Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA National Cup 30/March/2013

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

My club play in the Summer. I love the BARLA National cup competition. Isn't it, and always has been, a Winter
competition? I don't expect BARLA will be changing the dates to suit any particular group of clubs. I would like to see my club enter but no point as our league season will have started when the later rounds are played. It was our choice to move to Summer. I don't think BARLA should change traditional dates to suit anybody.

#22 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

if that's the case then surely the answer would be to devise a competition for those clubs that want to play in summer?

#23 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Its nice to see BARLA have considered the summer clubs when announcing this year's dates for the 'used to be' National Cup.

An opening round of Saturday 18th January is far too early to play games in what is the worst month of the season. It would be easier to rename the comp the Yorkshire Cup and be done with it!

Lets flip that for a second......

Perhaps they have scheduled it and being very nice to the summer clubs they have put it then as not to interfere with their main league schedules....Ok so i am joking but why should they move it? You have a choice on entering or not.

#24 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

"You have a choice on entering or not"

You are correct in your statement - and the answer will almost certainly be that there will be little or no entries from outside of Yorkshire once again.

The competition is drastically in need of an overhaul, or just scrapped altogether. It cannot continue to be taken seriously in its present form

#25 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

The BARLA National cup has been played on the same dates (depending on the number of entries) since 1973, and incidentally, I have the results of every round! BARLA didn't ask the NCL and majority of the NWCL clubs to move to Summer. That was their choice, effectively ruling themselves out, or being forced to field weakened teams. The NCL don't allow the clubs to postpone league games for the National cup either, but the clubs knew that and voted on it. As I have said I have always loved the BARLA National cup, and for that matter, I would also like to see the County cups given back their dignity. I would love to see my NCL club playing in the National and Lancashire cups. but we ruled ourselves out of them. I think you will find that the National cup will be taken very seriously by the teams that do enter. Go along to the final and see.

#26 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sorry Celtic rooster really disagree. The national cup is still in its traditional slot but times have changed and it should be moved! It used to be tradition to wear dress pants on a night out!!

My club play in the BARLA Cumbria men's league and would have backing to participate as would clubs in Lancashire but we can't because of the timing so do BARLA represent all there membership at tier four or just Yorkshire????

If Stuart prior and roger Fagge were still at BARLA this would have been moved. The final is still a great day but the prestige of the competition has nosedived and that is totally avoidable
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#27 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Sorry Celtic rooster really disagree. The national cup is still in its traditional slot but times have changed and it should be moved! It used to be tradition to wear dress pants on a night out!!

My club play in the BARLA Cumbria men's league and would have backing to participate as would clubs in Lancashire but we can't because of the timing so do BARLA represent all there membership at tier four or just Yorkshire????

If Stuart prior and roger Fagge were still at BARLA this would have been moved. The final is still a great day but the prestige of the competition has nosedived and that is totally avoidable

What a load of rubbish.

Theres the date. Move your fixtures or don't play.

There is the date: Your choice. Play or don't enter.

There is the date.

Planning anything in Jan?

#28 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

So answer his question who do Barla represent ?

#29 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

So answer his question who do Barla represent ?

That's my point us Cumbrians have remained loyal to BARLA and I'm sure stu prior would have found a way to let the Lancashire teams take part!

Lion head, we start back training 7th jan after four months off and Christmas lads will be no good to take part mid February and we and a load of other Cumbrian clubs would have took part

Do BARLA want an outdated tradition or a national cup that's restored to some of its Former glory? And as taxi eggs says if BARLA can't serve its member clubs/leagues what's its purpose??

Edited by gillmeister, 14 December 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#30 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the support Peter and you are spot on, the competition was being looked at with a view of moving to include any teams summer or winter. However as events have transpired this review will not be happening.

I agree with many that the competition has nosedived into a more or less regional competition and this is why the review was needed if it was to regain any credibility. Plans were already in place to meet with NCL mamangement and clubs and talks with various people were already taking place behind the scenes.

It's interesting to note that an item included in the BARLA Chair's pre-election manifest was the BARLA National Cup. To my knowledge not a jot of attention has been paid to this item by the chair.

Moving aside slightly it's was revealing to hear that Pennine ARL plan to launch a conference type division with an interim season to be played in March - May, which in truth was a BARLA initiative. Given the chair's connections with the Pennine ARL it is easy to see which way the association is moving.

Moving even further aside - or should I say in a northwesterly direction - what odds on the chances of BARLA repeating the funding for the Cumbria Men's ARL in 2014?

#31 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the support Peter and you are spot on, the competition was being looked at with a view of moving to include any teams summer or winter. However as events have transpired this review will not be happening.

I agree with many that the competition has nosedived into a more or less regional competition and this is why the review was needed if it was to regain any credibility. Plans were already in place to meet with NCL mamangement and clubs and talks with various people were already taking place behind the scenes.

It's interesting to note that an item included in the BARLA Chair's pre-election manifest was the BARLA National Cup. To my knowledge not a jot of attention has been paid to this item by the chair.

Moving aside slightly it's was revealing to hear that Pennine ARL plan to launch a conference type division with an interim season to be played in March - May, which in truth was a BARLA initiative. Given the chair's connections with the Pennine ARL it is easy to see which way the association is moving.

Moving even further aside - or should I say in a northwesterly direction - what odds on the chances of BARLA repeating the funding for the Cumbria Men's ARL in 2014?

#32 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Realistically I cant see BARLA repeating the funding as the driving forces behind it have left BARLA. Last year both BARLA and the RFL were willing to invest in the league will the RFL still be waiting in the wings?

Any winter based conference should surely be ran by BARLA also, otherwise if the Pennine have complete control of winter based rugby that further diminishes the need for BARLA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users