Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Vultures begin to circle on France's crop of young french players

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

It has been reported in the Perpignan local paper L'independant that the local Union team USAP are bidding to tempt the Dragons young full back Morgan Escare to switch codes.
(I shall post a link as soon as I find the article)

This is a concern as I feel for the first time Catalan are starting to develop a core of promising young native players through their ranks, not just players who can just about play at pro level but can also flourish and go onto become world class.

Bousquet is a monster having a great season so far and will develop in the next 2-3 years into a world class prop, Simon has also been strong and has great potential, Remi Casty has always impressed and was selected for the dream team, quality player, Barthau has had more game time this year and will get better, Morgan Escare is a livewire and already tipped for big things, Larroyer and Pala are raw but have potential. The kid at Salford I'm sure will turn into one of the best half backs in the comp, Pellisier is already one of the best hookers in SL and improving all the time, add to that Benjamin Garcia playing at Brisbane Broncos Toyota Cup team.

If France/Catalan can keep these players in the game for the next 2-4 years then the gap between England and France will decrease, imo, the sport needs a strategy to hang onto these core of players and my fear is that once these kids start to really make a name for themselves they will be enticed to switch codes and the sport can't afford for this to happen.

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

drivel.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#3 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Usap are struggling their running out of money, also in the local press,

#4 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

drivel.............

Constructive post, nice one...

#5 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

France suddenly start to seem to have more options in the halves. They've got Bosc, Barthau, Fages, Chisholm and (can he qualify? Dureau) as well as some decent forwards. Where's Dimitri Pelo these days?
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#6 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

So long as those vultures are other RL teams it's all good I reckon. NZ only has one top level team, but there are loads of Kiwis playing in the NRL. It's a well trodden career pathway for young Kiwis and I would argue that we have seen the benefits of that in recent tournaments.
Young French players joining other RL teams opens up pathways for French players and broadens the talent base.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#7 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

France suddenly start to seem to have more options in the halves. They've got Bosc, Barthau, Fages, Chisholm and (can he qualify? Dureau) as well as some decent forwards. Where's Dimitri Pelo these days?

He played last weekend for the NSW comp team Mounties, I think feeder to Canberra and scored a try in their loss to Cronulla Sharks reserves. A try scorer for Cronulla was Tony Gigot who played with Pelo at Catalans. Good to see.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#8 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

I didn't know Gigot was in Australia, let's hope he does well.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

He played last weekend for the NSW comp team Mounties, I think feeder to Canberra and scored a try in their loss to Cronulla Sharks reserves. A try scorer for Cronulla was Tony Gigot who played with Pelo at Catalans. Good to see.

Is the catalyst that Catalans were intended to be now working out?

It's been what? seven years?

Where will the French be in another seven???

Will Toulouse accelerate things??

#10 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

To me nothing short of sensational. Wembley, 80 minutes shy of Old Trafford in 2009, a 3rd & 4th finishes. What more could you have asked for.

8th campaign. Brutus growing by the day. Work on new permanent giant TV screen commenced yesterday.

Where will the French be in another seven???

With a 2nd Super League club on board growing the game. A bigger foot front. Perpignan stuck on the Spanish border too remote alone to make the break through.

Will Toulouse accelerate things??

Yes. They would deliver a another major media out let via 'Le Depeche du Midi'. Toulouse the 4th city of France. Although Zalduendo has resigned his position at Toulouse Olympique he retains the vital post as leader of the clubs influential Table Ovalie - which assembles the shakers & movers public and private. This will be the key I believe for them.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

So long as those vultures are other RL teams it's all good I reckon. NZ only has one top level team, but there are loads of Kiwis playing in the NRL. It's a well trodden career pathway for young Kiwis and I would argue that we have seen the benefits of that in recent tournaments.
Young French players joining other RL teams opens up pathways for French players and broadens the talent base.

But that's the problem - it's not a well trodden path for young Frenchmen to come to this country. And that's where any comparison with New Zealand falls down. Kiwis head to Australia in significant numbers, in all walks of life. It just doesn't happen with us and the French for obvious reasons (language, culture etc.) Realistically, the only way to broaden the base of full time RL players in France is to have more full time teams over there.

#12 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Maybe Fages being in this country will show others that it can work. He has spent a few years here and has had an education as well.

#13 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

But that's the problem - it's not a well trodden path for young Frenchmen to come to this country. And that's where any comparison with New Zealand falls down. Kiwis head to Australia in significant numbers, in all walks of life. It just doesn't happen with us and the French for obvious reasons (language, culture etc.) Realistically, the only way to broaden the base of full time RL players in France is to have more full time teams over there.

I'd agree with that, but what I would add I suppose is that the numbers of French players migrating may well start to increase and arguably already you can see the benefit of that in Fages playing regularly for Salford in a key position.
Admittedly, they're unlikely to be world champions any time soon and I think you are right that France needs extra SL clubs in order to become a strong international force.

#14 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true - there are tens of thousands of young French people in London. Admittedly, it might be harder to persuade young French guys to come over to the North, but the if the money and opportunities are right I don't see why they wouldn't.

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true - there are tens of thousands of young French people in London. Admittedly, it might be harder to persuade young French guys to come over to the North, but the if the money and opportunities are right I don't see why they wouldn't.

That's a good point about London - there is indeed a sizeable French population there. But it doesn't happen elsewhere in the country. But I'd still say that there is no comparison with the situation with Kiwis going to Australia, which my original point was about. I'd agree it needs a few more like Fages to come over, but more importantly for Fages to forge a successful career in this country.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Maybe now is the time to start a trend.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Nice to see there was an all French bench last weekend too.

I do wish Jean Philippe-Baile would get more game time, even if it's at another club.

If Fages is the current marker for overseas development then Elima would have a wealth of experience to offer andy youngster looking at move to England.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Isn't it something like...the number of French people in London makes it the sixth largest city of French nationals. The other five are in France!

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Sounds about right.

Young lad, aged 11 or 12, sees the Catalans in their first season and thinks "Bloody hell, I want to play this" (or French equivalent).

He'd be just hovering on the fringes of a first team debut now.

The pipeline in RL is a long. It takes a decade to grow a young lad into an SL player. Anyone who thought it would be quicker than that didn't think it through.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Maybe Fages being in this country will show others that it can work. He has spent a few years here and has had an education as well.

Having been involved in a scheme to get young French players over to UK clubs, I can tell you there was only serious interest from one club despite a number of others wasting our time and efforts !
French juniors now more prepared to go to Australia after the treatment received from UK SL clubs.
My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users