impress. :rolleyes:

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just a little footnote re the match programme/s. What is really just a basic run-of-the-mill programme becomes an interesting post match read when we discover Steve Wild's history page. Reading Steve's fascination contribution never fails to be appreciated by the discerning fan and makes for better programme value at £2.50.
Keep up the good work Steve, you're a star. :D :rolleyes: :o

#17 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Keith that's very much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users